Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 04:49:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  One Upon A Time In The West arch location on Google Earth
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One Upon A Time In The West arch location on Google Earth  (Read 9609 times)
Regis
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:19:16 PM »

I have never been there yet. But from various readings and pictures I guess the location should be 37°07'45.35" N  109°58'24.84" W (Lat 37.129265° Long -109.973580°). It's just a guess. On Google earth, it's not clear. But you can see the road making a loop around the site. Very near that point you can see a canyon. The site is about 1.19 mile from route 163 in straight line, and 2.13 miles following a not paved road (San Juan County 432).
What do you think ? Am I right ? or totaly wrong ?

Régis

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »

Can you post a photo from Google Earth?  I'm not familiar with that program, but I have been to the arch site (2006), and the loop around it sounds about right.  I live in Arizona, and had I known its location decades earlier, would've visited it sooner.  In 2003 I had poor directions from some guys from Alabama, and coundn't find it.  You really can't see it from the 163 Highway, and from the Arch you can't see the traffic on 163.  I think that was one reason Leone chose it, the othe rbeing he wanted to frame the famous peaks in the arch, then raise the camera to show them "over" the arch, so all would know it wasn't faked, that it really was in Monument Valley.  By the way, at Gouldings in Monument Valley, none of the books or in the museum there list Once/West in the filmography of Monument Valley.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:55:45 AM »

By the way, at Gouldings in Monument Valley, none of the books or in the museum there list Once/West in the filmography of Monument Valley.

That should be corrected!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:23:24 AM »

By the way, at Gouldings in Monument Valley, none of the books or in the museum there list Once/West in the filmography of Monument Valley.

Big f surprise.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:00:46 PM »

I can't tell from the photo, wasn't aware of any canyon further on.  And the road there from the 163 had no turnoffs at all.  I will say that the turnoff was on the west side of 163, and 13.6 - 14 miles into Utah, if that helps.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:41:48 AM »

Correct, it's road 432.  The "2" on the sign is  a liitle broken (in 2006), so it sort of looks like a "7".  I have a photo of that 432 sign, which is maybe 50 feet in from the 163 Highway.  After you've driven about half a mile in on the 432 you can see it in the distance, to the right.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:44:15 AM by Cusser » Logged
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 11:44:51 AM »

If you put the directions, longitude/latitude on Google Maps, you should get an actual look at the area, and not just a map from above.  I've found my house, baseball stadiums, all kinds of cool stuff using Google Maps. Smiley  And even if the address/location isn't dead-on, you just need to move around some within the map.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:57:30 PM »

yea but the resolution isn't the same for all areas.  Cry

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:37 AM »

cool, but it could cut both ways, like a sign post for its destruction  Embarrassed

Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »

The location on google earth is quite correct and the canyon is the one in front of the arch, the one where Frank comes out in the flashback, out of focus.

[img=http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/35845/2003672782555648863_th.jpg]http://

When I went to MV in 2005, I took over 60 pics of the arch and the surroundings from different angles and I took this one specifically to show the tracks and the canyon in the background, I was standing on top of one of the remaining pillars. See my post with many pics here: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2391.0

And here's a pic of the road 432 sign:

If some of you folks want to see more pics, just ask me. Also, Cusser went there too a year later and he sent me pics...And judging by his smile, I think he was happy lolll

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 04:30:56 PM by Denys » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »

It still would be good to know its precise whereabouts - I plan to visit New York next year
(the Williamsburg, Manhattan, Brooklyn bridges etc) and, looking at members photographs,
I'll be trying to visit the arch and Monument Valley after that trip.

Well let me know if you do I'm close to NYC  maybe we could have a beer in an old speakeasy!

Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:59 AM »

I thought this was an interesting thread to bring back to life, 10 years later and a much more advanced googlemaps experience makes this location very clear.  The good - I put in the original coordinates used at the beginning of this thread and I do believe that is the original arch site.  The bad - From what it looks like is the arch isn't there anymore.  The ugly - You can clearly see both bases of the arch, but the arch itself looks like it has been destroyed or perhaps deteriorated.    Cry

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1293852,-109.9735762,159a,35y,339.18h/data=!3m1!1e3

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:54:29 AM by Usaviator » Logged

~Ive been all over the entire universe to find you~
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »

It may never have been an actual adobe arch, just a foam covered prop with two sturdy bases to hold up the bell and the actor. What would be cool would like they just done in Spain restore the arch build an actual adobe arch. It would be a cool SLWB project to initiate, no?

Paulo
Bandido

Play, Harmonica - Play !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

The pictures I've seen over the last few years show there is not much left. I think it was some wood poking out of a brick base.

Interestingly, I looked at the Google Earth link, it looks like there must have been an airstrip there - you can see pretty clearly what look like the remains of two runways (or maybe one runway and a taxiway). And one of the tiny nearby roads is "Old Airport Road". I wonder if that had any bearing on their decision to film at that spot, assuming it was still functioning in 1968 (maybe easier getting people & equipment in)... Gotta have a trawl around the Interwebs!

Edit - lol, that didn't take long - looks like it was / is this one, opended in 1958 http://www.airnav.com/airport/03UT and possibly still viable

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:20:31 PM by Paulo » Logged
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »

I'm updating this thread these days:
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=12257.new#new

I saw the arch for the second time a few days ago, I shot a lot of video there including drone images. I'll keep the thread updated with more images in the coming weeks.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM