Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 03:08:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Holiday Movies
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holiday Movies  (Read 2611 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2003, 05:31:00 AM »

This may be a bit old but I finally got around to reading the NY Times Holiday Movie Section from last Sunday. Listed for release in theaters on November 21st is Duck You Sucker.

Here is the blurb:

Duck, You Sucker (Gui La Testa) It was Sergio Leone's penultimate credited film, released here in 1972, and many people consider it his most underrated. James Coburn plays an IRA soldier far from home at the turn of the last century, and Rod Steiger is a Mexican bandit getting involved with his country's revolution. They team up and learn how different their values are. The film was also known in English as "A Fistful of Dynamite."

Something to look forward to!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 04:21:35 PM »

steiger decided not to be DYS, as he had heard leone wouldn't be directing. so he sends a letter to leone saying "dear sergio, i can't make this picture with you but i have this cousin who'll come. you'll love him."

steiger loved leone's close up shots so much, he showed up on the set w/out pants on to make sure they did a close up.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 06:07:03 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Man with no dame
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 08:11:19 AM »

This may be a bit old but I finally got around to reading the NY Times Holiday Movie Section from last Sunday. Listed for release in theaters on November 21st is Duck You Sucker.

Here is the blurb:

Duck, You Sucker (Gui La Testa) It was Sergio Leone's penultimate credited film, released here in 1972, and many people consider it his most underrated. James Coburn plays an IRA soldier far from home at the turn of the last century, and Rod Steiger is a Mexican bandit getting involved with his country's revolution. They team up and learn how different their values are. The film was also known in English as "A Fistful of Dynamite."

Something to look forward to!
Yes, this is the only one of his films I regret not having seen when first released. It tanked, really before anyone in US saw it, and recieved a lot of negative reviews to help it's demise.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »

I think I know why it tanked, people were expecting possibly another GBU, and Leone was maturing & metamorphasizing faster than his audience, at least here in the US, in Europe there was more time between the releases of his films. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM