Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 08, 2022, 09:53:01 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I have heard rumors...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: I have heard rumors...  ( 8074 )
jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

« : December 10, 2002, 07:32:09 PM »

I work for a small production company on the WB. I continue to hear rumors of attempts to ressurrect, if you will, the SW genre. I know Mal Paso is on the lot (Eastwood's production company) and I'm trying to see if he's people have anything to do with it.

Part of the rumor is that if this were to happen it, there would be an attempt to shoot the film in Europe with a foreign crew as well as Leone's son's blessing...

I was wondering if any of you have heard anything.  

DjArcadian
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama! No, you're a llama!

« #1 : December 14, 2002, 11:13:55 PM »

The question is whether they're gonna make something orginial or just a bastardized version of Leones films. It's an industry that has died and I can't imagine there being much orginiality if it was  brought back.

jouissance
Bandido

« #2 : December 16, 2002, 01:38:33 PM »

you have a point. i think what would ruin it would be too many people putting their 'ideas' into the project. i'm not sure the SW could ever be brought back, it happened and that is that. hopefully, a neo-SW movement could take place. who knows.

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #3 : December 18, 2002, 09:36:40 AM »

I also think that 'neo'-spaghetti westerns wouldn't be original.The SW's were made in the 1960's and 1970's,and they cannot be resurrected.

« : December 18, 2002, 09:38:49 AM Jupa »
jouissance
Bandido

« #4 : December 18, 2002, 01:07:10 PM »

There are very few ideas that are truly new. The SW wasn't 'new'; the subgenre simple redefined certain accepted concepts from the Classical Western model.
I don't think anyone could ever make a SW in the sense that, yes, the subgenre's moment in the sun has set. Nevertheless, I would hope the Western Genre is not dead as certain film historians/critics would have us believe.
I think it would be very difficult to duplicate a SW, the socio-political stew is different. Hopefully, someone somewhere will have the same passion as many of us have and find a way to communicate with the same sense of honesty, passion and intensity that Leone and other SW directors did.
LET'S JUST HOPE!

MARKGPL
Road Apple

« #5 : January 31, 2003, 05:46:27 PM »

They could try to resurrect the SW, but I don't think they could capture "the magic" again. I think SW's were a product of a time and place by filmakers who are no longer with us.

I remember years and years ago when theree was alot of talk by music promoters trying to get the Beatles back together for a reunion concert. Beatlemania was a phenomenon of the mid-sities and no concert in the 70's could have lived up to the expectations that would have been built up.

It's how I feel about SW's. Leone and Eastwood and Fonda and Wallach and Van Cleef provided the perfect recipe for magic.

It won't happen again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #6 : February 01, 2003, 04:50:19 AM »

Part of the magic was the fact that the SW's broke the conventions of Hollywood formulaic westerns, without the multitude progression of mind numbing shlock, the effect would not be the same.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
MARKGPL
Road Apple

« #7 : February 01, 2003, 06:36:22 AM »

Cigar Joe..

I agree with you 100%.

Even now, I can remember walking out of the theater after seeing A Fistful of Dollars in a semi-state of "confusion" and thinking that I had just seen something that was completely different than any other western I had seen up to that time.

And I was only 12 years..!!

The guys in this movie were nothing like Ben Cartright or Little Joe or Matt Dillon with their clean shirts and pressed pants and clean shaven faces.

No - this film was different. This is probably what the west of the 1860's-1880's was really like.

I loved Shane and The Magnificent Seven and The Searchers, but this left those films in the dust.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : February 01, 2003, 11:23:54 AM »

MARKGPL, couldn't agree with you more, sounds like we had the same general experience and in the same time frame. I liked the TV westerns up to that time too, BL (Before Leone), I was partial to Rawhide, Have Gun Will Travel, Lawman, Tombstone, etc., etc. But AL, forget it. Even now I'll watch the oldies now and then, they had some great scenery and some good action, but I just can't take the melodrama or some of the diologue anymore, lol.  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #9 : February 02, 2003, 04:38:59 AM »

The art is to actualize the theme 'western'...  which is of course maybe not the best theme to actualize.  But I believe it is possible...  After all, it hasn't been that long since films like Tombstone, Unforgiven and Dances captured the audience's attention.  I thought even The Quick and the Dead was a very fun film to watch at.  

It wouldn't be easy, but if people think hard enough, it must be possible to make something original.  It struck me when I saw My Name is Nobody yesterday that it was pretty original when I was expecting something more clich├ęd.

By the way, did anyone see 'Tears of the Black Tiger', a Thai campy spaghettiwestern-like melodrama?  It wasn't much of a good film, but you couldn't say it wasn't  pretty original...  Maybe we are to expect a boom of Thai westerns!

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #10 : March 17, 2013, 02:23:50 AM »

Story, my friends, story and character.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines