Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 07:10:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  De Niro's work in OUATIA versus that of The Godfather Part II
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which work by De Niro is better?
Vito Corleone   -5 (31.3%)
David 'Noodles' Aaronson   -11 (68.8%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: De Niro's work in OUATIA versus that of The Godfather Part II  (Read 7367 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »

I think Robert De Niro's work in both films is brilliant. I think we all agree with that statement. Through the years, De Niro's work in "The Godfather Part II" has gotten a lot more credit and is talked about much more than his work in OUATIA. The big reason here is that he won an Oscar for playing the young Vito Corleone.

We often here everyone talking about his performances in Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, and Heat being in my opinion his last great performance, but people seem to forget that he was also brilliant as 'Noodles' in OUATIA, a performance I thought was Oscar worthy.

I wanted to start this thread/poll to show my appreciation for his work in OUATIA and compare it to his other great mafioso related performance in that of "The Godfather Part II."

That being said, I also have to make a decision which part I think is better. I consider OUATIA to be one of the greatest achievements in Film History. Robert De Niro is one of many reason's why. De Niro is great here but if I had to choose I'd have to give the slight edge to his performance as Don Corleone. The reason why is because he had to learn a Sicilian Dialect that's not easy to learn and he perfected it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »

Noodles is the far deeper character while Vito is the far better performance. I voted Noodles.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 08:26:52 PM »

Noodles is the far deeper character while Vito is the far better performance. I voted Noodles.

Great point rrpower. That makes a lot of sense.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 06:03:28 AM »

I think his performance in OUATIA is very good, but I'd put "Taxi Driver" way ahead of it. I was really impressed by his performance in "Godfather II", having to learn a foreign language and giving a dead-on characterization of Marlon Brando's character from the first film. So I'll give the edge to that one.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:39:37 AM »

I love this. We're neck and neck at the moment! You're making some great points about each character guy's. Keep 'em coming.

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 07:35:56 AM »

I think that he played both caracters masterfully but if I must choose, I would give a slightest edge to Noodles.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:34:36 AM »

I think that he played both caracters masterfully but if I must choose, I would give a slightest edge to Noodles.

Really Bill. That shocks me. It's actually shocking me that Noodles is winning right now.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:47:18 PM »

Great in both movies. But I prefer OUATIA, so I'll go for Noodles, for the same reason than rpower.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »

Really Bill. That shocks me. It's actually shocking me that Noodles is winning right now.

Why is that shocking? Cos you like Vito's character better, or cos you liked Godfather II better?

Not only is Noodles a better charcter than Vito, he also stars in the better film of the two (in my opinion).

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »

Why is that shocking? Cos you like Vito's character better, or cos you liked Godfather II better?

Not only is Noodles a better charcter than Vito, he also stars in the better film of the two (in my opinion).

It's shocking because De Niro had to go through so much more to prepare for the young Vito Corleone. I've read what he had to go through and how he had to learn that hard Sicilian dialect. That's not an easy thing to do. He not only had to learn it, but he has to prefect it. Also, he had to model his character after that of Brando. The manerisms as such. I'm not saying the character of Noodles wasn't hard to prepare for, it was, but not to the extent of Vito Corleone.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 04:11:49 PM »

It's shocking because De Niro had to go through so much more to prepare for the young Vito Corleone. I've read what he had to go through and how he had to learn that hard Sicilian dialect. That's not an easy thing to do. He not only had to learn it, but he has to prefect it. Also, he had to model his character after that of Brando. The manerisms as such. I'm not saying the character of Noodles wasn't hard to prepare for, it was, but not to the extent of Vito Corleone.

But that's to be expected.. De Niro had to model himself after a character that existed, and had to act like a younger version of him.

In OUATIA, it was the opposite.  So, of course The Godfather prep was more difficult.  But the product, to me, is that OUAIA portrayed a better character.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »

OUATIA because its better

Mw/NNrules
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 06:27:49 PM »

Both are truly great performances. In fact, they're both so good, I couldn't decide, so I used "Eni Meni Miny Mo". For those who haven't heard of it, it is an intense strategy game with deep roots in the seventeen hundreds. Half a guessing game, half an extreme intrepretation game. In fact it is the influence for even more barbaric games, such as Russian Roulette, and others of even more deadly proportion. It must be played between two people. The other basic rules are very hard to explain, but are indeed fascinating. I analyzed both characters to their cores, and began the game. As I said before, it is hard to explain, but in the end David "Noodles" Aaronson won.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »

Both are truly great performances. In fact, they're both so good, I couldn't decide, so I used "Eni Meni Miny Mo". For those who haven't heard of it, it is an intense strategy game with deep roots in the seventeen hundreds. Half a guessing game, half an extreme intrepretation game. In fact it is the influence for even more barbaric games, such as Russian Roulette, and others of even more deadly proportion. It must be played between two people. The other basic rules are very hard to explain, but are indeed fascinating. I analyzed both characters to their cores, and began the game. As I said before, it is hard to explain, but in the end David "Noodles" Aaronson won.

hahaha, dude...!!  i'd laugh but I'm really sleepy.... here's my courtesy smile.. Grin

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »

As much as I think OUATIA is GENIUS, and of course a masterpiece, I will never say it's better than The Godfather Part II. That film is just as GENIUS as OUATIA.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM