Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:46:29 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Welcome to Hard Times (1967)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Welcome to Hard Times (1967)  (Read 3623 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:13:02 AM »

Dir. Burt Kennedy

Henry Fonda ...  Mayor Will Blue
Janice Rule ...  Molly Riordan
Keenan Wynn ...  Zar, Whiskey & Girls
Janis Paige ...  Adah one of Zar's Girls
John Anderson ...  Ezra / Isaac Maple
Warren Oates ...  Deputy Marshal Leo Jenks
Fay Spain ...  Jessie one of Zar's Girls
Edgar Buchanan ...  Brown, Territorial Governor's Rep.
Aldo Ray ...  Man from Bodie
Denver Pyle ...  Alfie the Stage Driver
Michael Shea ...  Jimmy Fee
Arlene Golonka ...  Mae one of Zar's Girls
Lon Chaney Jr. ...  Avery, Saloonkeeper (as Lon Chaney)
Royal Dano ...  John Bear

Saw this on TCM this morning recorded it from last night.

Run down shanty town gets attacked by heavy (Aldo Ray) the "Bad Man from Bodie", he literally burns it down, killing a few of the citizens in the process.  Fonda plays lawer Blue who must eventually face up to him. Its a reminicent of the plot of Firecreek. Its kind of slow and plodding showing the gradual repopulation of the town into a tent city built partly upon the foundations of the former towm lots of good cameos but not much to recomend going out of your way to see. Warren Oates has a bit part, and quite a few other western character actors have walk-on parts. Overall a 6/10.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »

Saw this on TCM this morning recorded it from last night.

Run down shanty town gets attacked by heavy (Aldo Ray) the "Bad Man from Bodie", he literally burns it down, killing a few of the citizens in the process.  Fonda plays lawer Blue who must eventually face up to him. Its a reminicent of the plot of Firecreek. Its kind of slow and plodding showing the gradual repopulation of the town into a tent city built partly upon the foundations of the former towm lots of good cameos but not much to recomend going out of your way to see. Warren Oates has a bit part, and quite a few other western character actors have walk-on parts. Overall a 6/10.

I actually liked this one.  It grew on me as it went along, all the way up to the ending that I didn't really see coming, or at least in how it was done.  I thought Fonda was good, Aldo Ray was so over the top that he was perfect, and Keenan Wynn, John Anderson and Warren Oates were all good supporting characters.  Oh, Edgar Buchanan too, I liked his one-scene cameo. 

Not a great movie, but I'd go 7/10 I guess.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 03:18:43 PM »

Caught the last half hour or so of this.  So don't really think I can give full evaluation.  What I saw I thought it was a mixed bag.   I did think it was a different role for Henry Fonda.  It was sort of intriguing to see him so "whipped" by the Molly character.  He has his moment in the saloon defending the younger guy...and he has his moments of quiet strength and dignity he seems to keep to himself.     

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »

Haven't seen this in ages but its shown regularly on the UK TCM channel but i remember it has sw influences and the bad guy with an evil chuckle (he never says anything) is very memorable.

Yeah slow and ploddy in places but worth at least 7 out of 10. Afro

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 10:36:10 AM »

Anyone read the book?  It's by E.L. Doctorow, the author of Ragtime.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »

Overall a 6/10.

I would have agreed were it not for the final scene of the kid shooting. That downgrades it to 5\10. I wondered throughout the vision what the point was and, assuming it had one and being able to guess it, why make a movie about it. And watch it at that. Only for hymsomniacs.

Richard--W
Bandido

west of Hell's fringe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »

This adaptation of Welcome to Hard Times is a total failure. The script just doesn't work. It's too clean, and too obvious. It has no subtext. The set is all wrong, and this story needs a proper production design and some imagination in how it is shot. Love these actors in other films. A very different approach was needed.

Richard

"I am not afraid to die like a man fighting but I would not like to be killed like a dog unarmed."
William H. Bonney to Gov. Lew Wallace, March 1879.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM