Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:05:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Jason Robards
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jason Robards  (Read 20406 times)
klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2003, 03:41:41 AM »

I think Robards did a very good job in OUTIW, he brings much humanity to the film.  I dare even say he's the only character we care about.  We're intruiged by Harmonica, we like to see beautiful Cardinale and her Italian temper, but Cheyenne is the one we care about.  I think he's essential to the film.  Actually you couldn't take anybody away from the script, because al the characters seem in perfect balance.
Buono You are right on the money!  

KERMIT
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2003, 12:54:17 AM »

Buono You are right on the money!  
bruno i got to go along w/ klaatu. the balance is so delicate i woun't give robards part a second thought.
cheyenne a crusty but lovable outlaw. we care about his situation. robards, again.
then you have the completed harmonica/frank thing going.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 12:56:25 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2003, 08:01:38 AM »

I think Robards did a very good job in OUTIW, he brings much humanity to the film.  I dare even say he's the only character we care about.  We're intruiged by Harmonica, we like to see beautiful Cardinale and her Italian temper, but Cheyenne is the one we care about.  I think he's essential to the film.  Actually you couldn't take anybody away from the script, because al the characters seem in perfect balance.

You are very right. But it is not only the balance; it is important to give the viewer a chance to invest emotions into the characters. If you don't care about the character, you really don't care about who wins.
Harmonica is too cold, Jill is too cynical - the "alliance" needed a character that we could like and love and identify with. And because we like Cheyenne, we also cheer for his friends.  

So sly Leone and Bertolucci made us care for the outlaw killer, instead of the justice seeking gunman or the lonely widow. Yet another of the movies many wonderful twists.

Dying ain't much of a living, boy
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2003, 01:57:57 PM »

That's right, I completely forgot that the Cheyenne character is supposed to be a half-breed.  Robards is so utterly convincing on that account too.  Half of what, Bronx & Brooklyn?   Robard's Cheyenne is as believable as Tony Curtis doing Shakespeare, "What light on yonda window breaks".

Very good  Grin

KERMIT
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2003, 03:55:32 PM »

Very good  Grin
tony curtis. lol can you imagine him as frank ?   Grin

klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2003, 04:27:37 PM »

tony curtis. lol can you imagine him as frank ?   Grin

I think Alain Delon as Frank would have been nice.  Grin

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 08:02:38 PM by klaatu » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 07:25:31 PM »

I think Alain Delon as Frank would have been nice.
needless to say klaatu, tony curtis a joke gone bad.  Embarrassed
yes, alain delon as frank. you're the first to bring up his name. and many names were brought up over @ groggy's. 92 replys. long thread. ck it out under YOUR CHOICE FOR A REMAKE.
jack lemon  as frank ?    Grin

klaatu
Bandido

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2003, 08:07:33 PM »

needless to say klaatu, tony curtis a joke gone bad.  Embarrassed
yes, alain delon as frank. you're the first to bring up his name. and many names were brought up over @ groggy's. 92 replys. long thread. ck it out under YOUR CHOICE FOR A REMAKE.
jack lemon  as frank ?      Grin

KERMIT I actually thought that TC wasn't bad idea either. Young Jack Lemon could have been work too Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 08:11:27 PM by klaatu » Logged
KERMIT
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2003, 02:01:15 AM »

KERMIT I actually thought that TC wasn't bad idea either. Young Jack Lemon could have been work too Cheesy
yes, a young jack lemon. TC has that same good guy image fonda had. somehow i cn't picture TC shooting lil timmy.  Grin

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 10:23:20 AM by KERMIT » Logged
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2003, 07:52:39 AM »

I was thinking of fish out of water when Tony Curtis came to mind - and he was better in "The Vikings" than a certain actor in a certain role whom we'll refrain from piling onto anymore.  And Ernest Borgnine totally rocked in the role of a lifetime as Ragnar.  "ODIN!"  Grin

He was pretty damn good in "Emperor of the North Pole" too.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
KERMIT
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2003, 10:27:27 AM »

I was thinking of fish out of water when Tony Curtis came to mind - and he was better in "The Vikings" than a certain actor in a certain role whom we'll refrain from piling onto anymore.  And Ernest Borgnine totally rocked in the role of a lifetime as Ragnar.  "ODIN!"  Grin

He was pretty damn good in "Emperor of the North Pole" too.
clean forgot about TC being in "the vikings".
borgnine an all time great.   Grin

« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 10:29:40 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2003, 01:07:01 PM »

clean forgot about TC being in "the vikings".
borgnine an all time great.   Grin

Help, the threads have crossed! This is turning in to the remake-thread!  Shocked

(By the way, Alain Delon is and was great, but would be type-cast as Frank, by the way. The shock of the good guy turned bad wouldn't be there.)  

KERMIT
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2003, 03:29:29 PM »

Help, the threads have crossed! This is turning in to the remake-thread!  Shocked

(By the way, Alain Delon is and was great, but would be type-cast as Frank, by the way. The shock of the good guy turned bad wouldn't be there.)  
jerry stiller ?  Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2003, 06:07:09 PM »

I thought "Emperor of the North Pole" was a great flick too, though haven't seen it in a long time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Walter
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2003, 03:10:03 AM »

jerry stiller ?  Grin

Jerry Stiller is a great idea! As Frank or Harmonica? I'd love a shouting, coleric half-mad Harmonica.

Antoher twist for a remake; instead of Harmonica, let's make him into Accordion.  Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM