Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 08, 2022, 10:13:53 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  THE PONCHO...
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: THE PONCHO...  ( 29551 )
MARKGPL
Road Apple

« #15 : January 31, 2003, 04:58:42 PM »

If GBU is the first in the trilogy - and I'm inclined to agree that if, in fact, "Blondie" is the same man in 'FAFDM" and "FOD", then Angel Eyes must have been the evil twin brother of Colonel Mortimer. Or, as they say that everybody somewhere has an identical twin, maybe that's the explanation.

Seriously, regardless of the connections or lack of connections, Leone's films are works of cinematic art in my opinion.

In my opinion, Leone was the finest director who ever lived.

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #16 : February 01, 2003, 04:05:21 AM »

Amen.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #17 : February 01, 2003, 12:09:25 PM »

Lets just analize the use of the poncho for a minute. What western hero was ever clad in a pancho before Leone? I can't think of one off the top of my head. In Hollywood western code the poncho wearer would be always type cast as a Mexican peasant or a banditti, definitely not the hero or in our case anti-hero. In Fraylings book it was said that Leone gave Clint the poncho to broaded him out, what a lucky choice of unforgetable costuming. It cloaked his identity, which played on our "brainwashed" asumptions that poncho wearers were born loosers, masked his gun drawing agility, and hid the iron breastplate, among I'm sure other things that I'm forgetting.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

« #18 : February 02, 2003, 10:51:22 PM »

It's like asking which Batman film was first.

Starting with 1989 Batman, in which the Bat-film Franchise was relaucnhed, it goes:

Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman & Robin

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #19 : February 03, 2003, 02:39:43 PM »

Thanks. :P

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #20 : March 26, 2003, 12:41:41 PM »

a western with marlon brando: he had a poncho... i've seen it on the poster of the movie..  it was called something like "two heads revenge"....

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

« #21 : March 26, 2003, 08:56:51 PM »

In GBU at the POW camp, when Blondie first sees Angel Eyes it is very obvious that they know each other, so in FFDM when the two first meet it appears that the two are not familiar, but thinking about it, maybe they are...
I'm confused.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #22 : March 27, 2003, 01:42:41 PM »

Noodles, perhaps you're talking about Arthur Penn's "The Missouri Breaks" with Marlon Brando and Jack Nicholson?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #23 : March 27, 2003, 04:13:29 PM »

It could be one of another two Brando westerns, "One Eyed Jacks" or "The Appaloosa".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #24 : March 30, 2003, 03:10:34 PM »

I believe that Eastwood plays the same character in the three "Dollar" movies. His character is the only one who appears in all three films, and he is the only actor who plays the same role throughout. Other repeat actors play different roles in the "trilogy". Lee Van Cleef, for instance, plays the sympathetic Bounty Hunter Colonel Mortimer in FAFDM and the evil Setenza in GBU. Gian Maria Volonte also plays two different roles in the "trilogy", the villain Ramon who is killed at the end of FOD, and the villain Indio who is killed at the end of FAFDM. You will notice that whilst Volonte plays two villains in the "trilogy", he is a strong enough actor to invest them with different characteristics, even though one might argue that if Ramon had survived FOD, he might well have turned into the drug-dependant Indio. However, it is quite clear that Eastwood's performance is completely consistent throughout.
The chronological order would be GBU, FAFDM, FOD, and whilst this is different to the release order, it is not a unique situation. I would cite BUTCH AND SUNDANCE THE EARLY YEARS as one example of the popular concept of the prequel.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #25 : March 31, 2003, 08:21:27 AM »

i'm pretty sure it is "one eyed jacks"

Harmonica
Bandido

« #26 : March 31, 2003, 01:44:22 PM »

I think that it is safe to say that in making FFD Leone had no idea that it would turn into a huge success and therefore, at the time, no other movies were planed.  After the success of FFD I am sure Leone, feeling that he had of something great, jumped at the opportunity to make a sequel.  We know it is  a sequel because everything about Joe is the same.  Same Poncho, same cloths, same horse, same cigar, same silver handled colt .45s, same attitude, and same squint.  Not to mention the fact that in FFDM Manco wears a leather hand brace on his right wrist and does absolutely everything left handed in the movie with one exception,  Shooting!!!  Now the hand brace in my option is worn by Manco as a direct result of Chicos beating in FFD.  There is no reason whatsoever Leone would have added this extra prop if that were not the case.  As far as him being the same character in all three movies lets just say that he (Joe/Manco/Blondy) must age gracefully.   I put the time line between GBU (1862) and FFD(1884 or 85) and FFDM(1885) at around 23 or 24 years.  Now unless Blondy dies after GBU and becomes a Mythical Stranger, an angel of death if you will, or else has a real good plastic surgeon.  There is no way of hiding 24 years worth of again.

I really do not think that historical continuity was a priority for Leone.  He was more interested in telling a story.  After all the monies generated from FFD and FFDM, he had the budget to do an Epic Western with a grandiose civil war battle scene.  The way to make certain it would be a sure-fire success was to bring back Eastwood and the man with no name pretence.  Money in the bank.  

In my opinion Eastwood is the same character in all three films.    

« : March 31, 2003, 01:57:18 PM Harmonica »

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
SEB
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #27 : April 25, 2003, 10:00:17 PM »

that is for sure a triology

1-gbu:blondie get a puncho

2-fafdm get a hole in the hat by colonel mortimer

3-fod he got the puncho and the hat with a hole

leone is the greatest but is only error was to utilise two time t :)he actors (but they where so good)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #28 : April 26, 2003, 02:55:42 PM »

noodles_leone It was not One Eyed Jacks it was the Appalosa, I saw part of it the other day on TV. Brando just returned from the Civil War has his appalosa stalion stolen by John Saxon who takes it to Mexico. Brando stains his skin with coffee and takes his friends poncho and Mexican Hat and rides out after it. The year the movie was made in 1966.

Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #29 : April 26, 2003, 05:18:20 PM »

Sergio Leone says it was a trilogy in an interview he gave to Noel Simsolo around the time he was finishing GIU LA TESTA.
He states quite clearly that FISTFUL OF DOLLARS was "the first installment of a triptych".  He goes on to say that "this first trilogy was completed" with GBU.

Now I doubt he intended a trilogy when he started, because as we all know, he was lucky to get FOD shot and released, since the producers thought it was going to be a flop. But once the series was complete, there is no doubt he was happy to look back on it and describe it as a trilogy.
So that's what it is: a trilogy.

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines