Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 02:24:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Garden of Evil (1954)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Garden of Evil (1954)  (Read 2009 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2007, 09:53:15 PM »

Dir Henry Hathaway, with Gary Cooper, Rita Hayworth, Richard Widmark, Cameron Mitchel

This was a strange Western, begins with three men comming ashore on a beach in Mexico with a broken down steam ship in the bg. they head to the nearest cantina and are serenaded by Rita Moreno. While this is going on Rita Hayworth comes in and offers a $1000 dollars to anyone willing to help her get her husband out of a mine cave in. Since the steamship is out of commison for weeks they go.

The whole story leaves you thinking WTF, its dumb, the Mexican who also goes with the Americanos makes markers along the trail to mark the way (like big arrows out of stones, sticks sticking up with arrows pointing the way) but they are at obvious natural or manmade features.

give it a 2/5 bahhh!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 10:06:26 PM »

I wasn't crazy about it, either...maybe I expected too much.."cause of the director..& the cast...but was disappointed...& Cameron Mitchell was just annoying. Angry

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »

Still, I think the ending is great. I've never seen it all the way through, but my impression has always been favorable.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:12:43 PM »

Still, I think the ending is great.

I agree....made it a worthwhile watch..while still kind of a middling film..all in all.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »

I saw this because its part of a boxset with Rawhide and The Gunfighter i purchased off Amazon. I didn't have high hopes for this, but with Cooper and Widmark in it, i didn't think it would be as bad as it was.  I didn't like the ending either, like some posters did above, lol.  This has to be the worst western i've seen. I give it a 1 out of 10...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM