Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2018, 04:53:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Elmer Gantry (1960)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Elmer Gantry (1960)  ( 1917 )
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« : October 31, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »

Taped this off TCM on Sunday and just finished it last night.  I've always been a Burt Lancaster fan so I was curious to see his Oscar-winning role, and I wasn't disappointed.  Sure, parts are over the top, but that was the intention and it fits the character perfectly.  Lancaster is the best performance in a movie full of them.  I love Jean Simmons as Sister Sharon, Arthur Kennedy is great as the cynical writer/journalist Jim Lefferts (kinda reminded me of his performance in LoA), Dean Jagger is good in a somewhat smaller part, and Shirley Jones....wow :o!  Completely caught off guard by her role as a prostitute trying to frame Lancaster's Gantry.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending in Sister Sharon's Tabernacle.  I thought it was a bit too much, a little heavy handed, but the last scene makes it worthwhile. 

Any opinions on the movie?  It's not a hugely well-known movie, but I really enjoyed it.  4/5

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

« #1 : November 01, 2007, 10:59:36 AM »

Nobody's seen this? 

Bueller....Bueller.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : November 01, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »

Saw it a while ago but don't remember that much was going to tape it too but forgot. :'(

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #3 : January 29, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »

Elmer Gantry - 9/10 - Tentative rating without having chewed it over. A great, well-drawn drama lacking in the stilted obviousness of Inherit the Wind; it's not attacking Christianity per se, but a particular kind of Christianity, and for the most part it doesn't stoop to obvious black-and-white moral lessons. Dialogue is great as always by Richard Brooks, and his direction is top-notch here too. I had some problems with the story structure - it seemed to be setting up for a cop-out happy ending prior to the finale, a tragedy which conveniently can't be blamed on our characters - but not a major complaint. Quite probably Lancaster's best performance, Simmons is radiant and wonderfully tragic and Arthur Kennedy also very good, although I didn't wholly buy his character's conversion to a nice guy later in the film.

« : January 29, 2010, 10:50:06 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines