Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 11:37:47 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  OUATIA and the Oscars
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OUATIA and the Oscars  (Read 1730 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:50:51 AM »

So it's well-known how the OUATIA release was so messy with the studio fucking up the release, that they forgot to enter Ennio Morricone into Oscar contention for the best score.

Can we assume the same is true for all the other Oscar categories? IMO, OUATIA deserved an Oscar (at the very least) for Best Production Design and Best Makeup; that movie has the greatest production design ever, (along with FAFDM, which has the greatest for a Western), and the makeup job aging all those characters 35 years is simply incredible.

And how about Best Picture? of course the American release was butchered, but the 229-minute version was shown at Cannes and released theatrically in Europe with such acclaim, couldn't that version have theoretically been entered into Best Picture contention (and/or Best Foreign Picture?)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 04:41:23 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:32:14 AM »

The production design for FaFDM never made a great impression on me.

All the later Leone westerns (including Nobody), some Corbucci SWs and dozens of US westerns look much better.

The only thing OuTA has in common wth a typical Oscar winner is the extravagant runtime.

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 03:58:54 AM »

I've never really cared for the Oscars [primarily because I don't agree with their decisions 99% of the time], for me, if a movie is entertaining and manages to keep me entertained throughout its entire running time, and made me come out of the theatre discussing and asking interesting questions, and wanting to watch it again, then it has done its job. OUATIA managed to do just that.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:02:49 AM »

But I will say it pisses me off how some movies can get away with a 3 + hour runtime during their release, whilst some like OUATIA get butchered to shit.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:39:28 AM »

The only thing OuTA has in common wth a typical Oscar winner is the extravagant runtime.

The Last Emperor won Best Picture three years afterwards. No reason another long, sprawling Italian epic should be exempt.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »

But The Last Emperor is a typical mainstream look at history. Far away from earlier Bertolucci films.
A typical Osacr movie imo.

If I check the best picture Oscars for this century, the only surprise is No County for Old Men. The only one which is different, the only one which is great imo. Far superior to the others.
(But I haven't seen The Artist (also a surprise for me) and 2 or 3 others)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:15:47 AM by stanton » Logged

Senza
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:38:01 AM »

I think if Leone made Leningrad, then he probably would've been recognised by now and got a nomination, or even won.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM