Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2018, 11:56:30 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  THE PONCHO...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: THE PONCHO...  ( 19690 )
jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

« : December 12, 2002, 02:42:20 PM »

Clint wears the poncho in all three films (AFOD, FAFDM & GBU). So here is the question......

In GBU, Clint takes the poncho after he gives the soldier a hit of his cig. For the rest of the film (although short) he wears it.

To me they seem to be the same man and as elsewhere on the board has indicated, he really doesn't have a name other than titles, nicknames, etc. So would this indicate that Leone was saying the GBU is the first of the series?

I would love any thoughts on this point.

KC
Bandido

« #1 : December 14, 2002, 08:49:02 PM »

If the three films are indeed connected, and Eastwood plays the same character in all three ... The Good, the Bad and the Ugly would have to be first in the sequence, as it is set at least ten years before the other two.

The only concrete evidence, in fact, that a connection is meant is that Leone planted the poncho in the scene jouissance alludes to ... and had Blondy pick up the other accouterments of the "Man with No Name"'s costume at the end of the prison camp scene.

That, and the rattlesnakes on the grips of Blondy's Navy model Colt ... which we recall from the Peacemaker Eastwood's character was sporting in the two previously released films.

KC

jouissance
Bandido

« #2 : December 16, 2002, 01:41:32 PM »

good points...

sometimes i think leone was just having fun, playing with his audience and maybe letting us know not to take things too serious...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : December 16, 2002, 08:53:54 PM »

FAFDM I would say late 1870's- early 1880's, FOD would be the last in the timeline, the machine gun used by Ramon has to date it closer to the turn of the century.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
jouissance
Bandido

« #4 : December 17, 2002, 07:01:42 PM »

But let's be honest...

Leone wasn't so interested in time continuity. on the old board there were several of you (much more enlightened than I) pointed out various continuity issues (such as dynamite being used before it was invented...ect).

aussiedave
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #5 : December 18, 2002, 03:12:45 AM »

Great attitude,never let minor details ruin a good story.The story is everything,after all. :D

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #6 : December 18, 2002, 09:08:35 AM »

Good point,but I would say no.Personally,I don't think Eastwood's characters were the same man.However,views on this subject are more or less objective,because there were never any references to previous events in the dollar films.But even though the "trilogy" lacks continuity,it doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility of the "man" being the same man in all the three movies.

jouissance
Bandido

« #7 : December 18, 2002, 01:15:46 PM »

Well, when I die, this will be the first question I ask Leone. I'm sure he'll laugh and tell me he put the PONCHO in the GBU to drive people like me crazy with wonder.

In the end, the 'trilogy' are great no matter who Eastwood may or may not be.  

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #8 : December 27, 2002, 04:56:07 PM »

OK, if it's a trilogy, then I agree it absolutely has to be GBU, then FDM, then FOD, just from the dates in the films (civil war, newspaper, headstones).  But agree that $100,000 was a ton of money, so I strongly doubt that Blondie would've ever needed to work again, and become a bounty killer in FDM.  Even if he had my luck at blackjack (0 for 23 hands last time I played, my best total was two 17s, with which I pushed, never got 18, 19, 20, or 21, even after hitting, even lost double down to dealer's six showing).

jouissance
Bandido

« #9 : December 27, 2002, 09:33:10 PM »

yeah but you have to think about it this way... could blondie ever settle down? come on, you know he couldn't. after six months with a spread and a little juanita (no matter how beautiful) would have to pack up and leave. for him it is the thrill of the gun fight, out smarting the tucos and spending the money quickly.

just a thought!

caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

« #10 : December 28, 2002, 04:29:18 AM »

Forget the dating of the movies.  GBU is definettly last.  It is in the order of how he made the movies.  This is shown as i have said elsewhere by the way in which Blondie dresses.  He dresses badly in the first two, makes some money in the second one and then is suddenly really classy in the third one.  He then makes a ton of money and buggers off to the pig farm, only to reappear again in Unforgiven a good 30 years later.  Quesiton solved, although i am probably talking nonsensce.  We all know deep in the back of our minds that this is no trilogy, and that they are not the same charachters.  i pray i am wrong on this, because my heart yearns for them to be the same charachter.  Please prove me wrong

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

r.i.p. joe strummer.  great man, great band
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

« #11 : December 28, 2002, 04:31:00 AM »

yeah but you have to think about it this way... could blondie ever settle down?  

Blondie is a legend he could do anything, even settle down.  And if they are the same charachter (i hope,) then he has already said he could in For a Few More Dollars

I hate signatures, so naf, but i had to put this up for a week or so to show my respect

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

« #12 : December 28, 2002, 06:29:54 AM »

What about the holes that Ramon shoots in the poncho in FOD? They're not visible in FAFDM or GBU, so doesn't that make FOD last in the sequence?  ???

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
caius
Bandido

"bravo!"

« #13 : December 29, 2002, 08:11:03 AM »

good point.  (I will do a complete back track on my previous thinkings on the matter but,) Logically GBU should be first where he finds the poncho, then For a few dollars more, then FOD.  You are right.  But then again is there really  an order, or he could just have bought a new poncho, but thats too much speculation for one day

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #14 : January 21, 2003, 10:47:19 AM »

Does it matter?  It's like asking which Batman film was first.  I think Leone just got a good script and took the same character.  So Clint Eastwood plays the same guy, only not.  It's like the Mariachi in El Mariachi and the one in Desperado.  By the way, there is going to be a third film in this trilogy, called Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
Also notice that actor Mario Brega plays different characters in each film.
So I think Leone meant nothing by it, but it would be nice to consider GBU the first film...  
Or the poncho could also be something like in Raiders of the Lost Ark, when Indy, opposed to the swordman, pulls his gun and shoots him.  There was no indication in the film that he even had one.  But Spielberg let it in, saying that no one would notice it.  And I think it's also the case here... ???

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines