Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 12:27:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Favorite Peckinpah Film
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What is your favorite Sam Peckinpah film?
Ride The High Country   -3 (7.5%)
Major Dundee   -3 (7.5%)
The Wild Bunch   -15 (37.5%)
The Ballad of Cable Hogue   -1 (2.5%)
Junior Bonner   -0 (0%)
Straw Dogs   -1 (2.5%)
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid   -6 (15%)
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia   -9 (22.5%)
The Osterman Weekend   -0 (0%)
Other   -2 (5%)
Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Favorite Peckinpah Film  (Read 37824 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2007, 09:53:02 AM »

Grin

(my posts are getting more and more constructive.)

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »

This looks good for UK Peckinpah fans: http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/deadly_companions.htm

R1 viewers are probably better off getting the Japan disc (as it is NTSC) if it's still available.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

I'm surprised the fight over Peckinpah at thedvdforums hasn't spilled over to here yet...

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2007, 12:00:40 PM »

I don't know about these things...
But don't buy it because of the main feature - it can't be better than the CRITERION. Same quality I'd say.
The Bonus Disc & the whole package is the reason for it to have, isn't it..

DVDTimes has finally reviewed this: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=66545

Oops, sorry Mike, they say the documentary is interesting but "a little passe." They are generally complimentary about the release as a whole (image comparable to Criterion's). The extra that really intrigues me is the Super 8 version of the film, which is 85 minutes long. It must look awful, but I'm curious to see what was cut out.

Reading again about the controversy that surrounded (and still surrounds) this film, I can't help wondering whether its reception would have been different if Straw Dogs had been set in the past. After all, it's really a modern-day Western. I guess genre conventions go a long way toward buffering audiences from radical material, and filmmakers dispense with those conventions at their peril......

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2007, 04:03:29 AM »

What does 'a little passe' mean ? Dated ?
Then again, I don't really care about critics. It's all a question of taste. I rather listen to opinions
 of colleagues or aficionados who really do care. For ex. critics wouldn't notice that my doc is the
only one out that was especially produced for a DVD - release. Everything on the
(great) CRITERION is licensed, i.e. 'bought' from others, produced decades ago (dated?).
They wouldn't even realize that my doc has the only soundbites of Peckinpah himself speaking
about the film. So why should I care what 'they' say  Azn  You do a good job you should know by yourself.

The Super 8 actually is pretty good. One of my best prints. Unfortunately it is always a gamble with
these Super 8 / Digital transfers. Touchy subject. It came out o.k., but not nearly as good as it looks
on the screen - great focus & colors. And of course with 85 min. It is fairly long for a 70's Super - 8
version. On the negative side: the lab (back then) screwed up a bit and reversed side for 15 minutes!
Also I ruined the print pretty good years ago when my projector broke down and scratched it without
me realizing it.
But that supplement was meant as an additional gag anyway. As Super 8 versions on DVD always are.
People who still have Super 8 (and a nice 7 ft screen Smiley) will agree: what's the point of watching Super 8
on DVD ?  A gag. And good to know what was out there - when home'video' started out decades ago..

With the doc at 38 min. , additional 20 minutes of interviews/featurettes, I think we're not that bad.
Then there's a featurette with some 80 rare b/w behind the scenes stills, and some 60 international
posters & LC's in the 16-page booklet. What else does one need?
The additional trailer, TV-spots and Radio-spots some reviewers describe as 'taken from the Fremantle'.
They can't know of course that Fremantle got them from us (UK collector Jeff Slater & me) in the first place! 

Next year will finally see the DVD release of PASSION & POETRY - THE BALLAD OF SAM PECKINPAH.
I start working on it in January.

Can't wait to read the reviews. I love to read reviews. One guy wrote last year that I filmed Kristofferson
in an old people's home. (it was the Malibu hotel he stays at when in California. he lives in Hawaii).

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2007, 06:44:41 AM »

Next year will finally see the DVD release of PASSION & POETRY - THE BALLAD OF SAM PECKINPAH.
Afro

You will have it in an English Language Version, no?  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2007, 08:18:55 AM »

I won't vote, since I've only seen Straw Dogs and just some of The Wild Bunch. Straw Dogs is an excellent movie, though.

Oh, and take a look at this article about the remake and read about how the new director intends to handle the rape scene. Did he even watch the damn movie, or understand it at all?

http://www.cinemafusion.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/does_rod_lurie_understand_straw_dogs/

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2007, 10:06:55 AM »

I might be interested in buying it, though, to some extent depending on the price. Are you going to try to sell it to some TV stations? We've got this "art channel", YLE Teema that often shows series of movies and documentaries concentrating on certain director. To my understanding they haven't had Peckinpah series yet... Azn

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2007, 10:50:15 AM »

The additional trailer, TV-spots and Radio-spots some reviewers describe as 'taken from the Fremantle'.
They can't know of course that Fremantle got them from us (UK collector Jeff Slater & me) in the first place! 
Nope, and I'm sure they don't care. What counts most for consumers and reviewers is who gets things out first. Even so,  your edition of Straw Dogs sounds like a really good package (but doesn't quite tempt me to go beyond the Criterion copy I already own).

Looking forward to the P&P DVD. I take it that the material that appeared on Major Dundee is only part of the complete work?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2007, 03:02:38 PM »

Oh, and take a look at this article about the remake and read about how the new director intends to handle the rape scene. Did he even watch the damn movie, or understand it at all?

That "director" needs to be shot and the film project canned.

As for Mike's dvd, I might just pick it up to help him out (and for the cut version).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2007, 09:11:31 AM »

Talking about STRAW DOGS... I just had the privilege to watch a surviving rough cut of the siege - sequence. It runs 60 minutes (the final cut some 25 minutes). I already is a good thing, but if you compare it to the final cut, it really shows the genius of Sam Peckinpah. There is some more violence in it too, like the death of Venner (bear trap). I may put a clip on Youtube of that...

PASSION & POETRY: It is all in English. It was shot in English (except for the German actors, they are subtitled)
The narration was done by Monte Hellman.

There's gonna be a load of extras. Additional featurettes (for ex. on the WILD BUNCH locations) & stuff.

As for the already released bits: PASSION & POETRY by now turned into a series. I shot some 30 hours, so there's a lot.
Documentaries on single films (so far MAJOR DUNDEE, 22 min.; STRAW DOGS 38 min.; CROSS OF IRON in progress) contain footage that is in the feature film PASSION & POETRY as well as additonal footage. Makes sense?
For ex. MAJOR DUNDEE is dealt with with about 6 minutes in the feature documentary. For the SONY - doc it was extended by unused interview - footage. Same with STRAW DOGS. JUst think of THE GODFATHER or DAS BOOT - feature version ran some 2-3 hours, TV - version more than twice as long.
But the feature has a whole different impact of course. This can never come through in these shorter sort of 'making of's' of course.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »

As for the already released bits: PASSION & POETRY by now turned into a series. I shot some 30 hours, so there's a lot.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome.

Keep us updated, amigo!  Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM