Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 05:32:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Trivia Games (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Indiana Jones
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indiana Jones  (Read 2993 times)
Tuco the ugly
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:39:30 PM »

Which actor was Lucas' and Spielberg's first choice to play Indy in ''Raiders of the Lost Ark'' (but had to pass the role due to other obligations) ?

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 01:09:32 PM »

I think it may of been Tom Selleck.  He was unable because of his television contract for Magnum PI. 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:25:54 PM by Noodles_SlowStir » Logged

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »

I think it may of been Tom Selleck.  He was unable because of his television contract for Magnum PI.

That's correct Noddles_SlowStir!  Afro

(It was probably the biggest mistake in his career. Later it turned out he could have done both, since the filming od IJ: ROTLA was finished before the filming of ''Magnum PI'' even started.)

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »

Would of been interesting.  I think his portrayal possibly may of had a little more humor.  I've caught a few of his television films based upon Robert Parker's Jesse Stone novels.  I won't say they're great films even for television, but I think they're enjoyable.  He's older than the novel character but I think he does a good job.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »

I'll have to check these movies, a lot of people that watched them said they're OK.

And there will be a remake of the Magnum PI series, apparently Matthew McCounaghey will play Selleck's character (who'll have a cameo role). I'm sceptic about this... ''Magnum PI'' is one of my favorite series (along with ''The A-Team'', ''MacGyver'' and ''The X-Files''), I wouldn't like to see it ruined.

Noodles_SlowStir
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:24:28 PM »

Yeah.  I wouldn't have high expectations of that either.  Selleck had a few successful films.  Most of his work has been in television.  I think he became a decent actor in television.  I always thought that part of his appeal was his ruggedness, humor and I guess his charisma.  It always seemed to come through best on television.  His role in the Rockford Files opened the door to Magnum.  I think they tailored the Magnum character to all of those qualities.  His work in these Jesse Stone pictures has been interesting because it's not a charming humorous character.  He's a jaded recovering alcoholic that has to confront his personal problems and all the negativity that his job as police chief offers.  He's been pretty good in some of the TNT drama films.  Some of them westerns.

The casting of McConaughey in a Magnum remake does sound kind of wack.  Another remake..... a remake of Magnum holds no interest for me either.  I think it would be difficult to cast many in that part because it was kind of created for Selleck. 

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 02:53:57 PM »

Well, I don't think he's a great actor either, but because of Magnum I do link his name and face to a decade - the 80's. Don't know if the role was written for him, but it sure was for him. I've always thought the second part of the 70's and specially the 80's were the golden era of TV series, he had the luck to be a part of that, and earned it. I agree that he has charisma, the female part of the fans sure like him more than the male part. Macho-mustache actors are a rare species in these everybody-has-to-be-unisex-perfect times.

About his newer westerns; ''Crossfire Trail'' and ''Monte Walsh'' (directed by Simon Wincer - ''Quigley Down Under'') are excellent TV westerns!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM