Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 10:45:20 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Elmer Gantry (1960)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elmer Gantry (1960)  (Read 1693 times)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:46:42 AM »

Taped this off TCM on Sunday and just finished it last night.  I've always been a Burt Lancaster fan so I was curious to see his Oscar-winning role, and I wasn't disappointed.  Sure, parts are over the top, but that was the intention and it fits the character perfectly.  Lancaster is the best performance in a movie full of them.  I love Jean Simmons as Sister Sharon, Arthur Kennedy is great as the cynical writer/journalist Jim Lefferts (kinda reminded me of his performance in LoA), Dean Jagger is good in a somewhat smaller part, and Shirley Jones....wow Shocked!  Completely caught off guard by her role as a prostitute trying to frame Lancaster's Gantry.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending in Sister Sharon's Tabernacle.  I thought it was a bit too much, a little heavy handed, but the last scene makes it worthwhile. 

Any opinions on the movie?  It's not a hugely well-known movie, but I really enjoyed it.  4/5

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »

Nobody's seen this? 

Bueller....Bueller.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »

Saw it a while ago but don't remember that much was going to tape it too but forgot. Cry

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »

Elmer Gantry - 9/10 - Tentative rating without having chewed it over. A great, well-drawn drama lacking in the stilted obviousness of Inherit the Wind; it's not attacking Christianity per se, but a particular kind of Christianity, and for the most part it doesn't stoop to obvious black-and-white moral lessons. Dialogue is great as always by Richard Brooks, and his direction is top-notch here too. I had some problems with the story structure - it seemed to be setting up for a cop-out happy ending prior to the finale, a tragedy which conveniently can't be blamed on our characters - but not a major complaint. Quite probably Lancaster's best performance, Simmons is radiant and wonderfully tragic and Arthur Kennedy also very good, although I didn't wholly buy his character's conversion to a nice guy later in the film.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:50:06 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM