Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:08:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  His status in Italy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: His status in Italy  (Read 4755 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »

What is his status in Italy? Is he famous? I mean does like everybody know who he is? Or is it like that everyone thinks: "Isn't he dead already?" This is something I'm really interested in. Could some of our Italian members enlighten this, please.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 01:17:27 PM »

What is his status in Italy? Is he famous? I mean does like everybody know who he is? Or is it like that everyone thinks: "Isn't he dead already?" This is something I'm really interested in. Could some of our Italian members enlighten this, please.

You can bet anything that he's viewed as a god, royalty like, the way Sergio is.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »

He's not as popular as other pop music greats like Lucio Battisti or Adriano Celentano because he was practically off the scene until (alas!) he started to do concerts: with this I just mean that his name doesn't comes up automatically when doing a popularity contest. But whenever his name comes up people, even laymen, talk about him with awe (that is a reason why, maybe, he is rather left apart in many people subconscious: he's perceived as so great to be outside the limited musical competence of the talker). God is not a word that comes up, but genius is almost the rule.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:20:56 PM »

Actually, he's dead.

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 07:33:51 AM »

He's not as popular as other pop music greats like Lucio Battisti or Adriano Celentano because he was practically off the scene until (alas!) he started to do concerts: with this I just mean that his name doesn't comes up automatically when doing a popularity contest. But whenever his name comes up people, even laymen, talk about him with awe (that is a reason why, maybe, he is rather left apart in many people subconscious: he's perceived as so great to be outside the limited musical competence of the talker). God is not a word that comes up, but genius is almost the rule.
OK. Thanks, Titoli!

Off-topic, I guess the departure of Pavarotti is the hottest topic there right now, right?

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:54:03 AM »

OK. Thanks, Titoli!

Off-topic, I guess the departure of Pavarotti is the hottest topic there right now, right?

Poor Pavarotti. Cry Cry Cry Cry He was trully a gift from god that man.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »

Yeah, but his best, if I have to believe what Opera buffs say, was given in the late '60's and the '70's, more sporadically later. Anyway, Pavarotti gave me always the impression he was a very good person, though I would have preferred he wouldn't have mixed himself with all those ignorant celebrities and the rockers and concentrate more on his art. He didn't need that money. It was a torture listening to him singing all that crap in those hideous rock concerts and the 3 tenors stuff (his rendition of My Way was even worse than Syd Vicious') though I always managed to catch only some snippet.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »

Yeah, but his best, if I have to believe what Opera buffs say, was given in the late '60's and the '70's, more sporadically later. Anyway, Pavarotti gave me always the impression he was a very good person, though I would have preferred he wouldn't have mixed himself with all those ignorant celebrities and the rockers and concentrate more on his art. He didn't need that money. It was a torture listening to him singing all that crap in those hideous rock concerts and the 3 tenors stuff (his rendition of My Way was even worse than Syd Vicious') though I always managed to catch only some snippet.
hi titoli,
people compromise in this business to get exposure.
so important.
he's in the history books.....
that's all one can expect.
in his case, deserved.
archie.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:25:17 PM »

Hi arch,

hi titoli,
people compromise in this business to get exposure.

That reminds me of the time Dylan sang at a catholic rally with the Pope on stage, a few years ago. The Pope didn't die that day but I'm sure that was what made him a marked man in the end. His face what the portrait of human suffering while Dylan whined Forever Young.  He stood the first 2 or 3 songs (his capacity for suffering Dylan's songs was greater than mine, I'll give it to him) and then left. Now the Pope didn't need Dylan, but stoically stood there out of courtesy, probably. I still believe he didn't have to do that. Neither had Pavarotti. 99% of gifted people do compromise. But there's always a 1% who don't. (That's why I don't even like all Morricone's concerting instead of sticking to composing of these last years, BTW).
Only good thing is to know that the new Pope won't probably support this kind of whoring to masses. He is a valiant pianist and wants to reintroduce Gregorian Chant and abolish the guitar mass. Which is only right. I could start going to mass again only for that reason.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »

Actually, he's dead.

Don't direspect the MAN rr! Angry

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 05:21:12 AM »

hi,
maybe ennio should have stayed retired.........
a friend gave me a DVD of his Munich 2004 concert.
great recording of a fairly mediocre performance.
the orchestra looked like they were asleep most of the time.
the tempi were all over the shop.
i've better recent ones on youtube.
and that soprano (red dress).....she killed Ecstasy of Gold dead.
faked a lot of the phrasing. (it IS fairly hard to sing).
i think a lot of these appearances by ennio served to make him visible to the public again.
good, but no cigar.
DR9.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM