Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 09:57:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Valkyrie (2008)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie (2008)  (Read 17398 times)
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »

The story based on actual events about Col. Claus von Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) who's involved in a plot to assassinate Adolph Hitler during the height of WWII. Now, I noticed something seriously wrong in the trailer friends. Let's see if you notice the same thing I did. We'll then talk about it.

Here's the trailer...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34734

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:57:36 AM »

I didn't notice anything wrong except for the releasetime. Are they expecting this to be their summer blockbuster? Roll Eyes

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »

I didn't notice anything wrong except for the releasetime. Are they expecting this to be their summer blockbuster? Roll Eyes

Tom Cruise, no german accent whatsoever! That kind of laziness and lack of attention to detail piss me off!!! The actors not only should have german accents, but should be speaking German if you want to get down to it. Not even a German accent, especially from Tom Cruise? That's going to make a potentially great film be mediocre in my humble opinion.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »

personally, when it comes to accents, i rather have no accents then bad ones.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 10:09:27 AM »

personally, when it comes to accents, i rather have no accents then bad ones.

I disagree. I'd rather have someone attempt one than not doing it all together. I'm not like some people who get all bent out of shape and automatically hate an accent. I like an actor to at least attempt one and I'm fine with it good or bad.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:16:29 AM »

I personally hate it when they make movies like this and then have accents. No matter bad or good. The idea is that they're speaking German but for some odd reason we hear it in English, right? So why the fuck should they have accents?! Using the same logic, subtitles should be translated with an accent too. I'm really glad they have chosen to do it this way. This is what I call progress. You can be sure I would have noticed if they had accents.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 10:19:27 AM »

I personally hate it when they make movies like this and then have accents. No matter bad or good. The idea is that they're speaking German but for some odd reason we hear it in English, right? So why the fuck should they have accents?! Using the same logic, subtitles should be translated with an accent too. I'm really glad they have chosen to do it this way. This is what I call progress. You can be sure I would have noticed if they had accents.

You're the man moviesceleton, but I totally disagree. German's don't speak the way American's speak, plain and simple. I love authenticity.

If Mel Gibson directed for example, they'd be speaking German the way they should be!

Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »

i feel bad accents are distracting and make people un-sympathetic to a character. When someone hears a guy with a bad german accent, you can't help but laugh a little, even if it were a really serious drama. But i will say that i rather have bad accents then stereotypical ones.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »

i feel bad accents are distracting and make people un-sympathetic to a character. When someone hears a guy with a bad german accent, you can't help but laugh a little, even if it were a really serious drama. But i will say that i rather have bad accents then stereotypical ones.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll still watch the film either way. Honestly though, I wish the actors spoke German.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:33:57 AM »

You're the man moviesceleton, but I totally disagree. German's don't speak the way American's speak, plain and simple. I love authenticity.

If Mel Gibson directed for example, they'd be speaking German the way they should be!
They don't speak the way Americans do because they don't speak English. They speak German the way they speak and Americans speak English the way they speak. I'm not sure if I can make my point clear... But they would sound retarded if they spoke English with accent.

I agree with you that it would be best to have them speaking German.

BeauButabi
Gunslinger

Hail to the king, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »

Personally, I really don't care if they were speaking German, English with German accents, or just them speaking English without any accent. I don't really see the complaint if they went with English w/ German accents, saying "Why do they have accents?", because you could just say "Well, why are they speaking English at all?". Stuff like that doesn't detract my enjoyment of movies in the least. I thought that K:19 was a great movie, but I always hear complaints about the accents. Either way, I've been hearing alot about this movie for some time now and I'm really looking forward to it. Say what you want about Tom Cruise (hell, even I don't think he's a really great actor, not bad, but just not anything to write home about), but for the most part he picks some really great films to work on.

"Who the hell are you anyways, Smith?"
"I'm a British nanny, and I'm dangerous."
- Shoot 'Em Up (2007)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »

Nice cast in this. Interesting story too. Will be interesting to see in spite of my ambivalence towards Cruise.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »

Defiantly going to see it because of Bryan Singer Afro And unless there like Viggo Mortissen (Eastern Promises) and really go all out to try and become a different person (wrong word?) I really dont want them to have a accent.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 07:11:15 PM »

personally, when it comes to actors, i rather have no actors then bad ones.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »

Personally, Tucumcari, while you're a good buddy I think your line of criticism is rather stupid. Why complain about them speaking in English with no German acent? They wouldn't be speaking English amongst themselves anyway! Unless the characters are actually speaking German it isn't authentic. I don't see you complaining about lack of Russian accents in "Doctor Zhivago", for instance.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM