Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:55:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Do you think Blondie knew....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you think Blondie knew....  (Read 4216 times)
CalamityJane
Bandido

"It might interfere with my aim".

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2003, 12:24:11 PM »

that Angel Eyes disappeared after the shootout, thus, letting Tuco "take care" of Angel Eyes?  It looks as if Blondie knew that Angel Eye's wasn't gonna be stupid enough to hang around after all his men were shot dead and wait for Tuco or Blondie to come right to him and shoot him.  I believe Blondie knew that Angel Eyes was sly and would "slip away" from them, knowing that he is outnumbered.  What do you think?  Blondie had a hunch that AE was long gone or was Blondie just assuming he was there when he let Tuco "take care" of AE?  Hmmm....  I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.   Need some insight here.  Undecided

KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 03:55:28 PM »

that Angel Eyes disappeared after the shootout, thus, letting Tuco "take care" of Angel Eyes?  It looks as if Blondie knew that Angel Eye's wasn't gonna be stupid enough to hang around after all his men were shot dead and wait for Tuco or Blondie to come right to him and shoot him.  I believe Blondie knew that Angel Eyes was sly and would "slip away" from them, knowing that he is outnumbered.  What do you think?  Blondie had a hunch that AE was long gone or was Blondie just assuming he was there when he let Tuco "take care" of AE?  Hmmm....  I've been trying to figure this one out for a while.   Need some insight here.  Undecided
i remember AE's saying to his gang "watch out , there's two of them". did AE's sacrifice his whole gang  just to make a clean getaway so he can follow blondie & tuco ?
AE is smart as he is evil. but blondie somehow is always one step ahead of the other the other two. blondie's "hunches" always pay off w/ his reasoning powers. he wanted tuco to wait til darkness fell before crossing the river. he knew tuco would alwys be worth just so much.  akira kurosawa's samuri's were always one step ahead of their opponents much in the way for instance blondie was in removing tuco's cartrigages
before the big showdown w/ AE. one pb i have is if i were going into this i do believe i'd ck my ammo before guns start to blaze.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 07:39:37 PM by KERMIT » Logged
CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 04:12:40 PM »

In the beginning of the shootout scene, before anyone was shot, Angel Eyes has Blondie and Tuco outnumbered, but then, Blondie and Tuco shoot all of AE's gang.  Now, AE is outnumbered - Blondie and Tuco vs. just AE.   Of course, as you said, AE being smart as he is evil, would have had to deal with his gang of thugs along the way to the cemetary if they hadn't gotten shot, unless AE would have turned on them like he did to Baker.  They would have probably started asking AE questions and, if they ever found out about the gold (don't see how they would have unless from a slip of the tongue from Tuco or Blondie), they would have started a war amongst themselves out of greed, although I think AE would have won that little war anyway - no doubt.  Of course, if by any chance that AE had lost that battle amongst them for the gold, Tuco and Blondie would have dealt with AE's thugs easily - two fast guns.   Grin

« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 04:14:10 PM by CalamityJane » Logged
Pablito
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 04:04:07 PM »

I think Angel Eyes probably cared as little about his "gang" as Tuco did about the guns he hired to help him sneak up on Blondie at the Hotel eariler on. In that earlier scene, Tuco was evidently using those guys as a distraction: to keep Blondie busy at the door while he came in through the window. In both cases Leone demonstrates Tuco's and AE's ruthlessness and complete lack of concern for anyone else; and even though Blondie is an outlaw and is certainly no angel, he never seems without a clear sense of the basic sanctity of life, as in his sympathy for not being able to save Shorty, his disgust at the waste of so many good men in the Bridge battle, and that priceless scene with the young dying soldier he shares his cigar with and gives up his coat for.

I doubt that Angel Eyes thought his men stood a chance. If he did, wouldn't he have worried about Blondie being killed before imparting his half of the secret? The whole affair buys AE time in order to get to the cemetary first. Of course I'm assuming he gets there first, hides out maybe, and then comes up on Tuco and Blondie when their attention is on the grave. It's hard to imagine that someone approaching from far off would not be noticed.

But that brings up something else I've always wondered about: now that Angel Eyes knows which grave contains the money, why doesn't he just shoot Blondie and Tuco right there, while he has the chance? One or two reasons: honor among thieves? the old shame of shooting someone in the back? Or could it be that AE is smart enough to know that Blondie might have directed Tuco to the wrong grave, knowing that AE was still at large?

Or, again, I could be all wet.

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 07:41:36 PM »

Hi, Pablito.   Wink

Welcome to the board.  Hope you enjoy it as I do.  

That last part of your post about why AE didn't shoot Blondie from the git-go at the cemetary?  Well, I have to go with your last idea that AE assumes that Blondie led Tuco to the wrong grave, holding back his half of the secret, knowing that AE is still at large and could show up there to join them.  I think that's the most logical answer out of all three.  Blondie isn't stupid.  He knows that AE isn't dead yet and doesn't want to take a chance on him showing up after he's revealed the exact grave.  Great question to ponder.  Thanks.   Grin

KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 07:48:53 PM »

a person who appears to be ugly may, when we get to know him better, be more than he seems~~and capable of tenderness.  sergio leone

"hurrah, hurrah, for the confederacy. hurrah. down w/ general grant. hurrah for general....what's his name" ?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 08:09:25 PM by KERMIT » Logged
CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 08:30:16 PM »

So very true.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Guess I gotta trust myself a little more, eh?   Wink

Lee...Lee!

KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 09:09:16 PM »

So very true.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Guess I gotta trust myself a little more, eh?   Wink

Lee...Lee!
"we'll say hello to them and be on our way".

CalamityJane
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 09:34:23 PM »

"God's not on our side 'cause He hates idiots, too".    Sounds to me Blondie was including himself along with Tuco when he said that.   Undecided

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 09:36:19 PM by CalamityJane » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 09:44:46 PM »

"the good" steals a confederate uniform, rides w/ a gang of union renegades, helps a union captian blow up a bridge, and give a last puff of his cigar to a dying confederate soldier.
"the bad" enlists in the northern army as an NCO following a tip-off from a starving confederate sergent, becomes a concentration camp official, deserts when he feels like it, and is prepared to shoot anyone of either persuation if the reward is high enough.
"the ugly" also steals a confederate uniform before enlisting w/ the north; but isn't sure what the war is supposed to be about.  Undecided

this and the following post from STDWD c. frayling
i just got my greasy mits on it today = thx  Grin

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 11:15:57 PM by KERMIT » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 10:31:49 PM »

"i've never seen so many men wasted so badly".  Cry

but the war saves blondie & tuco's lives on various occations.

out of nowhere a mysterious coach, marked CSA appears in the middle of the desert, to distract tuco's attention and protect blondie from being shot.  a mortar
shell smashes the floor and prevents blondie from being hanged.  as tuco is being thumped by sergant wallace, a norther train pulls into betterville station and spares him for the time being.   tuco cuts his handcuffs by draping the chain over a railway line;  a northern troup train does the rest.
confederate mortar fire provides a convenient smoke-screen, from behind which blondie & tuco can systematically pick off member of angel eye's gang.  
the battle for the bridge provides a means to get accross the river and , at last reaching the gold.
sadhill cemetary holds the prize they are all after.   Grin

« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 10:57:58 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM