Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:39:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "You'll always be poor"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "You'll always be poor"  (Read 3613 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »

OK, near-death Blondie tells Tuco that if he kills him, he'll "always be poor".  Now, I figure that Blondie had on him $2000 (his and Tuco's share) from the first hanging, $2000-$3000 (his and Tuco's share) from the second hanging, and at least $1000 bounty for turning in Thomas Shorty Larson.  So that's a lot of money in those days, definitely not "poor"; Tuco could've at least bought a new pair of boots to replace the one's with the big hole at the seam....

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »

OK, near-death Blondie tells Tuco that if he kills him, he'll "always be poor".  Now, I figure that Blondie had on him $2000 (his and Tuco's share) from the first hanging, $2000-$3000 (his and Tuco's share) from the second hanging, and at least $1000 bounty for turning in Thomas Shorty Larson.  So that's a lot of money in those days, definitely not "poor"; Tuco could've at least bought a new pair of boots to replace the one's with the big hole at the seam....
Tuco is probably so blinded by the gold that he doesn't think reasonably. And a guy with $5000 is poor when compared to a guy with $100 000.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »

Even with $5,000, if Tuco just spends it (which he can no doubt do very quickly), he'll be poor as soon as the money runs out.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:53:44 PM »

moviesceleton - Tuco's thinkin' about $200,000, not $100,000.

Anyway, caught 5 minutes of GBU (restored, not letterbox) on Encore Westerns last night.  My guess is that the near-dead Blondie doesn't drag himself over to get a gun from Tuco's horse (to shoot Tuco) while Tuco is rifling through the contents of the carriage is that he knows that he'd die as well, unless he could somehow get Tuco to get him help. 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:55:39 PM by Cusser » Logged
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:24:21 AM »

moviesceleton - Tuco's thinkin' about $200,000, not $100,000.
Of course he is. Afro My bad.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 08:48:12 AM »

Tuco will never change, even with all that money. He'll still live poor, and up to his old tricks.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 04:39:02 AM »

Hello everybody, I'm a Newbie here although I have been reading your posts for some months.

I have always gathered that what Blondie means is that only he knows which grave the money is in so if Tuco kills him he will always be poor - Tuco would be left only knowing that the gold was burried in Sad Hill cemetery

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 08:00:19 AM »

Blondie (knowingly) was trying to focus Tuco on the $200,000, building up his greed, distracting him from the $5000 - $6000 he had on his body, as a way to get him out of the desert and save his skin.  I doubt Tuco remembered the $5000 - $6000 in his moment of revenge and greed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM