Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 10:52:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I think Frank wasn't pure evil...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I think Frank wasn't pure evil...  (Read 6112 times)
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 02:08:39 PM »

Well, Morton is an interesting character, however, he's ultimately a bad guy because he hired Frank at somewhere along the line. His mistake is finally catching up with him now that he's losing power, and Frank is becoming more engrossed in his business.

I tried to work out backstory to the story for fun. Frank, Morton and McBain all met each other during the Civil War serving in various capacities, Morton as a railroad officer, Frank as a Jayhawker/Border Ruffian in Kansas, McBain somewhere in there. Would be interesting to work on. . . but I'm kind of busy fighting the Apache.

Saturday nights with Groggy
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »

Well, Morton is an interesting character, however, he's ultimately a bad guy because he hired Frank at somewhere along the line. His mistake is finally catching up with him now that he's losing power, and Frank is becoming more engrossed in his business.

I tried to work out backstory to the story for fun. Frank, Morton and McBain all met each other during the Civil War serving in various capacities, Morton as a railroad officer, Frank as a Jayhawker/Border Ruffian in Kansas, McBain somewhere in there. Would be interesting to work on. . . but I'm kind of busy fighting the Apache.

That be an interesting timeline to create. I look forward to that Groggy.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 03:22:47 PM »

Well, I can feel some pity for Morton, especially when he dies. He was not so evil, but weak. And hire Frank's men to shot him in the back isn't a nice thing.

Frank at least had the honor to go into the final duel. He knew how to die like a man. Morton died like a worm. (And he killed my poor Cheyenne.  Cry)

They both died laying in dust Roll Eyes

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 11:53:13 AM »

Jill, Morton didn't have any choice as to where he died. It's not his fault he was down in the mud.  Wink

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 04:51:27 AM »

Well, Morton made some mistakes. He wanted to kill Frank. If he could wait, Harmonica would have done it and he were free. Second mistake: he shooted Cheyenne. Of course Cheyenne or hisd men get a little angry...  Grin

What the hell were Cheyenne's men doing on the train?

"Does this unit have a soul?"
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »

Well, Morton made some mistakes. He wanted to kill Frank. If he could wait, Harmonica would have done it and he were free. Second mistake: he shooted Cheyenne. Of course Cheyenne or hisd men get a little angry...  Grin

What the hell were Cheyenne's men doing on the train?

Well the Cheyenne, Cheyenne's men, and the Morton train encounter are a bit of a mystery which is pretty damn cool on Leone's part not showing us.

Usaviator
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »

I think it's easy to feel some sympathy for Morton.  Yeah, of course he made a mistake by hiring frank, and that kind of throws him in the category of a "bad guy" in this story, and on top of that, he was very driven by wherever his riches led him.  But his intention was to scare the family off the land, definitely a mean-hearted thing, but not sadistic. 

I think I could agree with the idea that there could have been a glimmer of thought in Frank's mind that he could settle down and live a normal life, but I think it was just that, a glimmer.  Maybe Frank can dream about being a normal person, and you could expand on that and say you see good in him, but as far as the rest of the story goes, it doesn't reflect any reality or action for him.

To get a little more philosophical, on top of that, I think you could also say there's a little evil in everyone as well.  Some find it easy to see the good in the evil ones, others find it easy to see the evil in the good ones.  Every man's basic instinct is to defend himself and his loved ones, no matter what the cost.  Revenge doesn't make someone good. It is just dishing out the same evil that you were served.  I bet you could have even handed little Timmy a gun and he woulda blown Franks brains out, had he the chance to.  Now then you serve death for death, and each man killed to serve his own desire.  So I think there is inherently evil in us all as well. 

~Ive been all over the entire universe to find you~
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM