Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 08:15:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Tin Star (1957)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Tin Star (1957)  (Read 4881 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:44:30 PM »

Director Anthony Mann

starring:

Henry Fonda ...  Morg Hickman
Anthony Perkins ...  Sheriff Ben Owens
Betsy Palmer ...  Nona Mayfield
Michel Ray ...  Kip Mayfield
Neville Brand ...  Bart Bogardus
John McIntire ...  Dr. Jacob Joseph 'Doc' McCord
Mary Webster ...  Millie Parker
Peter Baldwin ...  Zeke McGaffey
Richard Shannon ...  Buck Henderson
Lee Van Cleef ...  Ed McGaffey

This was a pretty good flick that I thought I hadn't seen but realized I had near the end.

Basically Fonda plays bounty hunter Morg Hickman who we first see riding into a town with a pack horse carrying a wrapped bundle which is revealed to be a body by a hand sticking out. The town folk gather round as he rides up to the sheriff's office to collect the bounty. He walks in to the front office and see's no one, so he continues to the back where he finds Sheriff Owens (Anthony Perkins) practicing drawing & twirling his guns (he wears two). While twirling he drops one on the floor.

Hickman has to wait to collect his bounty so he tries to check into the hotel but the owner frowns upon bounty hunters and refuses to give him a room. The livery stable is owned by a cousin of the dead man Bart Bogardus (Neville Brand) and he also refuses stall space for Hickman's stock. As Hickman rides past the house of widow Nona Mayfield he asks if she has a room. She tells him yes and he resides there while the following events play out.

Bogardus wanted to be sheriff and he resents Owens, he has a confrontation with him as Hickman watches. Bogardus takes off his hat and uses it to mask his going to draw, Hickman sees the faint that Owens misses and he shoots the gun from his hand. Owens is grateful and during a discussion with Hickman discovers that he is a former sheriff. Owens asks for and Hickman freely gives Owens pointers (its similar to Day of Anger with Van Cleef & Gemma & Death Rides a Horse with Van Cleef & Law).

Lee Van Cleef Plays Ed McGaffy who with his brother Zeke are small time outlaws who rob stages. John McIntire plays a kindly old Doctor in one of his best nice guy performances. The real villain however is Neville Brand so Van Cleef doesn't get a lot of screen time. This is one of the few Westerns that he's in where he doesn't die on screen.

Check it out

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:18:25 PM »

Thanks, Joe. I'm pretty sure I've seen this on TV, although maybe just parts of it. Fonda is good, but I find Perkins hard to take (I get very tired of his whole I'm-so-clueless schtick). Also, I prefer Neville Brand playing second banana to the heavy, rather than the heavy himself.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »

Already posted my comments on the other thread. I'm not crazy about this film and Perkins is pretty weak. I do like Fonda a lot, and it's cool to see LVC as one of the bad guys. The photography is gorgeous though, and I do like the climax and the scene where Fonda smokes LVC and his brother out of a cave.

This movie is somewhat interesting to Leone fans. The scene where Fonda attempts to check into a hotel and fails is re-used in FAFDM, as is allegedly the final duel (with Fonda monitoring the proceedings to ensure a fair duel).

Already mentioned it on the other thread: Michel Ray, who plays Kip (Betsy Palmer's son), would go on to play Farraj in "Lawrence of Arabia" (see signature) before becoming an Olympic skiier and successful banker.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:24:09 PM by Groggy » Logged

Saturday nights with Groggy
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:07:49 PM »

I've seen this some time ago. It was okay, nothing mindblowing.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:33:31 AM »

I've seen this some time ago. It was okay, nothing mindblowing.

Agreed what is interestingabout it is the depiction of the bounty hunter as a hero.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 09:06:06 AM »

Agreed what is interestingabout it is the depiction of the bounty hunter as a hero.
Yes, that's true.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »

The Tin Star (1957)  4/5  Henry Fonda as the grizzled bounty hunter and Anthony Perkins as the inexperienced sheriff looking for some guidance.  Pretty tame for an Anthony Mann western overall, but I enjoyed it.  Two spaghetti-related things to mention, LVC plays one of the bad guys as is typical with his 50s roles, and Henry Fonda's entrance.

He comes riding into town with his most recent capture, a dead man tied to a horse with his hand poking out from under the blanket.  It looked like something straight out of a spaghetti western.  Pretty cool entrance.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »

Enteraining and well shot  (it's Mann so I didn't expect any less) but the climax doesn't work for me.
I just don't find it believable that a large portion of the population of a quaint town would risk jail by joining the posse of the town bad apple.

When watching I was reminded of the ridiculous scene in the 3:10 remake where Charlie Prince persuades the townspeople to go against their sheriff.

7/10

Not amongst Mann's best.

p.s. I had a laugh when the main villain, after being shot, backs up right into the camera and nearly brings it down.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 07:54:13 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »

This is one of the few Westerns that he's in where he doesn't die on screen.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is another film where his baddie character isn't killed.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 02:29:34 PM »

This is very good, but it has 3 minus: the B&W, Perkins and Brand as main villain (he's good, but his motivations weak). Still it gets 7\10, maybe even more.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »

Saw this (second viewing) on TCM.

I like this movie. I give it a 7.5/10

I'm a huge Henry Fonda fan. The tutoring/mentoring bit can be a bit heavy-handed at times, but generally this is pretty good.

The potentially great gag of the doctor rolling into town for his own birthday and he's dead, is ruined, because the movie implies in the strongest possible terms that the doc will be dad. If the movie had not told us beforehand that the doc was already dead - and it wouldn't have taken too much imagination to have it done properly - it could have been a great gag.

One of the best things about this movie is the incredibly amazing cinematography.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 05:36:16 AM »

One of the best things about this movie is the incredibly amazing cinematography.

I remember it looking like an episode of a TV western series.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:38:03 AM »

I remember it looking like an episode of a TV western series.

I have never seen a TV Western. If TV Westerns look like this, then they must look amazing  Wink A very rich black and white  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM