Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 07:45:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Empire of the Sun (1987)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Empire of the Sun (1987)  (Read 6387 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:21:48 PM »

"Empire of the Sun" is Steven Spielberg's most overlooked and often under-appreciated masterpiece. When people often talk of Spielberg's greatest films, they're often quick to look over this gem. Anyone who tells me they think this is Spielberg's greatest achievement, I would have no argument with them. They have every reason to think that.

I grew up being fascinated by this film. The first time I saw it as a little boy, I was so taken and moved by the performance by the young Christian Bale. His performance here is arguably the single greatest child performance ever to grace the silver screen. The film stretches nearly three hours long and Bale is in nearly every scene. It's amazing how the young actor carries the whole film on his shoulder's and appears to do it so effortlessly.

For those of you who are not familiar with the story of the film, it's about a young boy (Bale) who struggles to survive under Japanese occupation during World War II after being separated from his parents. This is a fascinating story that is not to be missed. It's also accompanied by John Williams stirring score which is easily one of his best.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »

Haven't seen this film but I will definitely put it on my "must see" list.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:26:49 PM »

Haven't seen this film but I will definitely put it on my "must see" list.

See it soon geoman! I'm interested in reading your opinion. I'm almost positive you will fall in love with this film.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 04:40:38 PM »

I like this film (except for the music). It's Spielberg at his most Lean-like. This and CE3K are the only two Spielberg's I actually admire.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 04:55:50 PM »

I like this film (except for the music). It's Spielberg at his most Lean-like. This and CE3K are the only two Spielberg's I actually admire.

Wow! You don't like the music dave? That surprises me. I think that's one of the highlights of the film. I think it's beautiful.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 08:20:36 PM »

I think it's a mediocre film with poor pacing and an obnoxious musical score. Some flashes of brilliance, but nothing special aside from Christian Bale.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »

I think it's a mediocre film with poor pacing and an obnoxious musical score. Some flashes of brilliance, but nothing special aside from Christian Bale.

Oh come on, obnoxious musical score? What planet are some of you on?! haha It's one of the most beautiful score's ever composed, period.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 09:58:21 PM »

I don't like the score, that's all there is to that. However, I think the pacing is fine. One man's "poor pacing" is another's "epic tempo."

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:00:10 PM »

This may be Spielberg's greatest achievement.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:59:48 PM »

I don't like the score, that's all there is to that. However, I think the pacing is fine. One man's "poor pacing" is another's "epic tempo."

You don't even like Lean's epics (that much). What are you even saying anymore? Old age making you senile?

Saturday nights with Groggy
Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 12:10:20 AM »

I found the little kid kind of annoying the first time i saw the movie.  Of course, the movie itself is great, but there was something distinctly annoying about the little kid, maybe his acting? or his voice?  I can't put my finger on it, i usually like children, but he kind of ruined the movie for me that first time.  Shocked

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 07:33:17 AM »

I found the little kid kind of annoying the first time i saw the movie.  Of course, the movie itself is great, but there was something distinctly annoying about the little kid, maybe his acting? or his voice?[/color]  I can't put my finger on it, i usually like children, but he kind of ruined the movie for me that first time.  Shocked

Yeah, I must agree with this. Only, it didn't bother me the first time(s) I watched the movie, it came later.

Maybe his staring...  Undecided

Excellent movie though.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »

You don't even like Lean's epics (that much). What are you even saying anymore? Old age making you senile?
I'm not saying this is my favorite film or anything. I like it about as well as most of Lean's later films. Better, certainly, than Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter and A Passage to India, not as much as LOA or River Kwai. That's pretty good for a Spielberg film, most of which I can't abide.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »

I found the little kid kind of annoying the first time i saw the movie.  Of course, the movie itself is great, but there was something distinctly annoying about the little kid, maybe his acting? or his voice?  I can't put my finger on it, i usually like children, but he kind of ruined the movie for me that first time.  Shocked

Sonny, I think young Christian Bale was supposed to be annoying in the sense he was a spoiled and pampered rich kid in the beginning. I thought that changed when he split up from his parents and was brought down to earth a bit.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 07:06:21 PM »

I think TB has made an excellent point. The kid is supposed to be annoying at first, but the audience hopefully comes to appreciate him as he undergoes trials and matures. Of course, if you see him as annoying throughout, then the movie probably doesn't work for you.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM