Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 03:34:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  De Niro's work in OUATIA versus that of The Godfather Part II
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: Which work by De Niro is better?
Vito Corleone   -5 (31.3%)
David 'Noodles' Aaronson   -11 (68.8%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: De Niro's work in OUATIA versus that of The Godfather Part II  (Read 7376 times)
Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »

As much as I think OUATIA is GENIUS, and of course a masterpiece, I will never say it's better than The Godfather Part II. That film is just as GENIUS as OUATIA.

Gasp!

Well, you're entitled to your opinion.  Tongue

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »

Gasp!

Well, you're entitled to your opinion.  Tongue

haha of course. I understand your love for the film Sonny, but people need to be aware of The Godfather, and The Godfather 2 as some of the most brilliant filmmaking ever.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 09:37:40 AM »

All three are great. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that great in a while.

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 03:49:00 AM »

Really Bill. That shocks me. It's actually shocking me that Noodles is winning right now.

I`m not very much surprized with that TB. I wouldn`t be surprized if Noodles win or if Vito win. Both parts are great!

It's shocking because De Niro had to go through so much more to prepare for the young Vito Corleone. I've read what he had to go through and how he had to learn that hard Sicilian dialect. That's not an easy thing to do. He not only had to learn it, but he has to prefect it. Also, he had to model his character after that of Brando. The manerisms as such. I'm not saying the character of Noodles wasn't hard to prepare for, it was, but not to the extent of Vito Corleone.

But that's to be expected.. De Niro had to model himself after a character that existed, and had to act like a younger version of him.

In OUATIA, it was the opposite.  So, of course The Godfather prep was more difficult.  But the product, to me, is that OUAIA portrayed a better character.

Here, maybe, I will agree with you Sonny. TB I agree that prepareing for Vito`s role was more complicated, but I think that we must say that DeNiro in role of Noodles, practically "holding" the whole movie and the whole movie "lies" on him (nevertheless other great performancies by other actors - simply his caracter is made like that), but in the Vito`s role he wasn`t "holding" the whole movie like that. In "The Gotfather II" he made brilliant performance, simply great, but his caracter of Vito in "The Gotfather II" wasn`t like his caracter of Noodles in OAUTIA. We must say that in "The Gotfather II", that kind of caracter, that kind of "main" role, was Al Pacino`s Michael.

I don`t underestimate DeNiro`s performance in "The Gotfather II" (like I said, both roles are simply great and I like DeNiro very much), but in OUATIA the whole movie are "spinning" around Noodles caracter, but that is not the case in "The Gotfather II", when we speak about DeNiro`s Vito.

Just my opinion, though.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:56:34 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
mal247
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 03:59:39 AM »

Good point Bill.

The whole movie is built around Noodles and seen from his perspective. Once his character is introduced, there are very few scenes without him.

Smiley

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 05:52:01 AM »

Good point Bill.

The whole movie is built around Noodles and seen from his perspective. Once his character is introduced, there are very few scenes without him.

Smiley

Yes! Afro

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 09:17:23 AM »

Yes! Afro

You're the man Bill, but I'm still not conviced. It doesn't matter if the film rely's on Noodles for the whole film. Vito was still the harder part to play in my humble opinion. It is fun talking about it though! Smiley

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »

You're the man Bill, but I'm still not conviced. It doesn't matter if the film rely's on Noodles for the whole film. Vito was still the harder part to play in my humble opinion. It is fun talking about it though! Smiley
I agree. Learning that dialect of Sicilian, and copying Brando.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »

Thank you!

Bill Carson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:26 AM »

Thank you TB. Afro

My opinion is not very much different than yours. Smiley   I`m just saying that for me "Noodles caracter" has a little advantage (I`m not talking about DeNiro`s roles and acting - both roles are simply great) over Vito.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:37:13 AM by Bill Carson » Logged
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 02:58:11 PM »

While Vito might be more impressive acting wise, Noodles is more complex. Both are good roles.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM