Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 09:02:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lost Command (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost Command (1966)  (Read 3991 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »

"Lost Command" is one of those overlooked films that rarely ever gets played on television for some strange reason. It retells part of the true events of the Algerian War for Independence. The movie was filmed on location in Spain which served a great backdrop for Algeria. The film has a good story, supurb with top-notch, realistic action sequences directed by Mark Robson, and is wonderfully acted by the legendary Anthony Quinn, which I believe is arguably one of his best roles.

The supporting cast is pretty damn good as well. Alain Delon, George Segal, Michèle Morgan, and Claudia Cardinale round out the great supporting cast. Spaghetti Western fans here should check this film out for Claudia's performance alone. It's not a big role, but she is wonderful in it, especially the last half hour which she shares a handful of memorable scenes. Look out for a cameo of Al Mulock as well. He shows up at 1:45 and 2:01 of the film. He's noticable. You can't miss him.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »

Story?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:04:31 PM »

Story?

What's your point buddy? Huh

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »

From what I remember it starts out at the surrender in Vietnam at Dien Bien Phu the "Lost Command", with Quinn being one of the surrvivors, then it resumes in Algeria, don't remember much of the rest of it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »

From what I remember it starts out at the surrender in Vietnam at Dien Bien Phu the "Lost Command", with Quinn being one of the surrvivors, then it resumes in Algeria, don't remember much of the rest of it.

Yes you're right. Quinn's character volenteer's to fight in Algeria where he leads his fellow french troops into battle.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »

I saw that in a theater  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 04:42:27 PM »

I saw that in a theater  Afro

You've seen a lot of great films in the theatre you lucky bastard! Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 05:43:09 PM »

Well, we know that the French won tactically in Algeria but lost strategically. Anything other than that happen in  Lost Command? Do we already know the ending?

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 06:33:15 PM »

Well, we know that the French won tactically in Algeria but lost strategically. Anything other than that happen in  Lost Command? Do we already know the ending?

Watch the film jenkins. I didn't give anything away.  Smiley

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »

What the hell is it about? If you don't give something away, I won't bother with it.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »

Never seen this. . . sounds very interesting though. . . Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 10:52:39 PM »

What the hell is it about? If you don't give something away, I won't bother with it.

The story's is simple. Colonel Raspeguy (Anthony Quinn) is a French peasant who has worked his way up the military ranks during the French involvement in Indochina. He then loses his army and command and is sent home to France where he then gets involved with the Countess De Clairefons (Michele Morgan), a widow of a highly respected General. His former friend Mahidi (George Segal) who is of Arab decent, used to serve with Raspeguy under his command in the French Army. He returns back home to his homeland of Algiers where he then takes part in commanding his own army against his former colleagues.

This is where Colonel Raspeguy (Quinn) gets a second change and is offered to volunteer, train, and lead a bunch of rejects into Algiers to fight. Before Raspeguy takes the job, he is promised by Countess De Clairefons (Michelle Morgan) that if he gets through the battle and is promoted to General, she'll then marry him. Claudia Cardinale also stars as Mahidi's (George Segal) sister. She plays an interesting role that's important the last half hour of the film. It's fun seeing Claudia playing an Arab.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »

I watched this movie last summer, found it underwhelming. It's a fairly typical Hollywood war movie that turns an interesting setting/story into something banal and predictable. Very good cast except George Segal in brown-face, a few good action scenes and Spaghetti fans can enjoy lots of Almerian locations, but that's about it. The movie almost begs comparisons with Battle of Algiers (same year, same subject, even some of the same set-pieces) and comes off very poorly.

I just finished the novel it's based on, The Centurions by Jean Larteguy, and it's pretty excellent. (The film isn't very faithful to the book, but that should surprise no one.) It's written from a right-wing French perspective, with lots of bitching about the government's conduct of the war etc., but the strong characterizations and muscular prose (or should we credit the translator?) make it an enjoyable read. There's also a sequel, The Praetorians, which I hope to get to soon. Read those instead.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:28:59 PM by Groggy » Logged

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »

It takes itself way too seriously and drags like no other.

maybe the line in my sig is too harsh but I thought it was crap.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »

It takes itself way too seriously and drags like no other.

I don't know if I'd say that, if anything the opposite. It seemed like Hollywood hacks tackling a foreign war story they didn't really understand, especially after reading the book.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM