Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:59:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Day of the Outlaw (1959)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day of the Outlaw (1959)  (Read 10400 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 05:08:14 PM »

I know, and I love noir, so those come next.  Afro

He just had the kind of face so good for these tough-guys... but his eyes sometimes betray he was actually nice.

I just thought: what if he played Frank Miller? It was an awfully short role and I can't even recall the actor, but if Ryan would get off that train he would seem much more sinister and dangerous. And not some random guy whom we're supposed to see as the Big Bad but who's upstaged by the young LVC.

Also, a role that never found him but he'd surely rock in it: Javert. Just imagine his sarcasm and those trademark half-smirks and those stares. Plus he was a master in playing inner conflicts while looking stoic at first.

Great thoughts Jill, so check him out in a Noirish Western "Bad Day At Black Rock".

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:09:50 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »

I will. Although I know his end (damn Cinemorgue).  Evil

"Does this unit have a soul?"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »

I just saw Day of the Outlaw. My feelings are kinda mixed cuz there are some scenes that are ridiculous, and some scenes that are just amazing. Every time I started thinking, "this is just gonna be another dumb same old western," it hits you with some amazing scenes; then when I start thinking "this is gonna be an awesome Western," it hits you with some clunkers. I'd rate it a sort of uneven 7/10, but there's enough really good stuff in it that I'd recommend any Western fan watch it.

The movie is really bad until the moment Burl Ives bursts through the door and stops the whiskey bottle from hitting the ground. All that yammering in the opening scenes between Ryan, the farmer, and his wife made me wanna puke, the movie mostly picks up well from there.

The production design was terrific, the town set was great, an amazing feeling of some rough wooden structures thrown together, a terrific sense of location.

SPOILER ALERT

One of the worst things a movie can do is have someone explain exactly what's going to happen, and then things happen exactly that way. Takes the suspense and fun out of it all. When the doctor explains exactly what's going to happen to Ives, and then it happens that way, exactly as he says it, that's just a poor bit of filmmaking.

The end with the guy pointing a gun at Ryan but his fingers are so numb he can't pull the trigger, that's just great.

But you can argue that the movie gets a bit too sentimental at the end. This tough guy Ryan who has spent 20 years shooting whatever gets in his way suddenly "took a good lok at myself in the mirror and didn't like what I saw"? Come on, how can he even say that with a straight face. I couldn't figure out what was more cliche', that part or the fact that every bad gang has to have the one good guy who feels bad and tries to save the people from his own gang, and of course falls in love with a girl from the town. And what do you know, he is the one who lives... as well as the suddenly reformed Ryan?? A bit too sentimental there.

Overall, while I think a better job could have been done, there is some real good material here, and I'd recommend that any Western fan give this one a look  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:32:30 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2015, 07:32:52 PM »

D & D pretty much summarizes what is good and bad about this film.
Overall, the melodrama and sentimentality keeps this from being above average
bruce

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 01:54:18 AM »

This film is better than 7/10. I don't see the weaker parts as that weak, and the stronger parts dominate. 8,5/10

I'm sure Corbucci knew this snow western when he made The Great Silence.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM