Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 10:05:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Locations
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Locations  (Read 58869 times)
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »

Awesome... I'd never have the patience to go through such small details, I'm afraid...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
geoman-1
Bounty Killer

In everyone's life there is a "Summer of '42"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 10:42:04 AM »

You really did your homework A1. Good job! Afro

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 07:06:16 AM »

A1, you must understand that we are expecting hellalot pictures Wink It would be so awesome if you some how could get to the rooftops Cool

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »

I'm highly movitated on this since I'll be visiting the city in 6 months time.

I wish you much more time for it than I had. Smiley I was there for only two days and had to see most of the things that everybody has to see in New York, so I had to be content with visiting Brooklyn Bridge and staying in Brooklyn, seeing all the Jews in the streets... actually, I hadn't seen the film yet when I was visiting. Tongue

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »

This all just makes one wonder all the work that goes into finding such locations in the first place for some of these films. 

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »

This all just makes one wonder all the work that goes into finding such locations in the first place for some of these films. 

Exactly. It must be an incredible amount of work and time... especially when they had no clever internet maps in 80's!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »

great stuff!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
rusty26
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 06:33:48 AM »

A fantastic job A1.  How did you go about to find all this information?  When is your trip to NY anyway?  I look forward to read more from you. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »

A1, you're really doing a fantastic job here. Great way to use the unique strengths of the internet, both to pursue info, extract and preserve it. This thread alone validates the whole board.

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2008, 11:27:17 AM »

As well as finding all these great locations, Leone and his crew did a fantastic job transforming South 8th St Williamsburg.

From the movie

This was a great scene !!!!     Reminded me of the hustle and bustle in Flagstone once the camera moved over the railroad station.

filmyfan
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 07:13:32 AM »

This is a fantastic thread that I have only today stumbled upon after trying to see what the "new SE"DVD of OUTIA was all about !

I myself am a bit of a location nut and am also hoping to make a trip to NY later this year-hopefully I will get some time to check out some of these locations !

A book is a great idea but I guess its a niche market thing but I don't know if you are aware of a similar themed book about Chaplin's films:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Traces-Discovering-Hollywood-Through/dp/159580014X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203516150&sr=8-1

There is also one about Keaton and also Hitchcock's Bay Area locations-which I found very useful when I visited San Francisco a couple of years ago-to check out the Vertigo stuff !

One thing I hope that is recitified when or "if" we ever get a "new" DVD of OUTIA is more location/behind the scenes stills as a bonus feature (with the theme music playing underneath)...there's some great stuff on the Chaplin DVD's but without music and a similar thing was done on OUTIW-maybe its just me but I love the behind the scenes stills type pics.

Anyway thanks for reading !

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 07:14:31 PM »

again excellent stuff  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 03:59:28 AM »

You really should make a locations guide. Afro

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2008, 04:43:26 AM »

I might sort the images, having a separate page for each locality.

That seems like a very good idea.

Jewels
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »

Wow, A1!
That is amazing location work!
My name is Jewels (Julie Cohen) I played Young Peggy in the film.
I was going to respond to your earlier post asking about the rooftop scene, but when I kept scrolling down, I saw you had figured it out. Amazing!
It was great for me when we filmed that scene because I was living in Soho at the time and walked about a half a block to go to work.
One incredible thing to me was that the crew had to go around the neighborhood for a couple of weeks before the shoot and persuade people to let them take down their TV antennas. As you've said this was way before any CGI.
Another great memory of shooting that scene-
DeNiro came to the set that day for an old age make up test. I totally DID NOT recognize him!
He watched us shoot the scene and afterwards gave me a hug (yes, a HUG!) and told me I did a good job. It meant so much to me....
It was actually the only time I met him while working on the film.

I'm really enjoying cruising around this board and I'm happy to answer questions about my experience working on OUATIA.
Peace!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM