Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2017, 10:32:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Spoilers flaws and interpretations - a summary
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spoilers flaws and interpretations - a summary  (Read 38420 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 01:01:59 PM »

Huh? Huh

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2007, 04:19:57 AM »

The carriges for one are Eruopean not American espcially with the SNCF on the side.

Also if it was Grand Central or Pennsylvania Station they would have been using all electric locomotives. Only Hoboken or Weehawken across the Hudson would have maybe still had steam locos.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:40:22 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »

Well the "box" cabs like # 1212  below would have pulled the passenger trains in & out of Grand Central Station after it was rebuilt and the tracks dropped below Park Avenue and covered over.

If it was Penn Station the passenger trains would have been pulled by the tuscan red GG1's like below.

But if it was steam then Noodels and the gang may have been going to The Lackawana Terminal in Hoboken which looked more like the terminal in the film but hardly likely but if you read the captions you could catch a train to Buffalo from there  Cool. But then again you could also from Grand Central Terminal see below:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/hoboken/hoboken.html

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:43:41 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2007, 05:05:23 AM »

that & the fact that they are pretty much silent compared to Steamlocos.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2007, 05:24:38 AM »

There are a lot of old buildings in NYC that still bear the signs and artifacts of former uses. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »

Well, yeah, Robert Caro has made a career on just that point. But LBJ wasn't impervious to scandal, right? And his political instincts were sharp. If he'd seen Bailey coming, he would have ducked.

Hey Jenkins, maybe "Bailey" had something on Johnson.

Nice pic A1. Maybe Fartface and the other guy were fond of taking Turkish baths together.  Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »

An old topic on missing scenes: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=573.msg4199#msg4199 Some stuff I didn't know.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:35 AM »

The Throne

The coffee stirring scene also introduces the audience to Max's throne. In Sir Christopher Frayling's book Something To Do With Death, Frayling hints that the idea of the throne may have been invented by Leone. This is incorrect. The throne is the book The Hoods - chapter 44 p.420.

...a throne, a royal relic of some sort. I examined it more closely. The keynote of the carved design was the royal flag of Rumania which appeared among icons and all sorts of royal insignia and armorial bearings.

“It used to belong to a baron, an old time Rumanian baron, hundreds of years ago.” I repeated, “How did you get it?” “How I got it?” Max asked with a superior smile. “How do I get everything I want? By the muscle...

Was it possible that excesses with a degenerate woman could weaken a man mentally? I had heard a man could develop softening of the brain by that sort of perversion. And was this thronelike chair one of the manifestations of his delusions of grandeur?

The throne gets a slightly different treatment in the film:

NOODLES
What's this?

MAX
It's a throne. It was a gift to a pope. Cost me 800 bucks.

CAROL
It's from the 17th century.

NOODLES
So, what are you doing with it?

MAX
I'm sitting on it.

The throne is one of the first signs that Max is losing it / becoming a megalomaniac.

just in case James Woods needs a new chair http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_POPE_CHAIR_NYC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM