Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:45:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Governor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Governor  (Read 5501 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »

This is something which has bothered me for awhile, but I've never thought to ask until now, having just got the DVD.

Why does everyone think that the Governor (Franco Grasziosi) is General Huerta? He is clearly not, he is the governor of the Mexican state where the story takes place, as the poster he appears on clearly indicates. This bothers me for various reasons, namely:

- He is clearly the Governor of x-province, not the President of Mexico
- He bares no physical resemblance to the historical Huerta and dresses in civilian clothes rather than army uniform, which was Huerta's style
- No other historical personages appear in the film, so why should we assume it's Huerta?

This baffles me even further because the Governor always used to be called Don Jamie, now everyone including Frayling is calling him Huerta? WTF?? Is Santerna Pancho Villa himself, by that logic? Villega, Carranza?

I've also noticed at least a few reviewers refer to Mapache in "The Wild Bunch" as Huerta. That annoys me too. I can kind of understand but it still annoys me.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »

I don't, You are right they don't know shit, he's just some corrupt governor of which there were plenty during the MexRev. Its just babbeling by those that don't know a whole lot about the MexRev or assume too much.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »

First I thought too he's Huerta, but I dunno why...  Grin

Mapache is an individual. He's one of the coolest villains ever. And who else could make so big confusion with a machine gun?  Grin Grin Grin When I first saw TWB, I cried from laugh.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:25:12 AM »

Thing is, as I said in my above post, he was always "Don Jamie", in Frayling's book, on IMDB, everywhere. Now he's Huerta? WTF?

To reiterate: the People Love the Governor, The Governor Loves the People is the text on the poster. Surely General Huerta wouldn't refer to himself as such.

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:01 AM »

although im not too fresh on the MexRev, i dont think that general huerta died in a boxcar.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »

LOL another excellent point Zap. (Just watched that episode last night, BTW. Afro)

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »

As one who has made the Huerta mistake myself, I offer this viewpoint: I don't know anything about the Mexican revolution, but I got Huerta's name from somewhere. The only possible source would be this forum or writings on Sergio Leone. The problem with studying things about movies outside the movies themselves is that you leave yourself open to contamination by false information. Some poster or pseudo-scholar writes about DYS and drops the H word and it sticks in your mind. Later, thinking about some other aspect of DYS, and concentrating on that, you refer to Huerta in passing, not remembering you have other data (from the movie itself) that contradicts what you're saying. Thus urban legends are spread.

And because the Mexican revolution is so complicated, it's easy to misread people like Frayling in the first place. On page 324 of Something to Do With Death, Frayling mentions "Don Jaime" but in the following paragraph refers to "Huerta's regime." Frayling is probably not making a mistake here, because the governor of a region can also be part of the larger national government. So it may be that DYS is set during the Jaime administration AND at the time of the Huerta regime. But it is easy for someone with too little knowledge to misunderstand what is being stated and so conflate Jaime and Huerta (and get, you know, like, Governor Jaime Huerta, that Mexican dude).

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:05:11 AM »

regardless of who made what mistake, from what ive learned from World History last year, the mexican revolutions were riducuosly confusing  Cheesy

i mean leaders were changing left and right in the course of 2 years. Is it really that dumb that there might have happend to be another man named huerta who just happend to be the govenor? a long lost twin brother perhaps?

just for refrence, are there any picture of the actual huerta anyone can post?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »

Start on page 2 on the thread below for a quick primer on the MexRev with maps  Afro

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1529.15

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:24:09 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »

I'm not accusing anyone of being stupid Zap, I'm just baffled why it happens again and again.

I knew who Huerta was only from doing research based on DYS, of course he came up again in many other Mexican Revolution films. I've tried to study the Mex. Rev. and as Zap indicates it's too chaotic and confusing for much anyone to have a real understanding of it. The only times I've got down were when the US stepped in for various reasons, there's at least a clear sequence of events in those interventions.

That being said, Huerta is only mentioned once in the movie during the stagecoach scene. I don't think the Governor's name is actually mentioned during the film but it's clearly not Huerta, if only for the reasons previously stated, i.e. lack of physical resemblance, lack of real historical personages elsewhere in the film, etc. 

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

i didnt mean to accuse anyone of anything. i was just being sarcastic  Smiley

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »

Funny you should bring this up Groggy, I felt the exact same way. It's annoying how people just assume things like that. I made a post a while back explaining why Huerta is not the Governor and gave a historical information on him.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »

After a rewatch, I noticed that the film explicitly states that it isn't Huerta. Hence John's line:

"Your country is Huerta, and the Governor, and Gunther Ruiz..." etc.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM