Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 05:46:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The intermission : when did it occur originaly in the cinema / VHS ?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The intermission : when did it occur originaly in the cinema / VHS ?  (Read 9153 times)
stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2007, 01:37:39 AM »

OK, when I rented the double VHS tape back in 1985, the intermission was never at the place where it is on the DVD, it happened right after Noodles and co go for a "swim" !

When the card landed in the water, a card "end of first part" came in, in the same lettering as the opening credits.

Then, the second VHS opened with the shot on the TV screen, with old Noodles watching the infos.

So I don't remember in the cinema, but as I had made a copy of the VHS and saw it countless times, that's where the intermission always was.

Does someone remembers different ?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:14:36 AM »

I saw the film at the Biograph in Chicago in 1985, and the intermission came right after the car went sailing into the water. There was no card, the lights came up and the curtain began closing even before the reel came to an end.

It did not seem that the intermission had been chosen by Leone, but by the projectionist. Regardless, I now believe that it is better not to break the film there, as, after the intermission, few first-time viewers would appreciate the match cut of the car sailing into the water in the 30s with the one in the 60s being hosed down with foam.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »

I saw the movie quite a few times at the cinema. The intermission came after the rape scene, when Noodles watches Deborah literaly pull down the curtain on their relationship, when her train pulls out to take her to Hollywood.

stamper
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:27:28 PM »

Yeah, I think that there was two ways of putting up the intermission. The car in water scene is the end of a reel. It happened that way probably in europe, with a difference in the USA ? Also, I think the VHS used to have a recap montage at the beginning of tape 2, thus you still got the cut from the car in water to the car in 1968.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 01:29:06 PM by stamper » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »

Went last night to a showing at Lincoln Center with CJ and DrinkandDestroy. Interestingly, the projectionist didn't place the intermission at the typical spot (after the car goes in the water) but instead waited until the scene where Noodles sees Deborah at the train station leaving town. Even though this made the first part much longer than the second, I think this was a good choice. Deborah's departure is an important moment both narratively and dramatically, and gives the viewer something to mull over during the intermission. Then when the film starts up again, it seems natural to hear that Noodles has been "away" (actually doped up, of course) and that business is resuming (but with some differences). And when Eve starts appearing it seems less of a WTF issue.

Placing the break at the usual spot was always a problem since it ruined the match cut between the car going in the water in 1933 and a very different car being sprayed with foam in 1968. The alternative break we saw last night doesn't interfere with a match cut, the cut is more standard.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 07:14:43 AM »

Went last night to a showing at Lincoln Center with CJ and DrinkandDestroy. Interestingly, the projectionist didn't place the intermission at the typical spot (after the car goes in the water) but instead waited until the scene where Noodles sees Deborah at the train station leaving town.
Yeah, it was the same in the screening I attended in Helsinki a couple of weeks ago.

How was your meet-up? Did it involve McSorley's?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:30:19 AM »

Yeah. Joe is pulling the materials together from the event, and no doubt there will be a full accounting of what went on soon in the appropriate thread.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »

Yeah. Joe is pulling the materials together from the event, and no doubt there will be a full accounting of what went on soon in the appropriate thread.
Ten years ago, in october 2001, shortly after the 9/11 attack, I travelled from Italy to Manhattan on a business trip (my boss at the time even gave me an additional life insurance...!) and I remember I had a few afternoons and evenings off. Too bad I wasn't a member of this forum yet, otherwise I'm sure I could have had a nice dinner and a couple of beers (all on my account of course..) with Cigar Joe and Dave..Damn, too bad and due to the crisis here in Europe, no further trips for the time being..! Cry

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 01:09:17 PM »

Ten years ago, in october 2001, shortly after the 9/11 attack, I travelled from Italy to Manhattan on a business trip (my boss at the time even gave me an additional life insurance...!) and I remember I had a few afternoons and evenings off. Too bad I wasn't a member of this forum yet, otherwise I'm sure I could have had a nice dinner and a couple of beers (all on my account of course..) with Cigar Joe and Dave..Damn, too bad and due to the crisis here in Europe, no further trips for the time being..! Cry

Don't tell me that  Cry, but let us know for sure if it changes, lol.

Any way I know there should be some sites in Italy for this film didn't they shoot the young noodles and max with the salt sacks & bootleg liquor in the waters around Mestre?, and was the hotel location on the Lido of Venice, I though I heard that mentioned once? You could do some scouting right there.

I was in Italy about two Septembers ago, but really didn't have any clues where to look, of course the train to Venice took me right through Mestre. I was staying in Monfalcone.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:11:15 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »

Hmmm, an Italian locations trip for lucky Leone board members? Something worth dreaming about, certainly.

pippo
Road Apple

do the trains stop ?!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »

Any way I know there should be some sites in Italy for this film didn't they shoot the young noodles and max with the salt sacks & bootleg liquor in the waters around Mestre?, and was the hotel location on the Lido of Venice, I though I heard that mentioned once? You could do some scouting right there.

You heard it right... take a look
http://msb247.awardspace.com/indxloc.htm
http://msb247.awardspace.com/indxloc.htm

"Questions are never indiscreet, answers sometimes are" Colonel Douglas Mortimer - Oscar Wilde
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »

it would definitely be awesome: a Leone Board trip to Spain for the Western locations and Italy for the OUATIA locations. Then on the way back to America, we go through Montreal  Afro

cj: perhaps you should move the last few posts to the OUATIA Locations thread?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:19:49 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 06:47:10 AM »

Placing the break at the usual spot was always a problem since it ruined the match cut between the car going in the water in 1933 and a very different car being sprayed with foam in 1968.

Too true.

Went last night to a showing at Lincoln Center with CJ and DrinkandDestroy. Interestingly, the projectionist didn't place the intermission at the typical spot (after the car goes in the water) but instead waited until the scene where Noodles sees Deborah at the train station leaving town. Even though this made the first part much longer than the second, I think this was a good choice. Deborah's departure is an important moment both narratively and dramatically, and gives the viewer something to mull over during the intermission. Then when the film starts up again, it seems natural to hear that Noodles has been "away" (actually doped up, of course) and that business is resuming (but with some differences). And when Eve starts appearing it seems less of a WTF issue.

Seems logical. So does anyone actually know if this is where Leone originally wanted the break?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:47:52 PM »

Great question.  I saw this first (complete) in early 1985, and I can't remember where the intermission was.  I'm just assuming that there was an intermission because of the 4-hour length.

Agree that just after the train departs would be the best timing for this though.

Related: I have seen GBU where it had an intermission, though no intermission when first run here in 1968.  That was just after Tuco jumped onto the train.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:49:44 PM by Cusser » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »

Great question.  I saw this first (complete) in early 1985, and I can't remember where the intermission was.  I'm just assuming that there was an intermission because of the 4-hour length.

Agree that just after the train departs would be the best timing for this though.

Related: I have seen GBU where it had an intermission, though no intermission when first run here in 1968.  That was just after Tuco jumped onto the train.

Interesting, I saw it many times on Times Square but don't remember if it had an intermission either.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM