Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 05:25:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  R1 SE DVD release~ Amazing!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R1 SE DVD release~ Amazing!!!!!!!  (Read 7331 times)
leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »

The movie would look way better if MGM would get off it's ass and release it on Blu-ray disc also.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 10:23:45 PM »

I finally got to see this tonight first time as intended, I've only seen it Pan & Scan on TV with commercial breaks, quite the difference.

McBain the Villega torture scene is rumored, but some where I've seen the sequence where Juan's kids dissassemble Sean's motorcycle, it may have been extra footage in a documentary but I remember it for sure.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Mcbain
Bandido

www.myopicvoid.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 09:09:19 AM »

The movie would look way better if MGM would get off it's ass and release it on Blu-ray disc also.

Would it really look "WAY" better?  At DVD Beaver they have regular DVD and Blue Ray HD comparisons of the new HD "Casablanca" Spelling?  Anyways were not talking about a huge difference at all.  I mean you may notice a 5% sharpness improvement if that.  I am not kidding go look at DVD BEAVER!  Look at the older films that were on regular DVD and the offered on the Blue Ray disc.  If you look at the new films like The Rings Trilogy you notice a difference which I think is because they had HD in mind and shot in away that would allow higher definiton.  This IMO is not the case with the older films shot on real film.  Since I don not care for new films and they way they look I am unsure about the benefit of Blue Ray for older films based on the comparsions.

I wrote review on here a few days ago of the difference between FAFDM SE DVD and the regular MGM DVD release weve had for years.  I can say you are looking at a overall 35% improvment with the SE because the image is cropped right, more information, no dirt, sharper and better color and better sound so yes "WAY" better.

Now with this possible Blue Ray disc coming out, the cropping will be the same as the SE which is in the correct aspect ratio, the image will not be any cleaner of dirt scratches as they have already taken care of that,  the soundtrack will sound the same as the restored mono version on SE.  You see the margin of difference will be a whole lot less than the original MGM DVD and the MGM SE from this week.

I am looking at the FAFDM SE DVD right now on my HD 30" TV in prog scan and the detail is super fine, you can see the actors pores so clearly, I cannot see how you could get much clearer than that.  I think Blue and HD disc will make a larger difference in new films shot with that format in mind.  I think with older Leone films when put on Blue Ray DVD you will pay a s@*t ton of money for 5-10% difference in picture quality.  If the leone films on Blue Ray look like the "Casablanca" regular DVD and Blue Ray comparisons, I will most likely pass unless there were extra features and added footage.

To give you guy's a quick example...I shot a short movie on 16mm. After processing we took the original negative and played it on a 16mm projector, this was as close the the source viewing as you could get as it was the original source.  Once we transferred the film from the original negative to professional Beta-Cam SP the film almost the same with very minor picture degradation, still sharp.  Now today they are taking the original Leone films Techniscope negative and transferring to a HD master in a digital format which is better than Beta-SP, less loss,  and then making the SE disc from HD master like the ones we just got this week.  So the level of degradation is less with this type of transfer than what I did.  So I really wonder how much better will the HD/Blue Ray disc will look from the HD master since it is the same HD master source for the regular SE DVD's.  Is there really that much more information to be had on the Blue Ray disc that will render "huge" results???

Some people may call 5%-10% difference huge but I cannot so it is a subjective thing. 

Cheers,

Eric

www.gorocknow.comNEW GO WEBSITE WITH BAND SOUNDSLIPS AND PICTURES
Mcbain
Bandido

www.myopicvoid.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »

I finally got to see this tonight first time as intended, I've only seen it Pan & Scan on TV with commercial breaks, quite the difference.

McBain the Villega torture scene is rumored, but some where I've seen the sequence where Juan's kids dissassemble Sean's motorcycle, it may have been extra footage in a documentary but I remember it for sure.

I think the only thing the film would really  benefit from is the Doctors beating...I got a little confused about the whole betrayal story.  So if there if footage to be had I would put that in.  Also the scene were Sean is parched and tired at the church at night, it is a little confusing as well...but I guess you could assume since he was on foot he got sunburned and tired?  What do you think?

To begin with, is there any footage to be had? Or is it missing altogether, perhaps never filmed, possibly destroyed, or never intended by Leone in the first place?
What do you guy's think? Smiley

Cheers,

Eric

hap
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 09:50:39 AM »

When did the R1 release come out?  I stumbled upon it at the grocery store 2 days ago.  I was not even expecting it to come out.  This is the third time that Amazon.com has dropped the ball again with notifications of DVD releases.  OUATIA, OUATITW, and now DYS have all come out without my knowledge even though I follow forums and blogs.  I signed up on Amazon for notifications on all these DVDs and never got a notification.  No matter I guess,  I was thrilled to pickup DYS.  I had given up thinking I would ever see it widescreen.  Watched it last night and enjoyed it way more than the rented worn out VHS copy I saw 7 years ago.  I also picked up my third copy of GBU, they got me suckered I guess.  Whenever they re-release it with a few more tidbits I gotta get it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 02:42:16 PM »

Maybe we can finally have a hefty load of questions from a lot of the members that have not seen it yet and have been avoiding this section of the board like the plague.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Man with no dame
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »

Maybe we can finally have a hefty load of questions from a lot of the members that have not seen it yet and have been avoiding this section of the board like the plague.
  Plagues against intelligent conversation about Leone and westerns seem prevalent around here, right now.

Mcbain
Bandido

www.myopicvoid.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »

Would it really look "WAY" better?  At DVD Beaver they have regular DVD and Blue Ray HD comparisons of the new HD "Casablanca" Spelling?  Anyways were not talking about a huge difference at all.  I mean you may notice a 5% sharpness improvement if that.  I am not kidding go look at DVD BEAVER!  Look at the older films that were on regular DVD and the offered on the Blue Ray disc.  If you look at the new films like The Rings Trilogy you notice a difference which I think is because they had HD in mind and shot in away that would allow higher definiton.  This IMO is not the case with the older films shot on real film.  Since I don not care for new films and they way they look I am unsure about the benefit of Blue Ray for older films based on the comparsions.

I wrote review on here a few days ago of the difference between FAFDM SE DVD and the regular MGM DVD release weve had for years.  I can say you are looking at a overall 35% improvment with the SE because the image is cropped right, more information, no dirt, sharper and better color and better sound so yes "WAY" better.

Now with this possible Blue Ray disc coming out, the cropping will be the same as the SE which is in the correct aspect ratio, the image will not be any cleaner of dirt scratches as they have already taken care of that,  the soundtrack will sound the same as the restored mono version on SE.  You see the margin of difference will be a whole lot less than the original MGM DVD and the MGM SE from this week.

I am looking at the FAFDM SE DVD right now on my HD 30" TV in prog scan and the detail is super fine, you can see the actors pores so clearly, I cannot see how you could get much clearer than that.  I think Blue and HD disc will make a larger difference in new films shot with that format in mind.  I think with older Leone films when put on Blue Ray DVD you will pay a s@*t ton of money for 5-10% difference in picture quality.  If the leone films on Blue Ray look like the "Casablanca" regular DVD and Blue Ray comparisons, I will most likely pass unless there were extra features and added footage.

To give you guy's a quick example...I shot a short movie on 16mm. After processing we took the original negative and played it on a 16mm projector, this was as close the the source viewing as you could get as it was the original source.  Once we transferred the film from the original negative to professional Beta-Cam SP the film almost the same with very minor picture degradation, still sharp.  Now today they are taking the original Leone films Techniscope negative and transferring to a HD master in a digital format which is better than Beta-SP, less loss,  and then making the SE disc from HD master like the ones we just got this week.  So the level of degradation is less with this type of transfer than what I did.  So I really wonder how much better will the HD/Blue Ray disc will look from the HD master since it is the same HD master source for the regular SE DVD's.  Is there really that much more information to be had on the Blue Ray disc that will render "huge" results???

Some people may call 5%-10% difference huge but I cannot so it is a subjective thing. 

Cheers,

Eric

Does anyone have anything to add to this Smiley

Mcbain
Bandido

www.myopicvoid.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

Plagues against intelligent conversation about Leone and westerns seem prevalent around here, right now.

I don't know Huh...I think I want to stick with topics like collecting Sergio Leone action figures.... or how Clint Eastwood was spotted at the colonic clinic in LA.
Or the For a Few Dollars More brand wine "aged on the truck" and now sold in grocery stores across America and  certified by the Leone wine trust Foundation Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Eric

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 05:35:40 PM »

give me some time guys, I've only watched it twice, and I'm still digesting what I've seen, I'll be posting shortly also I'll now be going thru all the topics and adding my two cents.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM