Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2017, 12:46:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Saw (series)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saw (series)  (Read 7131 times)
BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »

With the release of Saw IV approaching, I thought I'd start a thread to see if anyone else love these flicks around here. I remember seeing the first one in theaters back in the fall of '04 (funny how it feels like such a long time ago). I really loved it. I thought it had the most shocking twist ending of any movie I've seen (I won't spoil it if you havent seen it and are planning to, though I think by now with as many sequels as there are it wouldn't effect new-comers as it did to us who saw it when there was only the first one). I thought the idea of making a Saw II was stupid, thinking the first one was an instant thriller classic (I don't consider them to be of the horror genre) and any sequel would be useless.

I went to see it anyways to give it a chance and thought that they handled it very well. It took the elements of the first one and turned it into an extravaganza, with more than one twist at the end. With Saw III they pulled back and made it the most small scaled of the series so far, though that for it's own good IMO, since at the end, while they did leave room for more movies, it would've felt enough like a trilogy had they decided to stop. I'm sure Wan and Whannell had this in mind to be the last of a trilogy, and maybe it was all Bousman making subtle sequel set-ups at the end of Saw III.

Either way, I'm cautiously optomistic about Saw IV since Whannell isn't writting the movies anymore. Word is they're planning to make a Saw V and a Saw VI. As long as the quality keeps up, I'm totally on board for this to get up to VI which would take it to '09 if they keep up the one-a-year schedule. Having a Saw movie every fall has been great and has become a tradition with me and my friend to go see the new Saw movie during the Halloween season.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 10:59:08 PM »

I have yet to see a Saw film and I don't think I ever will. This kind of film never really interest me. But in your case BeauButabi, I hope it's good.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:06:43 PM »

I have yet to see a Saw film and I don't think I ever will. This kind of film never really interest me. But in your case BeauButabi, I hope it's good.

You can watch a predator film with all kinds of action but not a 90 minute horror movie thats more pyschological than gore? Huh

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »

You can watch a predator film with all kinds of action but not a 90 minute horror movie thats more pyschological than gore? Huh

That's a sci-fi fantasy action film. Saw takes it to a whole other level. People actually sit in the theatre when these assholes up on the screen take part in such horrific acts and they LAUGH and cheer. Something's wrong with people.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »

That's a sci-fi fantasy action film. Saw takes it to a whole other level. People actually sit in the theatre when these assholes up on the screen take part in such horrific acts and they LAUGH and cheer. Something's wrong with people.

I don't know how you can really judge the audience that go to see Saw when you yourself haven't even seen 1 movie of the trilogy. Huh

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »

I don't know how you can really judge the audience that go to see Saw when you yourself haven't even seen 1 movie of the trilogy. Huh

I've heard. I have quite a few friends who love these films. I ask them questions. Plus, I've witnessed these kinds of audiences for these types of films before. We have some sick people in our society. Like for example, the Halloween film. I just seen it. During this horrific murders this sick bastard on screen commits...people actually LAUGH and CHEER and think this shit is funny when it's not ment to be. You know what I mean?

It's mostly the young generation though. Anyone with half a brain, sits there and is scared, or just watches like you're supposed to be. Get it?

Don't compare a film like SAW to Predator. Two totally different genre's.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 11:31:15 PM »

I've heard. I have quite a few friends who love these films. I ask them questions. Plus, I've witnessed these kinds of audiences for these types of films before. We have some sick people in our society. Like for example, the Halloween film. I just seen it. During this horrific murders this sick bastard on screen commits...people actually LAUGH and CHEER and think this shit is funny when it's not ment to be. You know what I mean?

It's mostly the young generation though. Anyone with half a brain, sits there and is scared, or just watches like you're supposed to be. Get it?

Don't compare a film like SAW to Predator. Two totally different genre's.

So you heard and saw a couple of people laugh during a horror movie? Dude if the film is being laughed at it musn't really be that scary.

I am more of the being involved kind of guy at the movie so when i see something dumb i might find it hilarious.

I wasn't really making a comparison in genre but more of the violent content.Where Predator has like 5 marines killing commies at a 1:10 ratio while Saw1 has 4+ people dying.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 11:34:08 PM »

So you heard and saw a couple of people laugh during a horror movie? Dude if the film is being laughed at it musn't really be that scary.

I am more of the being involved kind of guy at the movie so when i see something dumb i might find it hilarious.

I wasn't really making a comparison in genre but more of the violent content.Where Predator has like 5 marines killing commies at a 1:10 ratio while Saw1 has 4+ people dying.

Hey, if you like these films, that's cool. I'm just saying, they're not for me. That's all.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 11:42:43 PM »

The Saw series is a totally different type of thing than slasher movies like Halloween and such. It has extreme violence, but I don't think that they were played for laughs in these. Just because a bunch of stupid teenagers laugh at stuff like this doesn't mean that what they're watching was made for those people's enjoyment. Those types of people laugh at anything. I remember a few people laughing and cheering during A History of Violence during the more graphic scenes. While the Saw movies are definately marketed to the slasher fan blood-hounds, I'm sure there's enough people who see the deeper meanings in these subtley cereberal pieces of work.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:44:38 PM by BeauButabi » Logged

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 11:46:22 PM »

The Saw series is a totally different type of thing than slasher movies like Halloween and such. It has extreme violence, but I don't think that they were played for laughs in these. Just because a bunch of stupid teenagers laugh at stuff like this doesn't mean that what they're watching was made for those people's enjoyment. Those types of people laugh at anything. I remember a few people laughing and cheering during A History of Violence during the more graphic scenes. While the Saw movies are definately marketed to the slasher fan blood-hounds, I'm sure there's enough people who see the deeper meanings in these subtley cereberal pieces of work.

That's cool BeauButabi. I wasn't putting anybody down for liking them. I was just saying, the people who laugh at them are just not very mature is all I'm saying.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »

So Saw IV was released this past Friday. I just saw it last night and it left me very satisfied as a fan of the series. There's still a few things from previous films they didn't resolve, but nothing that can't be thought out with a simple answer you can think up yourself and still left it ambiguous enough in case they want to resolve stuff in future sequels. Can't wait for Saw V.

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »

I'll stand up for TB some.  I'm not a huge horror/thriller fan, but I'll watch one if its supposed to be good.  But with these new types of horror movies, maybe not as much Saw as the Hostel series, I don't get it.  These torture flicks are too much for me.  But to each his own. Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 09:21:32 PM »

The Saw movies have held my interest due to the story - it may be overly complicated, but it's the only horror franchise I can think of that isn't just "New sequel, new bunch of disposable victims, refresh, rinse, and repeat". The stories directly continue from the last movie and the same group of actors return for each one. It's almost like a comic book series where if you miss an issue, you can't follow the story. That said, Saw IV is certainly the worst one yet.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »

Here's the first poster for Saw V, coming out October 24th.

Absolutely CANNOT wait for this one. Definetely the only Saw sequel that I've been more than a little anxious for. Probably due to the nature of how Saw IV ended, though. It's interesting reading back on this thread since there's been a similar discussion going on over at the Mania boards for the past few days. Here's a link to it if anyone's interested: http://www.mania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5722

- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

Another one?Huh!!!!!

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print