Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 03:18:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Region 1 DVD - Correct mono mix?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Region 1 DVD - Correct mono mix?  (Read 19489 times)
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »

Just acquired a (rather low-quality) DVD-rip of the Italian CVC edition. The Italian version has all the correct music cues, has "short fuse" (in Italian of course), no translated dialogue over the Spanish in the grotto scene (I'm not sure whether Italian and Spanish are similar enough to be mutually understandable) and none of the added sound effects. As far as I'm concerned this puts the lid on this research: The MGM remixed soundtrack is most definitely flawed and IMO should be recalled from stores.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »

Thought this might be of interest to everyone:

http://fanedit.org/wpTF/?p=425

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 06:05:47 AM »

THE ENGLISH 1.0 MONO MIX INCLUDED ON THE 2005 (REGION 1 NTSC) SPECIAL EDITION OF DUCK YOU SUCKER IS NOT THE MIX THAT WAS PREPARED FOR THE FILM WHEN DUBBING HAD BEEN COMPLETED IN LATE 1971 - EARLY 1972, BUT RATHER, A "FOLDED" MONO VERSION OF THE 5.1 REMASTERED VERSION PREPARED BY MGM IN AROUND 2003[/center]

So i assume that with this mono mix Morricones music retains that harshness of tone contained in the 5.1 mix?(i have the R2 dvd without the mono track) Sad

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 06:11:03 AM by Banjo » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »

Beaver confirms that the new R1 single disc version is identical to disc 1 of the R1 special edition: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews23/a_fistful_of_dynamite.htm
It's a good deal for those who already have the extra disc in the R2 package.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Sensitive Mule
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »

This bugged me when I originally saw the film. I bought the SE DVD especially because it had the mono...then got to this fakery. I saw the film theatrically, and it featured the same incorrect mix. For a mix to just have new effects slapped on over the old ones is like MGM sticking their tongue out. Why go to the trouble?
I'm happy to say that the Image NTSC Laserdisc has none of this tomfoolery and features the original English mono (even "Short fuse"). The only problem is that it lacks the full final flashback and uses the AFOD end title card. The alternate deleted scene simply removes the flashback snippet altogether.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »

I'm happy to say that the Image NTSC Laserdisc has none of this tomfoolery and features the original English mono (even "Short fuse").
Damn! And I used to have a copy of that LD too. I should know by now, where Leone is concerned, never throw anything out.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM