Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:50:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favourite Scenes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favourite Scenes  (Read 5436 times)
Sid the Pig
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2003, 05:37:11 PM »

My favourite OUATITW scenes are:
(1) The scene where the ginger haired Timmy runs out to find Frank and the boys heading his way. Cue the music and boy what music.
(2) Frank’s almost touching grin as he pulls the trigger and shoots Timmy.
(3) The station scene where Cardinale realises she is not being met and decides to head for Sweetwater, that fantastic pan shot over the station, later copied by Spielberg in Jaws.
(4) Those fabulous lines of “looks like we’re shy of a horse” and Bronson replies “you bought two too many”.

Some questions for you.
Why were the McBain family so ugly?
Why did Frank not shoot Morton at the puddle, did he go soft?
Why the time difference between the station clock and Jill’s watch?

People scare better when they're dyin'.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 07:29:04 AM »

The opening scene and climactic duel, of course;
Morton's death scene (just hearing the Morton theme brings a tear to my eye  Cry If anyone can tell me where I can find this piece of music . . .)
The tavern scene is sheer cinematic brilliance, some very dry humor between Jill/the Bartender, Cheyenne/Harmonica, etc;
The train scene where Cheyenne frees Harmonica.  Possibly the best action scene ever filmed.

1) How should I know why they were "so ugly"?
2) He realized Morton was gonna die anyway, why waste the bullet?
3) It was to show the elapse of time, i.e. Jill arrived at noon but she didn't leave for quite some time.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 08:03:37 AM »

Hey Grog - the Morton music is on the import soundtrack CD of Once Upon a Time in the West, released a few years ago. I don't know the track number.  Be careful, you want the one with 23 tracks, not 13.  I have this and it's great.  I can't remember if it was German or Italian, but you need the 23 track verstion !

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 12:04:43 PM »

Opening sequence,esp. Jack Elam and the fly

Tavern scene,"Yes,play Harmonica,but watch out for those false notes"

Auction scene,my fav' funny bit

Dialogue,not completely accurate
"Judas sold out Jesus for 50 dollars"
"They didn't have dollars in them days"
"But sons of bitches,yeah"

Shootouts[obviously]

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 04:06:42 PM »

Hey Grog - the Morton music is on the import soundtrack CD of Once Upon a Time in the West, released a few years ago. I don't know the track number.  Be careful, you want the one with 23 tracks, not 13.  I have this and it's great.  I can't remember if it was German or Italian, but you need the 23 track verstion !

23?  I'd heard it was twenty . . .

Anyway, I trust your judgment on this.  Undecided

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 04:08:04 PM »

Opening sequence,esp. Jack Elam and the fly

Tavern scene,"Yes,play Harmonica,but watch out for those false notes"

Auction scene,my fav' funny bit

Dialogue,not completely accurate
"Judas sold out Jesus for 50 dollars"
"They didn't have dollars in them days"
"But sons of bitches,yeah"

Shootouts[obviously]

For me, the funniest part was when Frank shot Wobbles.  I mean, when he shot him in the suspenders and the belt buckle (to "drive home" Frank's earlier point).  Very . . . er, dark humor?  I thought it was funny anyway.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 07:55:17 AM »

Hey, Grog, here's the link.  i don't know how to post the picture.  http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/review.asp?offset=790&ID=1275
Once Upon A Time In The West

Composer : Ennio  Morricone

Conductor : Ennio Morricone

Label / No. : RCA Original Soundtrak 74321-66156-2 (OST 143)

Year of release : 1969

CD release: 1999

Total duration : 49:45

Reviewed by: John Mansell

"Originally released in 1969, this stylish spaghetti Western soundtrack is one of Morricone's most popular scores from that period and genre. The film, directed by Sergio Leone, was hailed as a masterpiece by many and also rubbished by just as many. The movie was something different from the dollar movies, and is Leone's first movie with a reasonable budget. To boost the production Leone cast Henry Fonda in the role of one of the principal characters, along with Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards and Charles Bronson. Morricone produced a beautiful evocative score that matched the screen action perfectly. Many referred to the movie as Leone's opera, one critic saying that it was an opera where the arias were stared rather than sung. Another said that it was a horse opera, with too much opera and not enough horse.
This soundtrack has seen many reissues on LP and also on CD. In fact in the same week that this expanded version was on the shelves in Britain, RCA put out yet another version of the original pressing along with two of the dollar movies, in a two CD box set. So is this all-new expanded version worth the £16:99. In my opinion it certainly is. There are seven additional cues, which have a collective running time of nearly 15 minutes.

The sound quality is a little sharper than the original RCA release. Art work is much better on both the front cover, inside liner and back cover, though sadly there are no sleeve notes, which would have enabled explanations of where they found the additional cues etc. There is an alternate version of 'Cheyenne' minus the whistling by Alessandro Alessandroni, also an alternate version of Jill's theme, which is a lot slower than the main version. This employs weepy sounding strings played in conjunction with a musical box effect. A mournful, rather low-key and sombre version of the harmonica theme is also present. Track 12, entitled 'Frank' is performed on cello, supported by other strings and then joined by a solo oboe which takes on the theme until the track ends.

The highlight of the extra cues for me is the inclusion of the track 'Morton'. This is the music that Morricone wrote for the scene where Henry Fonda leaves the character played by Gabrielle Ferzetti, to die in the desert. This is a poignant and touching composition and although short-lived is highly effective both in the movie and on the CD. The final additional track is 'Epilogo', which is based on a reprise of harmonica's theme. This is again performed on woodwind, accompanied by slow underlying strings, which are periodically interspersed with the searing strings that are present in the cue 'Come Una Sentenza'.

Overall this is a very attractive package and one that I am sure will be popular. Hopefully more Morricone scores will be made available with extra music. The Good The Bad And The Ugly, for example, has a good deal of extra music that was not included on the original album, and the tapes are available, but the record company that has them for some reason will not release them. Top class Morricone"

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2003, 10:23:24 AM »

Answers
1. Who knows?
2. Frank is cruel and wants Morton to die slowly.
3. It shows that she has waited a long time for the wagon.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2003, 12:03:31 PM »

1.  nyuk
2.  nyuk
3.  nyuk

Where's my DVD Dammit!  I've waited long enough.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2003, 01:37:56 PM »

That moment we drop out of harmonica's flashback (the huge Morricone wall of sound reaches its climax)  BANG And Frank is spun around into his own shadow by the gunshot - the wind & silence - trying to holster his gun and all - look of dispair -

'opera of violence' indeed  Wink  Grin

« Last Edit: November 12, 2003, 01:39:34 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Sid the Pig
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 03:19:13 PM »

Yep when Frank dies it is pure Fonda magic,what a way to go huh<br>
I liked the bit where he tries to holster his gun, and misses.

People scare better when they're dyin'.
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 11:22:49 AM »

Groggy:

Re:  Frank shooting the guy wearing suspenders and a belt three times...

I distinctly remember when the movie was shown on a Sunday night on ABC in early 1972, they edited that down to a single shot.

I guess there was some sort of one bullit per killin' rule in place at the time.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 11:53:50 AM »

Groggy:

Re:  Frank shooting the guy wearing suspenders and a belt three times...

I distinctly remember when the movie was shown on a Sunday night on ABC in early 1972, they edited that down to a single shot.

I guess there was some sort of one bullit per killin' rule in place at the time.

Or maybe the censors didn't get the joke . . .  Roll Eyes

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 12:00:47 PM »

One bullet for each suspender latch, one for the belt buckle.  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM