Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:22:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rio Bravo (1959)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rio Bravo (1959)  (Read 41069 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:53 PM »

I recently watched Rio Bravo again, and I think I'm liking it less now. It just seems a bit too lighthearted for me. No, I am not talking about the comedic stuff with Walter Brennan or Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez; that stuff is hilarious and having those jokes don't take away from the movie being serious. And the cutesy stuff with Angie Dicksinson is mostly fine as well. Even a good drama can have plenty of moments of funny shit.

But what bothers me is when, within a scene that is supposed to be serious, there is inappropriate lightheartedness/comedy. The most egregious example is the final shootout. It should be a really good set piece, but much of it is ruined by the clowning around. Firstly, when Chance and Colorado are talking about whether Dude can take Joe, and Colorado says "he's got a funny way of taking him," that whole snatch of dialogue is done in a way too lighthearted manner. And then with Stumpy throwing the dynamite, with all that giggling, and him whining about never being thanked, that's just not the right moment.

I used to consider this movie my favorite AW. After a few re-watchings, I have to say that while it's still a classic, it could have been perfect if it would have stayed serious in those scenes that are supposed to be serious, most importantly the final shootout.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2013, 06:00:51 AM »

general question about aspect ratios, which we'd been discussing above:

So the two most common aspect ratios of widescreen movies are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 (at least in America; I know Europe uses 1.66:1 a lot). Is it always the case that the 1.85:1 (and 1.66:1) movies are flat, while the 2.35:1 movies are anamorphic?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »

Not always. There are several exceptions from the rule.

VistaVision for example has a 1,66:1 or a 1,85:1 aspect ratio, but is done with 35 mm film stock running horizontally through the camera. The theatrical print can in that case only be hard matted. The Searchers or The Birds are VistaVision films.

The from Leone preferred Technicsope was not anamorphic, but here the theatrical prints had to be then anamorphic (cause there were no projectors to play the Techniscope prints), but then also not Techniscope anymore. As there are no projectors (or only a few) for Techniscope the restoration of Techniscope negatives is a bit tricky.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »

Warner Bros. is releasing a BRD set called John Wayne Westerns Film Collection on June 2, 2015 http://goo.gl/fTOjmZ

The set will feature Fort Apache, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, The Train Robbers, and Cahill U.S. Marshal.

As far as I can tell: The Train Robbers and Cahill U.S. Marshal have never been released on BRD; those films will also be available on June 2 for purchase as an individual BRD; pre-order price on Amazon is less than ten bucks.

Fort Apache and The Searchers have already been released as individual BRD's.

Rio Bravo was previously released on BRD, and then it immediately became unavailable (except for one or two people selling rare copies on Amazon for a lot of money), there may have been some problem with the release, maybe it was screwed up, I am not really sure. But I am anxious to see how the new BRD of Rio Bravo looks. Rio Bravo will also be available on June 2 as a single BRD.

I have no idea whether the discs in this boxset will have anything more than each movie's individual discs, or whether Fort Apache, The Searchers, and Rio Bravo will simply be reissues of the previously released BRD, or new versions of it. For that info, I guess we'll have to wait for DJ to share the reviews from Beaver, Blu-ray.com, et. al.

---

As far as I am concerned: I already own the Fort Apache BRD, I am not a big fan of The Searchers, and I haven't yet seen The Train Robbers or Cahill U.S. Marshal but I doubt they'll be that good that I'll need to own them on BRD. So for me it's just a question of Rio Bravo: if the BRD looks good and is an improvement over the DVD, then I'll buy the single-disc BRD. That's all. This boxset doesn't make sense for me unless it turns out that it offers extra stuff above what the individual discs offer.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:46:31 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »

Rio Bravo will also be available on June 2 as a single BRD.
This appears to be a reissue of the previous Blu that went OOP. I'm sure it is the same transfer, which Blu-ray.com said had PQ of 3.75/5. Not great, but the disc is so cheap I would imagine anyone who likes the film would want to buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Bravo-Blu-ray/dp/B00THZUSR4?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »

This appears to be a reissue of the previous Blu that went OOP. I'm sure it is the same transfer, which Blu-ray.com said had PQ of 3.75/5. Not great, but the disc is so cheap I would imagine anyone who likes the film would want to buy it.
http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Bravo-Blu-ray/dp/B00THZUSR4?

do you have any reason to believe it will be a reissue, or are you just assuming it because the cover looks the same?

Why did the original BRD disappear so quickly? If it was cuz there were problems, then why would they reissue the same disc?

BTW, if PQ of the BRD is 3.75/5, maybe it won't look any better than the DVD? But as you say, it is so cheap that if you're a big fan of the movie, it's worth just spending the ten bucks on the chance it may offer something good. This is one of my favorite AW's of all time, so I'd spend the ten bucks without blinking unless I hear that it is a disaster

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2015, 03:10:51 PM »

Why did the original BRD disappear so quickly? If it was cuz there were problems, then why would they reissue the same disc?
I don't know the answer to any of this, but Blu-ray.com doesn't mention any problems with the disc in the review, and I'm sure they would have if there were some. Companies delete titles for any number of reasons, including rights issues or when the master plan changes at HQ. Sometimes it's because they can improve the release, but this rarely happens. They prefer to have fans buy a substandard release first and then offer them the chance to upgrade so they can get your money twice (this is known in the industry as the Andrea Leone Move). In the present case I haven't heard any news about a Rio Bravo restoration or a new scan of better elements or anything like that. That sort of thing usually commands a higher price tag. But we'll see.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM