Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:55:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Locations
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Locations  (Read 59162 times)
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2008, 03:53:12 AM »

Good idea! I'd also like to see directions to the Arch and something about the Almeria locations.
Yeah, that was kind of part of the idea. At least Cusser knows how to get to the arch, right? And Ramon seems to have been to the Almeria sites more than once.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »

I forgot about the other Monument Valley sites. It would be cool to know the exact places where the camera was standing. And because we're living the era of technology, codes for GPS devices (I can't remember the correct term right now) would also be handy.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2008, 11:22:20 AM »

dj maybe we should meet up in the city and check out the Brooklyn sites some day,
I'm game, although it will be a while before I have the time to devote to the project. Meanwhile, anything you can tell me about cinemas and the like in Manhattan will be appreciated. Also, where's the best bookstore for books on films? Do you know anything about snagging tickets for Broadway shows? Where's the best pizza?

Anything you can help in this regard . . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »

Pizza, The Original Ray's down in the Village but there are lots of good Italian pizza places especially check out the Arthur Avenue section in the Bronx its close to Westchester, as far as cinema always check out the revival houses, the Forum & Angelica down in the Village (Greenwich Village) and the films and film series at MoMA (Museum of Modern Art ) on 53rd St Manhattanm and also the AMMI (American Museum of Moving Image) in Long Island City Queens.

As far as bookstores there are a lot of them in the city I knew some good ones in the 70's when I lived there but now I wouldn't be able to say. Rizzoli's used to be on 5th Ave but it moved to 57th St, and I haven't been in there since I came back from Montana.

Broadway tickets go to Playbill.com.

Also start using mass transit Metro North from White Plains to Grand Central Terminal, less hassel and easy, then you can walk & subway all around the city  Afro

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:51:16 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »

Yeah, I already figured that out about the train into Grand Central, but thanks for the other advice, especially about the pizza and movie houses. Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2008, 06:38:52 PM »

Yep, I've been to the arch, played Once/West music loud, took photos, stayed about 1/2 hour.  14 miles north of the AZ-Utah border, west side, dirt road, not marked.  That 432 sign is in about maybe 75 feet, and looked just like in the photo, almost like 437.  About half-mile in you can see it to the right, just follow the road.  Obviously it was built at that angle so Leone could frame the famous peaks in the arch, the move the camera up so it would be obvious that it wasn't faked.  From that location you don't get any 163 highway traffic in the background either, so traffic wouldn't need to be stopped.  I think the storm in the distance (to the left?) was just happenstance - but looked great - that stuff happens out here, especially in late summer.

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2008, 02:06:58 PM »

Another movie connection with the area close to the arch.

The runway visible in the pictures below was used in the Eiger Sanction the scene where Clint flies in and George Kennedy is waiting to pick him up in the jeep.

Sounds a really good idea. I'd be happy to help.

In addition to Cusser and Ramon, there's Denys (pictures of the arch) and Paulo (Monument Valley).

In the meantime previous pictures of the location of the arch:

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »

Looks like a place to visit if I ever get to NYC Afro

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »