Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:03:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What was the last DVD you bought?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What was the last DVD you bought?  (Read 66651 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »

I ordered from Amazon
 the brd of Fort Apache

and the Ultimate Gangsters Collection from Warner Bros. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Gangsters-Collection-Classics-Petrified/dp/B00BCGUJ5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377404282&sr=8-1&keywords=ultimate+gangsters+collection

This boxset has four films on brd: The Public Enemy, White Heat, Little Caesar, and The Petrified Forest. (Personally, I only like TPE and WH; I do not like LC and TPF). This boxset also comes with a dvd of a 1 hour, 45-minute documentary called Public Enemies: The Golden Age of the Gangster Film; and it comes with a small 32-page hardcover book.  
Each of these four titles is available as a single brd.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:23:56 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 09, 2013, 01:26:41 AM »

When I was 16 (in 2000), Channel 9 in New York played Goodfellas; I'd never seen the movie before, and I recorded it on videotape, on my 13-inch TV/VCR combo.

In the beginning of the movie, there was a short piece by Scorsese, explaining that they had trimmed some of the violence for TV, but that they had kept in enough to show how brutal the lives of the mobsters were. He emphasized that the movie wasn't attempting to glamorize the gangster life. He also emphasized that while the movie mostly focused on Italian gangsters, there were individuals of other ethnicities in the same mob, and the movie wasn't meant to stereotype Italians. Scorsese ended his introduction by saying I still remember this clearly "Finally, Goodfellas is the sad story of gangsters everywhere."

I watched that videotape (forwarding through the commercials, of course), of the pan-n-scanned movie with overdubs on the curses and toned-down violence, and musta re-watched it two dozen times over the next few years.

So, you might say that, as much as I love the movie, I've never seen the REAL Goodfellas. Well, I was in Best Buy in Union Square the other day and saw the Goodfellas BRD for like 9 or 10 bucks, and I bought it. I hope the movie will be as good in widescreen and with all the cursing and violence   Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 20, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »

I was just in Best Buy, got this Hannibal BRD for $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/Hannibal-Blu-ray-Anthony-Hopkins-Julianne/dp/B004M7MYV0/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1382328967&sr=1-5&keywords=hannibal

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:14 AM »

From FYE I picked up Gangster Squad, Blood Simple, and the Rio Conchos/Take a Hard Ride double disc combo.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 17, 2013, 12:50:08 AM »

When I was 16 (in 2000), Channel 9 in New York played Goodfellas; I'd never seen the movie before, and I recorded it on videotape, on my 13-inch TV/VCR combo.

In the beginning of the movie, there was a short piece by Scorsese, explaining that they had trimmed some of the violence for TV, but that they had kept in enough to show how brutal the lives of the mobsters were. He emphasized that the movie wasn't attempting to glamorize the gangster life. He also emphasized that while the movie mostly focused on Italian gangsters, there were individuals of other ethnicities in the same mob, and the movie wasn't meant to stereotype Italians. Scorsese ended his introduction by saying I still remember this clearly "Finally, Goodfellas is the sad story of gangsters everywhere."

I watched that videotape (forwarding through the commercials, of course), of the pan-n-scanned movie with overdubs on the curses and toned-down violence, and musta re-watched it two dozen times over the next few years.

So, you might say that, as much as I love the movie, I've never seen the REAL Goodfellas. Well, I was in Best Buy in Union Square the other day and saw the Goodfellas BRD for like 9 or 10 bucks, and I bought it. I hope the movie will be as good in widescreen and with all the cursing and violence   Wink

I finally watched that Goodfellas blu-ray.

DJ, I'm sorry if Henry Hill deceived people like your dad in the Witness Protection Security program, but that doesn't make Goodfellas any less great a movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 11, 2014, 01:15:48 AM »

I just ordered from Amazon the BRD's of A Streetcar Named Desire, Stagecoach, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Citizen Kane.

For The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I got the UK version; this movie hasn't had an American release yet on BRD. But, according to the info on the Amazon page, it is region-free. And it is real cheap; currently, sellers on Amazon Marketplace are offering it (new, not used) for about eight-and-a-half bucks, plus $3.99 shipping. http://goo.gl/eXz13U  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:12:00 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »

just ordered the BRD's of Letter from an Unknown Woman, Out of the Past, and the French Gaumont region-free BRD of The Earrings of Madame de ...

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 24, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »

Amazon has raised the minimum order amount for free shipping to $49. It was $25 until pretty recently, then they raised it to $35, and now it is $49.

At this point, it may just be worthwhile for me to pay the $99 for Prime (which is probably Amazon's goal, anyway).

Prime would give me free shipping on stuff ordered directly from Amazon. On the other hand, the stuff on Amazon Marketplace is often cheaper than stuff from Amazon, but the stuff from Amazon Marketplace almost always has shipping costs - which often makes it about even. However, I get charged tax on the stuff ordered directly from Amazon (being a New York City resident) so it's often better for me to get from Amazon Marketplace.

I don't order all that much from Amazon - maybe like one order a month - but I guess I may try out Prime. Either way, we're not talking about much money. With the shipping costs and the tax and the blah blah blah, it probably comes out pretty close anyway  Wink

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 24, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »

With Prime you also get access to streaming video of certain titles; also, some free downloads of certain music files. It's worth trying to see if it's worthwhile. If you start and then cancel they refund a part of the money for whatever unused capacity they deem remains.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 24, 2017, 11:10:32 PM »

I just bought 4 movies on Amazon - two from Amazon.com, one from Amazon.ca and one from Amazon.uk. Always check other Amazon sites  as well as eBay  not just Amazon.com. For some discs that are expensive on Amazon.com, you can buy them cheaper on Amazon.uk or Amazon.ca.

La Bete Humaine (Criterion DVD)
Le Samourai (Criterion DVD)
All My Sons (Universal Vault Collection DVD)
The Long Night (Kino DVD)

I also bought Le Jour Se Leve - the DVD's are not cheap, so for $7.99 I bought the iTunes "HD" version download (3 GB for a 92-minute movie)

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

greenbudgie
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:57 AM »

'Kubo and the Two Strings.' I like to keep up to date with the latest PG animation releases.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 25, 2017, 05:16:26 AM »

Strange Compulsion for a ten spot from Something Weird.  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
XhcnoirX
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: April 25, 2017, 05:38:22 AM »

Received over the weekend: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid & The Big Heat UK blu-rays. Double dip for TBH, already own the French version (which comes with a book).

Update: Just got home and found blu-rays for Sudden Fear (US) and The Lady From Shanghai (UK) in my mailbox. Awesome!

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:33:37 AM by XhcnoirX » Logged

'I feel all dead inside. I'm backed up in a dark corner and I don't know who's hitting me.' - The Dark Corner (1946)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »

Class Tous Risques Criterion DVD https://goo.gl/kJv2xr

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM