Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 12:09:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  There Will Be Blood (2007)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: There Will Be Blood (2007)  (Read 58774 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »

After having had  a steady diet of HappyTreeFriends, I expected that animated character to live up to the name of this thread. I'm very disappointed. Cry

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2008, 10:13:19 AM »

http://www.acapela-group.com/Greetings/1-b7f24622add5b

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:32 PM »

Grin Grin Grin But still no blood!

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:26 PM »

"Im sorry but... this movie is a western. It has every main theme of Western : individual, Man, society, family, friendship, religion, birth of a nation, nature (and the relationships between these elements). In one word: Justice (in its biggest and philosophical meaning)."

But what about the cowboys?'

DVD RELEASE 4/8/08

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2008, 06:39:15 AM »

But what about the cowboys?'
DVD RELEASE 4/8/08

You mean the guys that you never see in TWB, GBU, FFDM, FOD, OUATITW, and most westerns? Smiley
Well, i guess Open Range is one of the only westerns of the world.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:40:51 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

Genius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ClsOQdlUE

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »

Afro Afro Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Whalestoe
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »

Great find! I laughed extremely hard.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »

DVD Savant's take on the film:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2547bloo.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 10, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »

HATED Anderson's previous films, so I was in no rush to see this. Imagin my surprise when I discovered that in this one the camera was often locked off and many shots lasted as long as ten or twenty seconds. Beautifull cinematography from Robert Elswit, nice use of one of Avro Part's best known compositions (though using an inferior performance), and fairly engaging; up to a point.

No idea why there are comparisons with CITIZEN KANE, as good old Charlie FK has his fortune handed to him on a plate. If anything it was more like Nic Roeg's EUREKA, however D Day aside all the other characters were bland to the point of not even existing, which lead to the third act, the bit in the 1920's sinking the whole bloodless film for me. And while D Day was great when not speaking, every time he opened his gob it was to deliver such an absurd John Huston impersonation (of which I do a not bad one myself) I was laughing out loud in places. Absolute shite, and I'm amazed that given the terrible script it ever got major studio backing.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 06:23:51 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »

Rented TWBB this week and thought it was great.  I've really come to appreciate NCFOM and probably enjoyed it more on the whole, but I think Blood should have gotten best picture.  DDL WAS Daniel Plainview and by the end it doesn't even seem like acting anymore.  I think my favorite part was Jonny Greenwood's music which reminded me at times of Lost music and other times tinges of Morricone but whatever the inspiration, I loved the music.

Can't quite give it a 10/10 because at times I thought it drifted a little too much, but I'll go a very strong 9/10 almost bordering on falling over to tendom. Afro

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:42 AM »

No idea why there are comparisons with CITIZEN KANE, as good old Charlie FK has his fortune handed to him on a plate. If anything it was more like Nic Roeg's EUREKA, however D Day aside all the other characters were bland to the point of not even existing, which lead to the third act, the bit in the 1920's sinking the whole bloodless film for me. And while D Day was great when not speaking, every time he opened his gob it was to deliver such an absurd John Huston impersonation (of which I do a not bad one myself) I was laughing out loud in places. Absolute shite, and I'm amazed that given the terrible script it ever got major studio backing.
"When I say I do John Huston impersonations, you will believe I do John Huston impersonations." To be fair, I doubt the script said anything about DD-L's intended performance.

The parallels with CK aren't exact, but the comparison has some usefulness since both films are about rich men who come to dominate an industry that has bearing on the larger culture around them. For my part, the comparison points up a problem the films have regarding their lead characters. CFK is in the end revealed to be a hollowed out shell (and therefore, ultimately uninteresting), and DP, while entertaining at times, dwindles into a total bore. In the case of Kane this is less of a problem, since we are introduced to a host of other well-rounded characters: Mr. Bernstein, Leland, Susan Alexander Kane. In Blood, Plainview is, as you point out, the whole show. Once you've tired of him, or tired of waiting for some kind of change in him, there's no longer any reason to stick around.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: April 13, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »

The movie has elements of Treasure of the Sierra Madre as well, no doubt emphasized by the Huston impersonation.

Juan, your review is spot-on. That's exactly my problem with the movie: the whole film focuses squarely on Plainview, and when it comes right down to it, he's not that interesting or compelling of a character. That, and the ending was skull-crushingly idiotic.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »

I see there is some polarisation on the board regarding TWBB. I can only point out what I though were the glaring faults that spoiled it for me, while freely admitting its qualities. Yet another piece of nonsense was the bowling alley itself. Why on Earth would a creature like Plainview, who is  as we have seen content to sleep on a Spartan floor even as a wealthy man have, of all things, a bowling alley built in his basment? I guess you could counter it was for his "son", but as we have never seen him give that poor shade a thing in any other part of the picture its a bit convinient that he's giving away bowling alleys now, just at the point he's about to self destruct. Painfully contrived.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »

Call it contrived, but I didn't see it that way.  Picture this, Plainview's buying this huge mansion and the agent is trying to explain all the things he could/should put in his house.  If other rich home owners have done a bowling alley in their homes, maybe he mentions it and Daniel goes along with it because otherwise his house is empty.  It's not what the character might do, but it's something everyone else would do.

Really, the bowling alley is secondary to me.  It was more of a visual thing IMO that we have this empty, vacant white bowling alley.  It could have been anything sharp or blunt that Daniel used to go after Eli so what's the problem with a bowling pin?  Who's to even say that Daniel uses the bowling alley, it could just be there for show?  There's so much the viewer is not sure of about the character, this is just one more thing to question.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM