Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:28:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Taste Of Death(1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taste Of Death(1968)  (Read 3348 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

Directed by Sergio Merolle.

A gang of murderous cattle rustlers, with their stock,are stranded in the mountains by severe snowy conditions.Led by the sadistic Skaife(Bruno Corazzari),the gang seek refuge in a nearby town inhabited by peaceful farmers.Sheriff Ransom(Raymond Pellegrin) rightly suspects that this gang mean trouble and despite (initial)firm  opposition from his adopted son Tony(Andrea Giordana),takes it upon himself to drive out the troublemakers.It transpires that one of the gang Dan El(John Ireland) just happens to be Tony's real father and following the swift death of the Sheriff  teams up with his son(under the pretense of being Tony's fathers friend) to free the town from Skaife's tyranny.

Heavily influenced by  GREAT SILENCE this enjoyable snowbound western has a similar apocalyptic tone to Corbucci's masterpiece.In this film the "bandits" are for real,they are there to bleed the town dry,and Skaife acting like a Nazi commandant proclaims the townsfolk to be "no longer men,they are my hostages" and forces them to fell trees etc in order to build a coral for his cattle.As Tony,sporting a look similar to Silence with furry collared overcoat,picks off Skaifes men one by one,in reprisal Skaife organises mass hostage executions.

Amongst this doom and gloom there is light relief provided by Ireland and Giordana (displaying great chemistry ) as the fatherly Ireland character teaches his son gun play including shooting a snowman to pieces.With an  excellent musical score from Fransesco De Masi i rate this one 8 out of 10. Afro

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:58:45 AM »

Directed by Sergio Merolle.
Another Sergio Cheesy

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:39:50 AM »

Other Sergio directors i enjoy include Corbucci,Sollima,Martino and Garrone. Wink

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »

The one I enjoy is Eisenstein.  Cheesy

Heavily influenced by  GREAT SILENCE

The dates of censure board visa and first public showing do not support your assumption, though, This precedes GS by 2 months on both counts. Did you read this or what?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:31:09 PM »

http://imdb.com/title/tt0196881/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/quanto_costa_morire.htm

I agree with opinions given at the above linked sites. The movie has good points, but I think it is too slow moving and verbose in places. Some scenes and plot-links are too incredible (why Ireland isn't disposed of by his buddies as soon as they realized he knew Pellegrin before? Why putting just one man to guard many hostages?). So I give it 6\10.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:33:35 PM by titoli » Logged

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:43:55 AM »

I like westerns in snow... Cheesy

This father-son thing reminds me to Star Wars.  Evil

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: