Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:23:19 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  There Will Be Blood (2007)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There Will Be Blood (2007)  (Read 57560 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 05:43:01 PM »

Take a film like "Legends of the Fall" its not really a Western either, we should come up with some kind of description for these.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »

Take a film like "Legends of the Fall" its not really a Western either, we should come up with some kind of description for these.

I actually think LEGENDS has a lot of traditional western elements in it though. But, you're right cigar, it's not a full blown western film.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 05:57:15 PM »

I actually think LEGENDS has a lot of traditional western elements in it though. But, you're right cigar, it's not a full blown western film.

This might not apply to the whole movie, but its kind of a "chick western" and I don't mean that in a negative way. Smiley  Lots of romance, love story, that kind of thing.  It is a good movie though.

That last shootout at the end, very Godfather-esque, even has elements of Peckinpah with the use of slow motion as the police are shot down.  Great performances all around as well, Pitt, Hopkins and Quinn.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

This might not apply to the whole movie, but its kind of a "chick western" and I don't mean that in a negative way. Smiley  Lots of romance, love story, that kind of thing.  It is a good movie though.

That last shootout at the end, very Godfather-esque, even has elements of Peckinpah with the use of slow motion as the police are shot down.  Great performances all around as well, Pitt, Hopkins and Quinn.

I personally love LEGENDS OF THE FALL. It won an academy award for it's gorgeous cinematography and rightfully so. I know it's a little overboard with the romance but I don't mind it. Nothing wronng with romance! You're right about the great performances as well Ben Tyreen!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 04:48:09 PM »

It's getting closer to the release date. I'm getting excited! I'm still hearing great things about this film.  Smiley

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »

Haven't seen it yet, but it gets 9/10 on IMBD (again, I know... IMBD...). But still, more than GBU... This aggression will not stand.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »

Haven't seen it yet, but it gets 9/10 on IMBD (again, I know... IMBD...). But still, more than GBU... This aggression will not stand.

new releases, that get a lot of fanfare, always have high scores on IMDB because fanboys like to use alternate accounts to boost the ratings.

Give it about 6 months before you can get the actual rating.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »

new releases, that get a lot of fanfare, always have high scores on IMDB because fanboys like to use alternate accounts to boost the ratings.

Give it about 6 months before you can get the actual rating.

That's true, but I somehow think this film will have a high rating when all said in done.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »

That's true, but I somehow think this film will have a high rating when all said in done.

It's you, ha? Be honest!  Grin

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 11:12:02 AM »

Most of the public can't remember any films over 6 months old as ever existing. 

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 02:41:48 PM »

Most of the public can't remember any films over 6 months old as ever existing. 

It's because 80% (if not more) of the members on IMBD don't go there to talk about about movies. It's just an excuse for squabbling. It's why I don't go there anymore.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 04:29:12 AM »

This aggression will not stand.

You're right Dude. This is not 'nam, these are movies, their are rules.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 08:34:40 AM »

You're right Dude. This is not 'nam, these are movies, their are rules.

Hehe, funny guy Jean-Pierre.  Cheesy

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 05:03:20 AM »

I saw the trailer the day before yesterday when I went to see 3:10 to Yuma. It looked actually pretty promising Afro But I have quite a few movies already on my to-see-list and too little money in my pockets so I'm not sure if I'm going to see this one. Maybe if it comes to the smaller and cheaper theater near to me...   

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 08:36:15 PM »

Here's a review from my good friend who seen it in NYC.

I must say that this film got me hooked during the first 20 minutes. I'v heard that PTA wanted to make something simular to "2001: A Space Odyssey." Well he came very close. The first 20 minutes has NO dialogue. Which was just perfect for the introduction of one of the most evil, and hateful characters that I have ever seen. But what makes it simular to "2001??" Well just think of the men as the apes, and the oil as the Monolith. The difference, is that the Monolith gave more life to humanity, thus creating more intelligence. Oil brings death, destruction, greed, and blood. This film doesn't make a political statement, it's already there in Anderson's direction. He makes the soul look like a sickness. A diseaser that came straight out of hell, to consume humanity's soul.

Now is "There Will Be Blood" Anderson's greatest achievement?? YES. It's also the best film of this decade, and it's definitly the best film of 2007. Sure, the protaganist is not that likeable. But he's very realistic, and authentic. Mostly due to Daniel Day Lewis's tour de force performance. The man is not an actor, he is a force of nature. He wasn't acting in this masterpiece, he was possessed by some kind of demon. He delives one of the greatest performances of all time. Is it up there with what Deniro did in his prime?? YES. Is it up there with what Brando did in "The Godfather??" YES. Is it up there with what Pacino, Burton, and O'Toole use to do in their primes?? Of course. Infact, I will say he is even more talented then Deniro, and Pacino. Acting is a tough job, but he makes it look so easy to immerse yourself into your characters, while staying in character throughout the entire film.

Paul Dano was equally wonderful as well. He played the priest, who was also a con artist. He brought alot of innocence to his role. But he also let you know that his character is not a saint. And by the end of the film, he's just as bad as Daniel. Infact, you get to see things from Daniel's point of view. Thus understanding why he hates people. Everywhere he goes, he finds somebody who doesn't match his view of goodness. People lie to him, hit him, steele from him, and betray his trust. He wants to see something good in people, but he always gets dissapointed. He was an evil monster. But he was an evil monster that I could understand, and even sympathize with.

PTA has taken his directing to a whole new level. His motion tracking is not evident in this film at all. He paces the film beautifully, with long shots, and long tracking shots as well. His direction in "There Will Be Blood" is very simular to the likes of Kubrick, Malick, and Peter Weir. He made this masterpiece in the way that he wanted to make it. And he trusts the intelligence of film-goers to appreciate his art. He doesn't dumb down his films for a lesser audience. And I'm so happy that filmmakers like him still exist in this world of ADD, MTV, ADD editing, and acid editing.

The audience that I saw this film with, seemed to love it. There was an applause towards the end, and everybody loved Daniel Day Lewis's performance. If he doesn't win the oscar, then the world really is ending(lol). And "There Will Be Blood" is an instand classic. It will be compared to other masterpieces like "Citizen Kane", and "The Godfather." But it won't just be compared to American films. It will also be compared to the works of Tarkovsky, Bergman, Leone, and Kurosawa. I hope PTA will keep this up. Because right now, he is a master filmmaker.

I give "There Will Be Blood" a 10/10.

P.S: I would like to mention that the score was both wonderful, and haunting at the same time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM