Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 04:47:50 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I wonder if Tuco would have...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I wonder if Tuco would have...  (Read 3079 times)
CalamityJane
Bandido

"It might interfere with my aim".

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2003, 01:29:09 PM »

Hi everyone.  

I'm new to this board, but not a new fan of this movie!!  I can never tire of seeing this movie - ever!!  Kudos to Sergio and the cast and crew!  Fantastic western, to say the least, and my most favorite!

I have a question for ya'll to ponder on.  I wonder if Tuco would have shot Blondie if that runaway wagon hadn't come along.  What do you think?  Would he have done it?

Shatterstar
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 09:39:18 PM »

He probably would've killed him but it would've been non-intentional. Tuco was toying with Blondie and probably didn't understand how close to dying he really was.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:33:35 PM by Shatterstar » Logged

A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 08:15:08 AM »

It looked to me that Tuco was going to shoot Blondie to put him out of his misery (like a mortally wounded animal), that Blondie had been tortured long enough.  See, Tuco wasn't all bad !

CalamityJane
Bandido

"It might interfere with my aim".

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 11:52:09 AM »

It looked to me, too, that Tuco had intentions of shooting Blondie, but then again, I think that Tuco was glad in a way that he didn't 'cause if Blondie hadn't been there with BC at the wagon for BC to spit out the name of the grave, Tuco would have been too late with the water and wouldn't have gotten the rest of the info from him about the gold.  Blondie more or less was a big help to Tuco in that sense.  Otherwise, BC would have died with Tuco knowing only half the info about the whereabouts of the gold, you know?  Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 11:52:52 AM by CalamityJane » Logged
Pablito
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 04:56:33 PM »

I think Tuco would have shot Blondie.

In GBU, I feel that Tuco is every bit as "bad" as Angel eyes. The difference between the two is a matter of intelligence and discipline. Angel Eyes is cooler, smarter, more disciplined, and with those attributes his "badness" graduates, in a sense, to "evil". Tuco is impetuous, reckless, much too emotional, but still just plain rotten. Let's not forget his list of crimes: he's not just a petty bandit, he's a cold blooded muderer (and a rapist) who abandons his wife and children to pursue his own irrationally selfish ends. A small spark of decency shows itself when he meets his brother, but as this excellent scene plays out, we see Tuco quickly smothering that last remnant of decency with a bold-faced rationalization for his life of crime and a stinging insult to the only person left in the world with whom he feels any genuine bond.

Tuco grows on us in the film because he's good at acting sincere when he has to, and because his character is always demonstrating the fundamental weaknesses we all have in common, and he is always more obviously human than his two counter-parts. For example, Leone has Tuco taking a leak before he and Blondie set out across the river. It simply wouldn't do to have Blondie or Angel Eyes do that. With Tuco we expect it, just as we expect him to gobble his food and guzzle his booze.

Leone keeps reminding us, all through the film, that Tuco never feels truly friendly towards Blondie, even though as viewers we want some kind of a bond to strike up; but the film ends just as it has to, with Tuco cursing Blondie as Blondie rides off without him. Maybe Tuco would have taken that last gesture of Blondie's as a sign that he should leave well enough alone, but I can't help thinking that as soon as he got his hands untied and found a horse, he'd be looking for Blondie again, as pissed off as ever.

P.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 10:45:57 AM »

To Pablito,
Well said, amigo.

KERMIT
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 03:29:45 PM »

i disagree pablito. but only in behalf of AE's.  Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM