Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 06:08:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Short-ish Review...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Short-ish Review...  (Read 5811 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:35:28 PM »

I got to watch the Extended Version today in film class, and the usual whiny Leone bashers notwithstanding, it was an enjoyable experience.

I had not been crazy about the shorter version, and this movie did alleviate some (but not all) of my problems. Seeing it in widescreen was a revelation, and the added material added a lot. I particularly liked the Aschenbach scene, the longer flashbacks, this version of the cave scene, and the added fucks did add a great deal (of humor at least) to the film. Azn I did think the movie flowed better than in the short version.

However... while I liked it more than previous viewings, I still had some problems with it, namely the ending goes on way too long. I would not rate it in the same league as the Big Three. Still, it's an excellent film, and my revised rating is 8/10.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Mw/NNrules
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »

However... while I liked it more than previous viewings, I still had some problems with it, namely the ending goes on way too long. I would not rate it in the same league as the Big Three. Still, it's an excellent film, and my revised rating is 8/10.
The big three... lemme guess... GBU, and the two other OUaT movies?
Haven't seen the revised edition, but you make a convincing argument. My rating of the film is 8.5. Actually I might have seen the extended edition, but I didn't check the dvd over, just watched.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:51:16 PM »

The extended version is the one out on DVD. Previously I'd only seen the 138 minute version.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 04:04:30 PM »

Once you've seen it, oh, 10 more times or so, I have no doubt your rating will be further revised upward.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »

Why would you think so?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 05:12:33 PM »

It takes a while for the music to get into your blood. Eventually, you'll be able to listen to the soundtrack alone and re-experience the film in its entirety. Same thing happens with Hitchcock's Vertigo, and any film that is essentially a new form of opera. You don't know the film until you've completely internalized the score.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »

It takes a while for the music to get into your blood. Eventually, you'll be able to listen to the soundtrack alone and re-experience the film in its entirety. Same thing happens with Hitchcock's Vertigo, and any film that is essentially a new form of opera. You don't know the film until you've completely internalized the score.

I agree. And i agree with the example.

Useful post, isn't it?

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »

Once you've seen it, oh, 10 more times or so, I have no doubt your rating will be further revised upward.

Dave's got a good point here, groggy, that I really agree with.  There is just something about the film that grows on you.  I've gone from the 138-minute version a couple times to watching the Extended Version released on DVD this summer several times since buying it, and now I love it more each time.  Coburn and Steiger get better and better, you catch things you've missed in previous viewings, and as Dave said, the music becomes more powerful/effective.  In this sense, I compare it to OUATITW as to how I've come to like it the more I see it and read about it.

For me though, OUATITW and GBU are still Leone's best, but DYS is gaining quickly. Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 07:08:35 AM »

It's possible, but I seriously doubt it will ever overtake the Big Three in my book.

I do however need to get the soundtrack ASAP. I've been trying for YEARS (like, four or five) to get the Ennio Morricone Western Quintet with no success. Maybe I can buy it for my B-Day if Amazon isn't too pricy.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 05:47:55 PM »

Did the class like it?

I think they'd probably find it much more entertaining than OUATITW because of all the explosions, machine guns, and such.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 06:18:43 PM »

Did the class like it?

I think they'd probably find it much more entertaining than OUATITW because of all the explosions, machine guns, and such.

Some did, some didn't. And I had a rather lengthy discussion with some ignoramus who hates Leone and compared the DYS score to "elevator music". Cheesy

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 09:37:06 PM »

Some did, some didn't. And I had a rather lengthy discussion with some ignoramus who hates Leone and compared the DYS score to "elevator music". Cheesy

I would love to see what they said when they heard "Sean, Sean, Sean."

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:53:04 PM »

Oh there are a bunch of dinguses who don't like Leone in that class. Most of them are girls, but this guy was just being an ass about it.

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »

Oh there are a bunch of dinguses who don't like Leone in that class. Most of them are girls, but this guy was just being an ass about it.

This just makes me laugh.  Why would those people take a film class focusing on Italian movies, with quality directors like Leone, if they either don't like the movie, or keep an open mind when watching a new movie?  I just graduated in May, and maybe things are different at other schools, but I was able to pick some of my classes that were electives and not toward my major.

Seems like a waste of money if you're going to take a class like that and rag on the movie.  What a bunch of morons.   Cheesy Grin

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 12:01:32 PM »

Well, to be fair, some of them probably took the class because they more or less had to. That being said, the course description distinctly said what films would be talked about, so one should have some idea of what's being shown.

The guy in particular was really bashing the musical score, the fact that he was too dumb to figure out what time period it took place in, and he was making up movies with which to bash Leone (talking about "Leone's early independent movies" which didn't exist). I have no idea what his problem was. I told him off under my breath as soon as he was out of sight.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM