Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 26, 2022, 08:08:58 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Not many films take you in like this. It's quite simply...captivating.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Not many films take you in like this. It's quite simply...captivating.  ( 20807 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #15 : August 24, 2007, 08:47:40 AM »

I'm in Arizona, and as I've posted before, in 1969 Once/West played only in second-run theaters, not in the bigs at all (no scene of Bronson getting up after being shot by Strode, no "but sons of bitches...yeah".  When Once/America played first here, it was the butchered chronological version, and my brother saw it.  In early 1985 the full version played at one of the two "art theaters" in town (the type that showed "Adventures of Robin Hood", etc., as VCRs were just starting to take off).  All I can say is "wow", and I knew I'd have to see it again many times to fully digest it.  I've never seen the chronological version, and don't intend to.  Yes, and the 2003 extended DVD is nice.  Reference to another post: I also loved the "going to bed early", and felt that just meant that he was keeping his nose clean, staying out of trouble, just a great line.

I can't believe you had the opportunity to see these great films in the theatre Cusser! What an experiece that must of been. You're lucky enough to be old enough to experience that!

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #16 : August 24, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »

To be honest: I agree.  I've been able to experience a lot, from World Series 1960 Game 7, World Series come-from-behind wins in 1971 and 1979, five Pittsburgh Super Bowl championships, my kids' sports chamionships and successes, the Leone films in theaters on original release (except Once/America not until restored version in 1985).  Heck, I even saw My Name is Nobody, three Sabatas, Day of Anger, Death Rides a Horse, the Stranger films, all in theaters as first run, plus stuff like Casablanca, Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, How the West was Won (cinerama).  Like Noodles: I have my memories.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #17 : August 24, 2007, 07:11:37 PM »

To be honest: I agree.  I've been able to experience a lot, from World Series 1960 Game 7, World Series come-from-behind wins in 1971 and 1979, five Pittsburgh Super Bowl championships, my kids' sports chamionships and successes, the Leone films in theaters on original release (except Once/America not until restored version in 1985).  Heck, I even saw My Name is Nobody, three Sabatas, Day of Anger, Death Rides a Horse, the Stranger films, all in theaters as first run, plus stuff like Casablanca, Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, How the West was Won (cinerama).  Like Noodles: I have my memories.

Wow Cusser, you're a lot older than I thought. So you're a Pittsburgh fan huh? Oh boy, I can't stand the Steelers. hahaha it's all in good fun though.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #18 : August 26, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »

Wow Cusser, you're a lot older than I thought. So you're a Pittsburgh fan huh? Oh boy, I can't stand the Steelers. hahaha it's all in good fun though.

Careful how you speak about the Steelers, or I'll lynch you.

I agree that some of the fans are obnoxious, but there's nothing wrong with the team, it's one of the classiest organizations in the NFL. At least it used to be, dunno how things will play out with Cowher gone.

Saturday nights with Groggy
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #19 : August 26, 2007, 09:41:49 AM »

I agree that some of the fans are obnoxious, but there's nothing wrong with the team, it's one of the classiest organizations in the NFL.
Huh!  The Rooney family  made their fortune in alcohol running/prostitution. I would not call
that a "class organization". And yes, I have lived in Pgh. all my life. :P

« : August 26, 2007, 09:43:44 AM geoman-1 »
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #20 : August 26, 2007, 09:50:18 AM »

I meant in regards to player/staff activities. Most of the trouble-making players get booted if they act up one too many times.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #21 : August 27, 2007, 08:27:32 AM »

I agree that some of the fans are obnoxious, but there's nothing wrong with the team, it's one of the classiest organizations in the NFL. At least it used to be, dunno how things will play out with Cowher gone.

hahahaha I respect the organization Groggy, but I still dislike the team. I'm a diehard Washington Redskins fan. I like nobody else. I don't go for that "I have a second favorite team" garbage. hahaha. "HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!" O0

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #22 : August 27, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

Too bad your team hasn't been good in years. :P

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #23 : August 27, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »

Too bad your team hasn't been good in years. :P

Tell me about it. Every year we're good on paper and every year it's the same old crap. We never gel. I'm not even going to say anything anymore and just see how it plays out.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #24 : August 27, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »

I'm 54.  Born and lived my first 14 years in Pittsburgh.   My brother and I used to take streetcar into downtown, over the Monongehela River, get a transfer to Forbes Field, then reverse it after the game; of course I was 13 at that time (he was 14), these days no one would ever let kids that age do that on their own.  Would like to go back, but my job is very specialized, and in Arizona.  We're getting streetcars here soon - they call them "light rail" now.  I figure we're about 100 years behind Pittsburgh.

geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #25 : August 27, 2007, 05:07:13 PM »

I'm 54.  Born and lived my first 14 years in Pittsburgh.   My brother and I used to take streetcar into downtown, over the Monongehela River, get a transfer to Forbes Field, then reverse it after the game; of course I was 13 at that time (he was 14), these days no one would ever let kids that age do that on their own.  Would like to go back, but my job is very specialized, and in Arizona.  We're getting streetcars here soon - they call them "light rail" now.  I figure we're about 100 years behind Pittsburgh.
Well Cusser, things have changed quite a bit here in the 'burgh. My company was involved in the pre-design
engineering of the new North Shore Connector which entails an underground light-rail subway tunnel under the Allegheny River. Construction started this year. Now we won't have to worry about those dang, pesky bridge collapses anymore O0

« : August 27, 2007, 05:09:43 PM geoman-1 »
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #26 : September 12, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »

TB, I completelly agree with the title you gave this thread, because I experienced it myself... It's really a big pity with what they did to this film on its original release. Leone was at least a bit retaliated by the fact I got the FULL version of this in the USA... ;D

And you're right about the feelings like you were there. It has awesome atmosphere, more than atmosphere. I really felt like being there. I'm wondering how would I feel if I hadn't visited Brooklyn before seeing it, though... but I guess I would feel almost the same. The difference only is, that now I know it haven't changed that much since then...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #27 : September 12, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »

TB, I completelly agree with the title you gave this thread, because I experienced it myself... It's really a big pity with what they did to this film on its original release. Leone was at least a bit retaliated by the fact I got the FULL version of this in the USA... ;D

And you're right about the feelings like you were there. It has awesome atmosphere, more than atmosphere. I really felt like being there. I'm wondering how would I feel if I hadn't visited Brooklyn before seeing it, though... but I guess I would feel almost the same. The difference only is, that now I know it haven't changed that much since then...

Thanks a lot marmota and I equally enjoyed your responce! Not many films take you in like this, and I'm happy that I own this piece of brilliance!

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #28 : September 13, 2007, 02:39:03 AM »

I'm happy that I own this piece of brilliance!

I'm happy, too, and I'm happy that I finally kicked myself to see it! ;D

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #29 : September 15, 2007, 09:07:42 AM »

I'm happy, too, and I'm happy that I finally kicked myself to see it! ;D

I know, it took you long enough! ;)

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines