Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 04:39:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Which american western...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which american western...  (Read 12910 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2007, 11:05:13 PM »

...made prior (or even after) to 1964 would you show back to back with FOD to illustrate everything Leone went up against?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:43:36 AM »

Thats a good question... it would have to be one with a lot of mellodrama, too much dialog, little action, and a big love interest.  A sung title song by the "Sons of the Pioneers" would be a bonus. Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:36 AM »

Well, any singin' cowboy 30's and '40's movie would fit in. But I don't think we could take them as examples as much Hollywood production had distanced itself from that output in the '50's.  I was rather thinking about some more evolute example from the 50's which retains some of the western blood but waters it  down by sticking to some schlock  Hollywood rules. Shane comes to mind. But probably there's something else.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:25:10 PM »

Here's one, watching it as I type "San Antonio" with Errol Flynn, overblown Hollywood, at its worst.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 02:50:37 PM »

Here's one, watching it as I type "San Antonio" with Errol Flynn, overblown Hollywood, at its worst.

I really liked that one!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »

Well in "San Antonio", everyone's way too clean, it has way too much of a love story, and it has a lot of overblown sterotypes.

Any early cheap John Wayne Republic Picture would do too where the heavy (villian) really is the heavy. It seems that AMC on early Saturday mormings always has one of these on.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 04:10:09 PM »

Thats a good question... it would have to be one with a lot of mellodrama, too much dialog, little action, and a big love interest.  A sung title song by the "Sons of the Pioneers" would be a bonus. Grin

Right, CJ. If I may add:
- Neatly pressed shirt and no dust at all on clothes and face after a 30 miles ride.
- No visible sweat after a 5 minutes fight
- Hair perfectly combed in every scene, in particular the hero and his lady
- The bad guys mostly dressed in dark clothes
etc. etc.
So my next question is: don't you think that 99% of westerns produced before Leone were of this type??? Wink

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 04:42:47 PM by Leonardo » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »

A lot for sure but the worst were in the late 30's to early 50's. By the time you started getting the Psycological Westerns after WWII things began to change a bit the heros were becoming flawed rather than "boy scout" types.

A lot of early John Wayne Republic Pictures were like the boy scout type.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 05:03:14 PM »

But I don't think they were what Leone was shooting at. Later Hollywood western did that too, partially. His aim was higher.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »

I was rather thinking about some more evolute example from the 50's which retains some of the western blood but waters it  down by sticking to some schlock  Hollywood rules. Shane comes to mind. But probably there's something else.

Try "No Name On the Bullit" (1959) with Audie Murphy.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:57:14 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:24:18 PM »

Why not show the American Western at its best, and then SL excelling such an example? I'd pair Vera Cruz with a Leone. Or is it the Italian way to fight only straw men?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 10:26:51 PM »

Try "No Name On the Bullit" (1959) with Audie Murphy.

I wanted to see that.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 05:40:15 AM »

Why not show the American Western at its best, and then SL excelling such an example? I'd pair Vera Cruz with a Leone. Or is it the Italian way to fight only straw men?

I don't think its that, I believe he wants an example of an average B American Western from the pre Leone period to match up against what I consider Leone's  B "A Fistul Of Dollars".

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 07:20:31 AM »

Very good point. It's not really fair to compare Sergio's movie to "Paradise Canyon" or a Gene Autry movie like "The Phantom Empire". It would be like comparing "Attack of the Crab Monsters" to "Jaws" or "Psycho".

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »

Vera Cruz would be ok, but it has well know stars, which would be sort of the reverse, no?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM