Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:49:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Interesting story on a new Western.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting story on a new Western.  (Read 3428 times)
roger_d
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:20:46 AM »

Sukiyaki Western Django (2007, directed by Takashi Miike)

(Before this Midnight Madness screening started, a short filmed intro from Miike was played that expressed his hope that, among all the English language Japanese westerns playing at the festival this year, his would be among our favorites. It also includes his email address. Now, I'm not going to post his email on the open web for every creepy-crawly spam spider to find, but if you want to pester Miike to ask him what the hell Gozu was actually about or something, email me, or send me a message on Facebook, and I'll pass it along...)

Quite possibly the silliest Miike film yet, Sukiyaki Western Django is his take on the classic Fistful of Last Red Yojimbos Harvesting Standing Dollars story. A mysterious, nameless stranger rides into a town torn apart by two warring factions, and proceeds to play one off against the other in an effort to wipe both factions out. Naturally mayhem ensues, with 'mayhem' in this case meaning one gang leader who looks down on samurai as preening poseurs, another who thinks he's Shakespeare's Henry VI, a town sheriff who seems to have watched the 'Smeagol vs. Gollum' scene in the Two Towers a few too many times, a gatling gun, 'Indians' whose traditional native instruments seem to be the trumpet and didgeridoo, and Quentin Tarantino.

Oh, and all the actors (including, apparently, Tarantino) are speaking phonetic English. Really, you're missing something in your life until you've seen Japanese actors dressed up like cowboys muddling through lines that contain phrases like "I reckon" and "y'all ain't".

As with most Miike films it's about 15 minutes too long and is a bit visually muddled, but that comes with the territory. The central gag of the premise is strong enough to carry the movie, and the jokes (everything from the fact that the story apparently takes place in Nevada, to QT's line about where he came up with his son's name) rarely let up.

This one's definitely among Miike's better efforts when it comes to pure entertainment value.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:51:15 AM »

That sounds like a lot of fun. Grin But I'm not sure if I really want to see it...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
roger_d
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:01 PM »

Check out the funny pics from the movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sukiyaki_western_django/gallery.php?page=19&size=lores&nopop=1

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:08:07 PM »

We've written about this before.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4704.0

Appreciate the interest but please check the search engine.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:51:49 AM »

sounds good for a a laugh

roger_d
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:36:31 PM »

We've written about this before.

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4704.0

Appreciate the interest but please check the search engine.

Thanks mother, I wouldn't  do it again. 

First of all, mind your own dam business, i don't know you and you don't know me.
I don't bother you and you don't bother me.

Everybody wants to be a moderator, jeez.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:39:58 PM by roger_d » Logged
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:10:30 AM »

I think this is a different piece of information... and roger_d isn't the only one to post about something already mentioned, it happens all the time. Roger, I'm protecting you, because it happens to me, too. Grin

BTW, Firecracker, with my recent experiences with search engine - it probably wouldn't help anyway. Try to look for something there and see what you get...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 06:20:51 AM »

I can sympathize with you on searching for Zapata Westerns which was a thread I had started I kept getting more entries for Westerns than Zapata

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »

I searched for my Czech Republic thread and for no obvious reason the first entry was... something completely different; and I got many results that had absolutely nothing to do with it. My very Czech Republic-esque thread was secong or third (which was a very lucky result with what the search engine does now).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM