Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 04:31:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Apostle (1997)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Apostle (1997)  (Read 1427 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:36:22 PM »

Robert Duvall's finest hour! Robert has put on great performances through the years in his legendary career, but this performance is what stands out the most. He is absolutely mesmerizing as the fast talking Preacher from Texas. If you have yet to see this film, please do yourself a favor and do so. Robert also produced, wrote, and directed this great, great film. This was a very personal story Duvall wanted to tell for years, and what a journey it is to witness it. Seeing Robert Duvall act in this film, you find yourself forgetting who you're watching as an actor. He becomes this part, literally! You are not watching Robert Duvall. You are watching Sonny. He is that great!

Jack Nicholson won Best Actor in 1997 for his work in "As Good as It Gets." Jack was wonderful in the role, Jack being Jack, but if anybody has seen Robert Duvall in "The Apostle", he was clearly the won should of won the award. He got the nomination, rightfully deserving, but from my view, he's the one who should have won. He was that great! One of the best performances you will ever see, period. The movie as a whole is something special. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will inspire you. Not many films have all these qualities in them. See it now!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:46:13 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
lovelyrita
Bandido

Where are you going, for Christ's sake?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »

Robert Duvall's finest hour! Robert has put on great performances through the years in his legendary career, but this performance is what stands out the most. He is absolutely mesmerizing as the fast talking Preacher from Texas. If you have yet to see this film, please do yourself a favor and do so. Robert also produced, wrote, and directed this great, great film. This was a very personal story Duvall wanted to tell for years, and what a journey it is to witness it. Seeing Robert Duvall act in this film, you find yourself forgetting who you're watching as an actor. He becomes this part, literally! You are not watching Robert Duvall. You are watching Sonny. He is that great!

Jack Nicholson won Best Actor in 1997 for his work in "As Good as It Gets." Jack was wonderful in the role, Jack being Jack, but if anybody has seen Robert Duvall in "The Apostle", he was clearly the won should of won the award. He got the nomination, rightfully deserving, but from my view, he's the one who should have won. He was that great! One of the best performances you will ever see, period. The movie as a whole is something special. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will inspire you. Not many films have all these qualities in them. See it now!

I am not sure I can say it better concerning this movie. This was one of Duvall's finest hours..He was magnificent.  There were moments when I almost forgot I was watching an actor. He was 100% believable. I got the same feeling when I watched  Helen Mirren in the "Queen" and Forest W. in "The Last King of Scotland".

I also loved that Duvall hired non actors in a few of the roles.  It doesn't always work but it did with this production.  The whole movie was in itself inspirational.  If you haven't seen it, treat yourself.

"Did you make coffee?"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM