Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 11:10:15 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hill / Spencer recommendations
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Hill / Spencer recommendations  ( 7251 )
mezcal
Bandido

« : October 30, 2007, 07:53:50 AM »

I aven't really goone beyond the trinity's or troublemakers, dos anyone have any hill / spencer recommendations Of any of their movies for my father-in-law
thanks

Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #1 : October 30, 2007, 09:19:23 AM »

With them both in a movie or separately? 

The Five Man Army is one of my favorites with Bud Spencer as Mesito, the bull-headed strongman who likes to fight, eat, and drink.  This one is a lot of fun.

And I don't know if you've seen it, but My Name is Nobody is a good one with Hill and Fonda.  If you're looking for good spaghettis to watch, check at Shobary's Spaghetti Western site.  It'll come up on a Google/Yahoo search. :)

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
mezcal
Bandido

« #2 : October 30, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »

thanks, i've heard good stuff about 5 man army, and have the 2 'nobody' movies, looking for joint hill / spencer movies
ta

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #3 : October 30, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »

Basically their films from 1967 - 1978 came out very well with the exception of IL CORSARO NERO (the pirate film from 1970) and 2 MISSIONARIES.

The first three from 1967 - 1969 form the Colizzi-trilogy: Colizzi was influenced by his mentor Leone and his films show a great style, excellent photography and superb set design. No straight comedies, more adult films - just equipped with some comedy elements. Colizzi started the 'fun' with Hill/Spencer playing the uneven, yet bonded 'couple'.

Followed by the two TRINTAs you have - Barboni carried his idea of a 'fun western all'italiana' for years, while he was director of photography for S. Corbucci & F. Baldi on a dozen+ western, thinking the film makers took their protagonists too serious... Barboni won: the 2nd TRINTA still is the most successful western in Italy, and over here in Germany it was box office #1 for almost 20 years (12 mio. tickets sold) until the TITANIC came along!

1972: Their first non-western, PIU FORTE RAGAZZI!/ALL THE WAY, BOYS! filmed in Columbia/Bogota by Colizzi is regarded as their best non-western. At least in Europe. I agree. Great adventure, very well directed, good prduction value.

1973 ALTRIMENTI CI ARRABIAMO/WATCH OUT,WE'RE MAD filmed in Madrid is very funny and entertaining.

1974: TWO MISSIONARIES lacks a director in terms of timing (it's a bit boring)

1976: DUE SUPERPIEDI/CRIME BUSTERS was the return of Barboni, their first filmed in Miami. Good one.

1977: PARI E DISPARI/ODDS AND EVEN by Corbucci the last great one. Fast & funny.

1979 - 1985: in their later years the films brought nothing new, rather the old gags again and again. The old
spirit was missing, to find something new after a dozen films not the easiest thing to manage... Cinema was changing too, Italian comedies in general became a bit trashy (Bruno Corbucci etc.). The one from 1984 that plays
in Rio de Janeiro is the best (Barboni for the last time). The one from 1994 they more or less did to bring the family together (sons & daughters & co) - it is unfortunately not very good.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Tuco the ugly

« #4 : October 30, 2007, 03:53:31 PM »

I grew up watching Hill and Spencer, so I'm probably not the most objective person to make recommendations, but I'll say it anyway - watch everything. They make me laugh still today, honestly.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #5 : October 30, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »

"God Forgives...I don't" for certain.

Their comedy stuff is far too cutesy for my taste.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
mezcal
Bandido

« #6 : October 30, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »

God forgives i don't is on my list, as is the disappointing 'troublemakers'. Ace High, i'll probably buy the paramount version, wan't too impressed with Boot Hill.
 I've attached the list of movies the guy in toronto has, i don't see terrance django movie on there, but i've asterisked Mike's recommendations, any other's on the list worth seeing?;
1) FLATFOOT
2) FLATFOOT IN HONG KONG
3) FLATFOOT IN AFRICA
4) FLATFOOT IN EGYPT
5) 5TH DAY OF PEACE
6) TWO MISSIONARIES
7) ACE HIGH
8) I'M FOR THE HIPPOPTAMUS
9) SUPERSNOOPER - SUPER-FUZZ
10) BUDDY GOES WEST
11) BLAKIE THE PIRATE
12) GOD FORGIVES, I DON'T *
13) BOMBER
14) FIVE MAN ARMY *
15) THE SHERIFF AND THE SATELLITE KID
16) WHY DID YOU PICK ON ME
17) THE FIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
18) CRIME BUSTERS *
19) DOUBLE TROUBLE
20) MASACRE AT FORT HOLMAN
21) MIAMI SUPERCOPS
22) MY NAME IS NOBODY
23) ALL THE WAY BOYS *
24) MAN OF THE EAST
25) ALADIN
26) WATCH OUT WERE MAD *
27) WHO FINDS A FRIEND, FINDS A TREASURE
28) EVEN ANGELS EAT BEANS
29) THEY CALL HIM BULDOZER
30) GO FOR IT
31) MR. BILLION
32) CATS AND DOGS
33) BANANA JOE
34) VIRTUAL WEAPON
35) THEY CALL ME TRINITY
36) TRINITY IS STILL MY NAME
37) A GENIUS AND TWO PARTNERS
38) LUCKY LUKE
39) GOOD GUYS BAD GUYS
40) ODDS AND EVENS *
41) CHARLESTON
42) SOLDIER OF FORTUNE
43) DON CAMILO
44) RITA FROM THE WEST
45) BEYOND THE LAW
46) WINNETOU - 6 DVD COLECTIONS

Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

« #7 : October 30, 2007, 08:14:57 PM »

MAN OF THE EAST (Hill solo vehicle) is absolutely terrific, but maybe a little atypical of their stuff.

« : July 26, 2008, 01:40:31 PM Ringo »
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #8 : October 31, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »

Out of the Hill and Spencer non-westerns i've seen this is my order of preference:-

1.WATCH OUT WE'RE  MAD.By far the best and funniest which rivals THEY CALL ME TRINITY for enjoyment.The boys get mad because the mafia trash their new dune buggy and in their vegeance follows a massive string of one classic sequence after another.This was the first film i ever saw (as a kid) of theirs and to be honest have been slightly disappointed by everything else i've seen because they all fail to match the greatness of this movie.It truly deserves classic comedy status. Absolutely essential i rate this 10 out of 10. O0 O0 O0

Heres some clips and i defy anyone to find something as funny from the other films discussed bar       
TRINITY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hQkBq1U2g

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UoYvHvrGkD8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Co4YeZXlCQY

2.CRIMEBUSTERS.The only other really essential Bud and Terence non-western with the boys locating to Miami and inadvertently get railroading into becoming cops.Hilarious stuff and including some of their greatest fight sequences.9 out of 10.

3.ODDS AND EVENS.They play two half brothers with a common father(a real funny old dude) and break up a gambling scam.An enjoyably above average 7 out of 10.

4.WHO FINDS A FRIEND FINDS A TREASURE.Terence on the run from gangsters manipulates Bud into taking them on a treasure hunt for stolen WW2 dollars.Very silly including a gang of gay pirates,a mad jap unaware that the wars over.I don't like Buds dubbing in this one,a mildly entertaining 6 out of 10.

5.GO FOR IT.A later decidedly average effort again based in Miami where the boys become secret agents.Its ok but theres really nothing i find that hilarious.5 out of 10.

6.ALL THE WAY BOYS.Made only a year before WATCH OUT WE'RE MAD,it probably doesn't help that my video version is a poor pan and scan print and missing 15 minutes,but its a very disappointing bore of a film.Some of the fight scenes are ok but you wouldn't even know this is a comedy.Director Colizzi only made one very good Bud and Terence film ACE HIGH,GOD FORGIVES I DON'T was merely good if a tad boring.BOOT HILL is terrible.Sorry despite any reputation ALL THE WAY BOYS may have in terms of enjoyment i feel generous by giving this one 4 out of 10.

7.I'M FOR THE HIPPOPOTAMUS.Dull,dull,dull,dull,dull.Like ALL THE WAY BOYS another very tedious jungle adventure.I can't think of a single highlight.3 out of 10.   

« : October 31, 2007, 04:15:57 PM Banjo »
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

« #9 : October 31, 2007, 04:36:37 PM »

Thanks for the comprehensive reviews Banjo. The "Watch Out..." clip was absolutely hilarious. ;D

Tuco the ugly

« #10 : October 31, 2007, 04:42:58 PM »

Never knew why, but I always linked Banjo with Spencer and Hill in my mind.  O0

« : October 31, 2007, 05:02:06 PM Tuco the ugly »
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #11 : October 31, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »

The problem with the couple was that they decided to aim their movies exclusively at a family audience. This deliberately cut the balls off that vulgarity which meant a lot in their Trinity movies (for example, they made fun of religion in those movies while in the subsequent ones they even played monks roles). This could work maybe for a trick or two (though I'm not sure that Watch Out is such a whale of a comedy) but then it was bound to have a suffocating effect on the movies.
Hill is currently playing the role of an investigating priest in a non-comedic series which has reached the 5th year (i am not sure about this as I never watched a single episode). He dubs himself and manages a sufficient performance though not even distantly approaching the results he reached as Western best comedy actor.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines