Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:29:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pursued (1947)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pursued (1947)  (Read 2355 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »

Dir. Raoul Walsh, cinematography by James Wong Howe, with Teresa Wright ...  Thorley Callum,  Robert Mitchum ...  Jeb Rand ,  Judith Anderson ...  Mrs. Medora 'Ma' Callum , Dean Jagger ...  Grant Callum,  Alan Hale ...  Jake Dingle,  John Rodney ...  Adam Callum, &  Harry Carey Jr.

A very, very, Noirsh Western, seems like 2/3 of it was shot at night, lol, not a bad story with a very interesting twist,  that actually has a scene that was the genesis of a similar scene in "Death Rides a Horse" its a very obvious quote Petroni had to have seen this film.

It flaws are in the weaponry I think the beginning is supposed to take place in 1845 but Mitchum wears a Peacemaker.

Its on Netflix, check it out.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 11:01:12 PM »

It flaws are in the weaponry I think the beginning is supposed to take place in 1845 but Mitchum wears a Peacemaker.
Are you sure about that, CJ? I thought Mitchum goes off to the Spanish-American War, which was 1898. That would make his childhood in the late 70s or early 80s, no?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 06:54:32 AM »

Are you sure about that, CJ? I thought Mitchum goes off to the Spanish-American War, which was 1898. That would make his childhood in the late 70s or early 80s, no?

You could be right, I was a bit confused also from the depiction of the soldiers, the uniforms were blue and the caps weren't the civil war kepis but looked more like the Mexican War caps (like Robert Redford wears at the beginning of Jerimiah Johnson), but they kept saying they were fighting the Spanish rather than the Mexicans.  Wink

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:59:00 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »

misses: Too much plot in the first half hour or so, it would have been better had it been eliminated. I didn't really care for Teresa Wright's hatred of Mitchum's character. At that point she was madly in love with him, I find it illogical that she would believe that he murdered her brother in cold blood. Thor (I think that's her name) was very docile and understanding, then she suddenly becomes a vengeful woman out for blood only to revert back to her sweet self by act three. The final scene could have been handled better, it ended too quickly and the five men out for Mitchum suddenly become irrelevant to the story, at least show their reaction to the situation.

hits: wonderful cinematography, great atmosphere, solid performances all around. For its look and vibe alone, I'd give a 7.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Moorman
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Being a Mitchum fan, i went and purchased this off Amazon recently.  It was a pretty good movie. The cinematography was great. The acting was great.  It was a very different western for sure. I give this one a 7 out of 10...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM