Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2018, 11:46:52 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  World War II films
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
: World War II films  ( 21028 )
KevinJCBJK

« #15 : September 08, 2007, 09:16:57 PM »

I think World War II will be a focus for a couple of months.  PBS will be televising Ken Burns next documentary this month beginning on 9/23 on World War II, The War.  A lot of the local stations will be carrying programs that have a local area slant on the war.  He's going to take a similar approach like with The Civil War in depicting the history of the war by using very personal stories of soldiers from specific cities and towns.

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/

I'll be sure to check it out Noodles! Thanks!  O0

KevinJCBJK

« #16 : September 08, 2007, 09:20:08 PM »

Letters From Iwo Jima is excellent (if you ask me), but it's in no way a fun movie. Not to say that you were expecting a comedy or something. I've only seen the beginning of Das Boot, which was good, but I just didn't watch much more then twenty minutes. Shame on me. Off topic, I have a friend who doesn't mind subtitles, which makes me think there's hope for the future (of film buffs, and smart people in general, not cinema, which is taking a turn for the worst). Haven't seen Schindler's List.

That's great your friend doesn't mind subtitles, most film goers I know act like they are illiterate.

Yeah the first 20 mins of Das Boot was great. Nothing funnier than a bunch of drunk German sailors pissing on their officer's cars, and shooting guns.

And that one Captain calling Churchill an asshole  ;D

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #17 : September 08, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »

If you want to be pedantic, WWII begun when Germany occupied the Rhineland in 1935. . .

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #18 : September 08, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
Patton
The Longest Day
The Guns of Navarone
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Thin Red Line
The Dirty Dozen
The Pianist
Memphis Belle
Empire of the Sun
12 O'clock High
Where Eagles Dare
Letters From Iwo Jima
From Here to Eternity
Castle Keep
Sands of Iwo Jima
Objective, Burma!
Kelly's Hero's
God Is My Co-Pilot
The Desert Rats
Downfall
Flags of Our Fathers
Tora, Tora, Tora
Up From The Beach
Das Boot
Hell Is for Hero's
Flying Leathernecks
Cross of Iron
Von Ryan's Express
Come and See
The Fighting Seabees
They Were Expendable
In Harm's Way
Battle of the Bulge
Back to Bataan
Enemy at the Gates
A Bridge To Far
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
The Desert Fox
Flying Tigers
Pearl Harbor (Yes I enjoyed it and I don't care what you think)

« : September 11, 2007, 10:21:01 PM Tucumcari_Bound »

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
KevinJCBJK

« #19 : September 08, 2007, 10:27:28 PM »

If you want to be pedantic, WWII begun when Germany occupied the Rhineland in 1935. . .

Or how about when Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931?

WWII began in 1919 with that Treaty of Versailles.

I would like to see Stalingrad (1993) it's a German film about German soldiers fighting at Stalingrad. Very unusual for us, because the Germans are always portrayed as the bad guys. Now we get to see it through their perspective. A very human approach that during WWII we were actually fighting Germans, Nazis were a minority.

Also Downfall was a great WWII film. Bruno Ganz deserves credit for stunning and realistic portrayal of Adolf Hitler. He even sounded like him!

KevinJCBJK

« #20 : September 08, 2007, 10:28:23 PM »

Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
Patton
The Longest Day
The Guns of Navarone
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Thin Red Line
The Dirty Dozen
Memphis Belle
Empire of the Sun
12 O'clock High
Where Eagles Dare
Letters From Iwo Jima
From Here to Eternity
Sands of Iwo Jima
Kelly's Hero's
Flags of Our Fathers
Tora, Tora, Tora
Up From The Beach
Flying Leathernecks
Von Ryan's Express
The Fighting Seabees
They Were Expendable
In Harm's Way
Battle of the Bulge
A Bridge To Far
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
The Desert Fox
Flying Tigers
Pearl Harbor (Yes I enjoyed it and I don't care what you think)

Great list Tucumcari, I'll let you go about Pearl Harbor. But Tora! Tora! Tora! is the better film  ;)

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #21 : September 08, 2007, 10:32:29 PM »

Great list Tucumcari, I'll let you go about Pearl Harbor. But Tora! Tora! Tora! is the better film  ;)

People just put down Pearl Harbor because of the love triangle, and they don't understand that LOVE is apart of LIFE. I'm not saying it's a CLASSIC, because it's not, but Pearl Harbor is one of those films that gets a lot of undeserved criticism. Oh, my list is not finished Kev!

KevinJCBJK

« #22 : September 08, 2007, 10:40:29 PM »

People just put down Pearl Harbor because of the love triangle, and they don't understand that LOVE is apart of LIFE. I'm not saying it's a CLASSIC, because it's not, but Pearl Harbor is one of those films that gets a lot of undeserved criticism. Oh, my list is not finished Kev!

There were some good scenes in Pearl Harbor, especially with the Japanese background, even though Yamamoto wasn't on the carriers. But the love triangle is not what upsets me, you can say the same for From Here to Eternity, another good one, it's just how the actual battle was depicted. Michael Bay turned a national tragety into an action packed sequence where the hero's shoot down planes and what not, not to mention the african american cook looking at the bomb on board the Arizona, and saying "Son of a..." and the bomb explodes, which I didn't find tasteful because the U.S. Arizona had the most casulites of the day. Plus Michael Bay threw so much cliche in the film, you see it in nearly all his films, the dark haired brunette, one of the two male leads dying, the president giving a speach and he's always Jon Voight. The romance is probably one of the few good things about the film. Who doesn't enjoy a love triangle? Everyone does, most don't even admit it.

And you musn't forget Band of Brothers!

« : September 08, 2007, 10:42:38 PM KevinJCBJK »
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #23 : September 08, 2007, 10:46:09 PM »

There were some good scenes in Pearl Harbor, especially with the Japanese background, even though Yamamoto wasn't on the carriers. But the love triangle is not what upsets me, you can say the same for From Here to Eternity, another good one, it's just how the actual battle was depicted. Michael Bay turned a national tragety into an action packed sequence where the hero's shoot down planes and what not, not to mention the african american cook looking at the bomb on board the Arizona, and saying "Son of a..." and the bomb explodes, which I didn't find tasteful because the U.S. Arizona had the most casulites of the day. Plus Michael Bay threw so much cliche in the film, you see it in nearly all his films, the dark haired brunette, one of the two male leads dying, the president giving a speach and he's always Jon Voight. The romance is probably one of the few good things about the film. Who doesn't enjoy a love triangle? Everyone does, most don't even admit it.

And you musn't forget Band of Brothers!

I agree with what you're saying. A lot of cliched stuff thrown in by Bay, but there was some aspects I love. I thought he captured that era quite well, and I love that era. I love the music, I love the way women dressed, so damn classy. Today's women don't compare! I just love that period.

KevinJCBJK

« #24 : September 08, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »

I agree with what you're saying. A lot of cliched stuff thrown in by Bay, but there was some aspects I love. I thought he captured that era quite well, and I love that era. I love the music, I love the way women dressed, so damn classy. Today's women don't compare! I just love that period.

You should check out Antonment which is coming out soon. It's about a English girl putting up with her husband being away for war. I think. Anyway it stars Keira Knightley (always looks gorgeous when classy) and James McAvory. He's a fine actor.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #25 : September 08, 2007, 10:56:26 PM »

You should check out Antonment which is coming out soon. It's about a English girl putting up with her husband being away for war. I think. Anyway it stars Keira Knightley (always looks gorgeous when classy) and James McAvory. He's a fine actor.

Oh, I'm seeing that when it comes out. I was reading about it the other day. She looks spectacular in the pictures I seen!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #26 : September 08, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »

Tora Tora Tora! is not that good either. It's too static and dry.

Of Tucumcari's list, I've seen:

*Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
*Patton
*The Longest Day
*The Guns of Navarone
*The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Thin Red Line
*The Dirty Dozen
Memphis Belle
*Empire of the Sun
12 O'clock High
Where Eagles Dare
Letters From Iwo Jima
From Here to Eternity
Sands of Iwo Jima
Kelly's Hero's
Flags of Our Fathers - parts
*Tora, Tora, Tora
Up From The Beach
Flying Leathernecks
Von Ryan's Express
The Fighting Seabees
They Were Expendable
In Harm's Way - parts
*Battle of the Bulge
*A Bridge To Far
*Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
*The Desert Fox
Flying Tigers
*Pearl Harbor

Saturday nights with Groggy
KevinJCBJK

« #27 : September 08, 2007, 11:00:30 PM »

Oh, I'm seeing that when it comes out. I was reading about it the other day. She looks spectacular in the pictures I seen!

I keep hearing she might get another oscar nod for her role. I like her better in these kinds of roles, more sophisticated.

Looks like you have a lot of movies to watch Groggy  O0

KevinJCBJK

« #28 : September 08, 2007, 11:05:28 PM »

One thing I liked about Pearl Harbor was when Michael Bay decided to fit in the Battle of Britian and the Doolittle Raid. Mind you, I was wondering how many Americans fought in the Battle of Britian, and I found out that not too many, and possibly none have. The US Army wouldn't have allowed one of their pilots to desert the army, and fight the Germans.

Of course, Michael Bay just had to add the Doolittle Raid, because he needed one more action sequence to kill off one of his mail leads, because Pearl Harbor probably wouldn't have been emotional enough.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« #29 : September 08, 2007, 11:12:40 PM »

One thing I liked about Pearl Harbor was when Michael Bay decided to fit in the Battle of Britian and the Doolittle Raid. Mind you, I was wondering how many Americans fought in the Battle of Britian, and I found out that not too many, and possibly none have. The US Army wouldn't have allowed one of their pilots to desert the army, and fight the Germans.

Of course, Michael Bay just had to add the Doolittle Raid, because he needed one more action sequence to kill off one of his mail leads, because Pearl Harbor probably wouldn't have been emotional enough.

The Doolittle Raid was unnecessary. The film went on to long, and that sequence felt a bit to rushed. Would you agree?

: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines