Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 05:35:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lee Van Cleef
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: so what is IL CATTIVO'S best non-LEONE performance? u decide. voting will close december 2nd
RYAN(from DEATH RIDES A HORSE)   -7 (46.7%)
FRANK TALBY( from DAY OF ANGER)   -0 (0%)
SABATA(from SABATA and RETURN OF SABATA)   -3 (20%)
CORBURT(from THE BIG GUNDOWN)   -4 (26.7%)
CUDLIP(from BEYOND THE LAW)   -1 (6.7%)
CLAYTON(from THE GRAND DUEL)   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Lee Van Cleef  (Read 5640 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 01:35:24 AM »

I agree with Derringdo that the only thing that makes the likes of Captain Apache and Bad Mans River watchable is the performance of Van Cleef himself.I draw an exception at Gods Gun because LVC has someone else (dreadfully) overdubbing his lines and my DVD copy is terrible.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 10:07:51 AM »

Hmm... for whatever reason, I've never found  The Big Gundown very compelling.  Van Cleef is perfectly serviceable in his role -- as he nearly always is, regardless of the picture -- but the film never grabbed me, and I've never been able to understand why, especially since it's widely considered a classic.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 10:28:04 AM »

I enjoyed The Big Gundown but I definatly preffered Run Man Run.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 12:35:13 PM »

Cuchillo is an INCREDIBLY annoying character that requires every grain of Milian's considerable skill to make palatable[.]

I'm actually glad to see someone else express this opinion.  While the character has some cool aspects to him, I mostly find him grating, and that might be the primary reason the movie hasn't ever been able to engage me properly.  I don't mind an unusual hero, but when I want to join in on beating him up and/or killing him, there's a problem.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 01:55:43 PM »

Derringo, reading your previous post about Cuchillo and Mifune rang the alarm bells of memory in my head. A memory surfaced of Milian describing Mifune's character in Seven Samurai and with that of Cuchillo. Whether thats my head making it up I'm not sure but I think I saw it in a doco somewhere about.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »

Excerpt from Christopher Frayling's book Once Upon a Time in Italy: The Westerns of Sergio Leone, an interview with Lee Van Cleef given by Alex Cole...

"I came into this town in a stage play called Mr. Roberts. Stanley Kramer saw it and put me in a picture called HIGH NOON. The first time I went into his office he told me to go fix my nose and I told him to go fuck himself. So he told me that instead of playing the second lead I would have to play one of the silenct heavies. I said, "Fine - silent is the way I play." In fact, in the middle of the picture, Fred Zinnemann, the director, said, "I want you to say 'Howdy' or something to Ian Macdonald when he's getting down off the train, "and I said I didn't think I should - "I've been playing this silent, and if I open my mouth one iota it's going to destroy the strength of the character." And he agreed with me. Most actors like to talk a lot - I don't. I read scripts, and I cut the dialogue down to the barest essentials. I've always done that." - Lee Van Cleef

You know what I find funny about this. They tell him to go fix his nose and he tells them to "to fuck themselves" and he still gets a part.  Grin Talk about ballsy. Thank god he didn't fix that nose! It's one of the features that made good old Lee.

I also think Lee Van Cleef was right when he didn't like the idea of his character talking. If you watch High Noon, there's a mystery about his character because he's silent. I love Lee's judgement there. I'm happy Zinneman agreed!

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 11:44:29 AM »

Lee is the Man!  Afro Afro Afro

"Go and fuck yourself"  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

He's brilliant in High Noon, but they killed him so stupid in the background. Zinneman knew how ti direct a good film, but didn't knew how to make a good finale. The final duel is laughable.
If you imagine it in SW or in Sam's style... mmmm. That would be fine.
If I directed it, I would have killed the hero too.  Evil

"Does this unit have a soul?"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »

Lee is the Man!  Afro Afro Afro

"Go and fuck yourself"  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

He's brilliant in High Noon, but they killed him so stupid in the background. Zinneman knew how ti direct a good film, but didn't knew how to make a good finale. The final duel is laughable.
If you imagine it in SW or in Sam's style... mmmm. That would be fine.
If I directed it, I would have killed the hero too.  Evil

Grin I knew you'd love that Jill. Lee was definitely brilliant in High Noon. It amazes me how cool an actor can be without diologue. It just shows an actor can pull that off by seeing Lee in this film. He was a wonderful actor using his eyes to express his feelings.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 01:11:57 PM by Tucumcari_Bound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM