Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 01:46:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wallace's gun
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wallace's gun  (Read 3950 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2003, 04:48:10 PM »

I know we're supposed to "suspend disbelief" when we view films, but I think that if Tuco was expert-enough to hand-pick a pistol from parts, then he could've fixed Wallace's jammed revolver.  Of course, how lucky was he to get back that original pistol, the one that Blondie recognizes by sound when Tuco shoots from the tub?

CalamityJane
Bandido

"It might interfere with my aim".

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 06:57:06 PM »

Hi Cusser.  

I'm new to the SL board, but I certainly feel right at home here already with you and all the other GBU fans!.  Great site and awesome movie! Cheesy

Well, with Wallace's gun, of course, it's a no-brainer that his gun jammed when Tuco threw him off the train and they both tumbled down the hill.  As many times as I've seen this movie (recently twice in two days on AMC), I don't recall seeing how Tuco gets his original pistol back.  I wonder how he did get it back, unless it's another gun that he got from somewhere (stolen, of course - hehe).  

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 05:19:31 AM »

Well I allways assumed that he put another one together or that Blondie was commenting on the rythm of Tucos style of shooting. When Blondie says "Every gun....." he's meaning gun in the gunman-gunfighter sense

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 09:03:30 AM »

This one I've been debating with myself for 35 years, figuring it would be close to impossible for Tuco to find his original gun (it realistically couldn't have been on the train he jumped could it)?  My guess is that he just put another leather tether onto a different revolver, and that's what he had on in the bathtub.  And Blondie's recognition may have been the cadence of Tuco's shootings.  Another thing I've been debating for 35 years is Angel Eyes calling Tuco "old friend" (good to see old friends) when it didn't seem that Angel Eyes knew Tuco when he saw him at hanging #2 (didn't even bother to watch, and didn't act like he knew Blondie either).

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 10:26:03 AM »

In the scene where Angel Eyes calles Tuco "old friend", I believe that's just a phrase he uses in reference to them both being desperados and Angels eyes knows that Tuco is after the same thing he is.  Remember that Angel Eyes makes a comment to Blondie that "he's no tougher than Tuco" after he gives Tuco numerous beatings.   I think he makes this comment because he knows that Tuco has the ability to "take Angel Eyes out" if given a chance.  Thus, Angel Eyes has Wallace do his dirty work for him.  Without Wallace, Angel Eyes is vulnerable to Tuco and his trickery.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2003, 10:11:14 AM »

Just face it guys, it was a gaff, a mistake, a goof, an error in the film.  It happens.

JFM
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 03:58:43 AM »

I know we're supposed to "suspend disbelief" when we view films, but I think that if Tuco was expert-enough to hand-pick a pistol from parts, then he could've fixed Wallace's jammed revolver.  Of course, how lucky was he to get back that original pistol, the one that Blondie recognizes by sound when Tuco shoots from the tub?

After the train event, Tuco presumably does what he did earlier in the movie. He goes to a gun shop and re-builds a gun he feels happy with.

Experienced weapon-users can actually recognize the shot from individual gun models (well, at least some of them; or so I'm told). If Tuco builds his gun from individual parts, rather than using a unaltered model, he consequently also creates his own gun sounds, which is what Blondie recogzines.

---
jfm

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 09:43:35 AM »

I know this is kinda off topic:
I think in general Leone used to prefer larger 'longer barrel' guns like the 1851 Navy colt. To the smaller hollywood western staple weapons like Colt Action Army.  
Or maybe just for his Mexican Charactors.

It kinda looks like the main parts of the gun Tuco puts together, or maybe a Colt Dragoon.

That scene in The Good The Bad and The Ugly is pure Leone, he was a western firearm fanactic.

You really can imagine Sergio acting it out for Wallach before hand. Listening to the parts, looking at the recoil down the barrel and Grumbling about 'Revolvers... revolvers....' magic  Grin

« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 09:51:54 AM by The Smoker » Logged

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 12:33:21 PM »

I don't know anything about guns, but my dad did.  He had a few, including some rifles.   He had a friend that has a huge gun collection - has a room just for his gun collection.  I don't know if he still has his gun collection or not, but my dad and his friend would have surely been able to shed alot of light on this subject and shared some info.  To me, though, the pic of the gun and the ones that Tuco is holding in the pic sure look similar.  

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM