Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 05:19:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Day of the Jackal (1973)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Day of the Jackal (1973)  (Read 7449 times)
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »

Just noticed someone on the board has a new sig pic from this movie, and thought I'd start a topic. This movie is quite possibly one of my favorite movies of all time. I only saw it for the first time earlier this year and it totally stuck with me. I also really liked The Odessa File, another Forsyth adaptation starring Jon Voight. I've tried reading both of those books, but couldn't get passed the first several pages. Forsyth has too dry of style for me, but at least those two books made great films. Anyways, discuss...

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:16:56 AM »

I'll tell you what. . . despite several attempts at trying, I'd never been able to get past the first hundred pages of "Jackal". Not because I don't enjoy it, it's just that I've never had the time.

I saw the movie many years ago on TV, and only vaguely remembered it. I decided for whatever reason to rent it this past week, and I was completely blown away.

The best thing about the film is that it is utterly realistic. Zinnemann's directoral style is not flashy or stylish, he simply lets the actors and sets do the work for him. Some criticize this style of direction, but in the case of certain films it works perfectly. Virtually no soundtrack music, a very economical screenplay, and amazingly naturalistic performances by Fox, Lonsdale, and others completely draw you into the world of the film. Even though the outcome is more or less inevitable, at least for those who know their history, you're still left wondering throughout how Lebel is going to stop the Jackal. . .

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »

Actually, he isn't the Jackal, Edward Fox turns out to be an even more mysterious person who was pretending to be the Jackal (needed the name recognition to get clients, I guess). I've always liked that little twist on the ending. A great film.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:17:35 PM »

Actually, he isn't the Jackal, Edward Fox turns out to be an even more mysterious person who was pretending to be the Jackal (needed the name recognition to get clients, I guess). I've always liked that little twist on the ending. A great film.
True, I completely forgot about that.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 03:05:45 PM »

Wasn't "The Jackal" name given to him after he was hired to do the assasination, and the twist was that the name they all thought he had wasn't his but just another cover. That's the way I thought it was.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:28:11 AM »

The Day of the Jackal (1973)  5/5  As good as a thriller can get.  A good test for these kind of movies is who you're rooting for, and I was rooting for the Jackal all the way although I did feel bad for the old lady in the apartment.  Most things aren't spelled out for you, but I never felt confused watching it.    Takes it's time moving some, but everything feels necessary, no pointless scenes.  Great movie. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »

Saw it on TCM too agreed!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »

The Day of the Jackal (1973)  5/5  As good as a thriller can get.  A good test for these kind of movies is who you're rooting for, and I was rooting for the Jackal all the way although I did feel bad for the old lady in the apartment.  Most things aren't spelled out for you, but I never felt confused watching it.    Takes it's time moving some, but everything feels necessary, no pointless scenes.  Great movie. Afro

I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my faves (see my signature). The only thing I take issue with is your siding with the Jackal, I was rooting for Michael Lonsdale and Co. the whole time. I actually prefer it to the book, which is a classic in its own right.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:43:39 AM »

Well that's the genius of "Jackal". We know De Gaulle's going to survive, but the question is how?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

This isn't strictly speaking true. It's an interperetation, but it's not definitely what happens. The novel doesn't seem to indicate this reading, at least.

Anyway, I bump this thread because the movie's on TCM at 8 PM EST tonight. I may watch, I'm not sure because I've seen this movie 495 times already.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:35:57 PM »

If anyone's interested... Edward Fox talking about Day of the Jackal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLpm8v3EiyM&feature=youtu.be

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »

Great! Thanks..

One of my favorites too. I like Zinnemann a lot  in general (except Oklahoma! & Behold a Pale Horse maybe),
but this is one of his 2 or 3 best. If you ever see him in a doc (there's a nice one from 1982 by a female
Austrian filmmaker) you'll realise the mood and the style of the film is very much the man himself. Educated,
sophisticated, intelligent - but never arrogant.

I saw it first in 1980 in our cinema here. A double feature with FROM HERE TO ETERNITY. Great night Smiley

rare still from my archive:

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:26 PM »

This isn't strictly speaking true. It's an interperetation, but it's not definitely what happens. The novel doesn't seem to indicate this reading, at least.
Haven't read the novel, I was only going by what I saw in the film. What would an alternative reading be?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »

The implication is that Scotland Yard just confused the Jackal with Calthrop, and they lucked out in nailing his identity. Yours is an interesting idea though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:28 PM »

rare still from my archive:

Neat! It's hard to find behind-the-scenes stuff about this movie so finding this video (and now your still) is a treat. Afro

My favorite Zinnemann flick is probably The Nun's Story, though Jackal and A Man for All Seasons are pretty high on my list.

I caught about half an hour of Behold the Pale Horse before accidentally deleting it off my TiVo. Can't say I was horribly upset.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:24:34 PM by Groggy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM