Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:54:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tuco's eye patch
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tuco's eye patch  (Read 6309 times)
CalamityJane
Bandido

"It might interfere with my aim".

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2003, 10:38:19 AM »

Here's another example of those "missed details" in the movie:  Tuco's eye patch.  Now, when Tuco finds Bill Carson dead in the wagon and sees Blondie beside the wagon, we don't see Tuco take the eye patch off BC.  Of course, it's obvious that he stole the eye patch from BC's face along with all the other loot that he took from the other men inside the wagon.  We don't see him with the eye patch until he enters the monastery with Blondie and the monk.   Just thought I'd bring this little detail to light.   Grin

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 12:23:03 PM »

Here's another point.  In the wagon, Tuco only takes things that are of worth (of course - wouldn't be him if he didn't, right?), but yet, the eye patch on Bill Carson's face isn't anything of value, yet he takes it anyway.  

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 04:07:36 PM »

Here's another point.  In the wagon, Tuco only takes things that are of worth (of course - wouldn't be him if he didn't, right?), but yet, the eye patch on Bill Carson's face isn't anything of value, yet he takes it anyway.  

It was most likely a disguise, maybe so he wouldn't be recognized?  Undecided

Saturday nights with Groggy
KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 05:16:34 PM »

It was most likely a disguise, maybe so he wouldn't be recognized?  Undecided
GROG, correct me if i'm wrong, but i totally agree.  Grin nevertheles, in the prison camp, nobody there would recognize tuco anyway.
he just stole the eyepatch, which he shifts up and down
 ,strickly out of habit.  

here is yet another tuco crime.  Embarrassed ie. in assuming bill carson's identity, braga Angry beats  the crap our of him spoiling his digestion.  good treatment ?  Tongue
 left blondie's involvement out, but if i were in blondie's boots i would have said the same thing to tuco, ie YOU better be bill carson.
 scince tuco was already wearing his new eyepatch, which, i think, never comes off during his beating.
BTW, as i'm sure you're aware of, we see more "spining". ie. the chair tuco is chained to spins like tuco when braga connects.  honorable mention goes out to al mulock after tuco shoots him from the tub scene.

back @ the prison camp tuco might have been better off  to remain just tuco, and not arouse his old friend angel eye's suspicions, as AE knew carson lost an eye when he got his info off maria, that" fresh young whore from the lower territories".   Grin

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 06:18:40 PM by KERMIT » Logged
CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 06:15:05 PM »

Well, we know he wouldn't have gotten recognized at the monastery, which is where we first see him wear it.  Of course, he couldn't have known ahead of time that him and Blondie would be taken captive into a prison camp, so I don't think that the prison camp is the reason for his wearing the eye patch.  He could have taken it as part of his "get up" (the uniform he wears at the monastery) or in the event that he would run into Angel Eyes or someone else that would recognize him, like someone that woudl recognize him from his wanted posters.  Ah, just a thought.

KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 06:28:51 PM »

Well, we know he wouldn't have gotten recognized at the monastery, which is where we first see him wear it.  Of course, he couldn't have known ahead of time that him and Blondie would be taken captive into a prison camp, so I don't think that the prison camp is the reason for his wearing the eye patch.  He could have taken it as part of his "get up" (the uniform he wears at the monastery) or in the event that he would run into Angel Eyes or someone else that would recognize him, like someone that woudl recognize him from his wanted posters.  Ah, just a thought.
calamity, your last post was eyesight to the blind for me. gratzie!  being a method actor, wallach got optimum action from BC's eyepatch. ie. while tending to blondie @ monestary tuco kneels to pray. but just before he dosn't forget to raise the eyepatch as he knows he can't fool the big gunslinger upstairs.  Grin

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 06:33:54 PM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 06:33:50 PM »

Isn't that Bill Carson's uniform jacket that he has too?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 06:37:08 PM »

Isn't that Bill Carson's uniform jacket that he has too?
cj ! howdy. yeah, well i guess those who get thier stuff stolen from tuco and let him live know nothing about tuco. ha-ha-ha-ha-....ect.  Grin

anyone care to comment ? there's a little tuco in all of us
amigo.  Grin

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 06:43:25 PM by KERMIT » Logged
CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 06:46:41 PM »

I thought BC was wearing a blue uniform - Yikes - hope I ain't goin' colorblind!

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 06:55:11 PM »

You've led me to another incident, Kermit.  

Remember that, just before him and Blondie left the monastery, he went to see his brother.  He had the eye patch over his eye when he entered, then after his brother turned to face him, he lifted it so his brother could see him without the patch.  

Another great moment is when his brother is looking over his uniform, Tuco notices his eyeing of his uniform and tells his brother that it's a long story.  Hmmm.... he wanted to avoid telling his brother the story about how he got it 'cause he knew he stole it from a dead man.  Yikes, that's a low thing to do.

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 07:01:30 PM »

I do remember during the beating that Tuco isn't wearing the eye mask when Wallace has him pinned to the floor and Angel Eyes is asking him questions about the gold/name of grave.  At the start of his beatings, he was wearing it, though.

KERMIT
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 08:36:04 PM »

You've led me to another incident, Kermit.  

Remember that, just before him and Blondie left the monastery, he went to see his brother.  He had the eye patch over his eye when he entered, then after his brother turned to face him, he lifted it so his brother could see him without the patch.  

Another great moment is when his brother is looking over his uniform, Tuco notices his eyeing of his uniform and tells his brother that it's a long story.  Hmmm.... he wanted to avoid telling his brother the story about how he got it 'cause he knew he stole it from a dead man.  Yikes, that's a low thing to do.
that scene w/ tuco's brother ?  i've commited it to memory.  it such a touching moment.  like being in the eye of a hurricane considering all the action that's happened and is about to happen, which in turn, leads me to thinking of the conversation between blondie & tuco as they leave the monastery.  it's the first moment both men really realize how much they need to trust each other in order to find the gold coins.  the look in tuco's eyes as blondie offers his cigar.  he forget's his run in with his priest brother and realizes there's two hundred thousand dollars waiting ahead.  please post on calamity.  i hate to be so self-indulgent but i can't resist discussing GB&U.  Cheesy !!
GROGGY has a real cool thread ie. "YOUR CAST FOR A REMAKE" in the ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST section.  check it out.  Wink

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 08:48:09 PM by KERMIT » Logged
CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2003, 10:56:25 PM »

Ah, my friend Kermit.  Don't worry about being self-indulgent here.   I'm glad that you enjoy that scene and your so entitled to say anything here that you want to.  Knock yourself out, my friend -  Wink  I don't mind a bit.   Let me let you in on a secret.  I can't resist talking about this movie, either.  That's why I'm ecstatic that I found this site and message board!   Grin  Awesome movie, though I wasn't into westerns until I started watching Clint's westerns.  I have to confess that I haven't seen FOD and FDM.  Each time I had the chance to watch it on the tube, I had to go out somewhere, but only catching glimpses of the movie.  How embarrassing is that to say here?   Embarrassed  Don't worry, though.  I have every intention of watching 'em both.  Then, I can join in on the FDM and FOD boards, too.   Wink

That's a fabulous scene and probably the most touching scene in the whole movie.  I can't believe he had the nerve to punch his own brother, though - Yikes!  What was he thinking?  Of course, the sense of regret sinks in him when he realizes what he did.  He goes over to his brother and tries to help him up.  Unfortunately, Tuco left before he could hear his brother ask for his forgiveness.  That's a sad moment in the movie, probably the saddest in the whole movie.   What'cha think about this thought?  

« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 11:00:52 PM by CalamityJane » Logged
CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 11:03:03 PM »

Thanks for mentioning the "remake" thread.  I'll take a spin over there and check it out for sure.   Wink

Austin
Bandido

You brought two too many.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2003, 05:49:53 AM »

The scene with Brother Ramirez and Tuco is certainly touching, but the asking for forgiveness moment is also great irony. A priest is asking forgiveness from a bandit! Leone's peculiar brand of Marxist Catholicism at its finest.

The Americans have only rented (America) temporarily. If they don't behave well, if the mythical level is lowered... then we can always evict them.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM